mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Chain Guide for <32T Chainwheel?

Have a Niner WFO (which has its own clearance issues with chainguides) and I really would prefer to just have a single front ring, but for our trails a 32T is a little tall for the steeper climbs. Is there a chainguide like the E13 LG1+ or the MRP G2 SL that works well with, say, a 26 or 28T ring? Does anyone run a smaller ring on a guide made for a 32T?

For the record, I understand there's not really a demand for such a product, just curious if something exists that anyone has tried or could recommend (and if you're going to say use the search function, just don't post). Thanks
    "I applaud your stupid idea because it is genius." - Eric Sovern, Surly

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not sure if there is a guide available for use with rings smaller than 32T. I run a MRP 1X and imagine you could modify the back plate to work with a smaller ring.... As I was typing this I searched to make sure there wasn't a production guide for this application, and found exactly what I just described; My new 1x9 crankset with MRP 1.X 29T chainguide

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Take a serious look at this product The Widgit - Single Chainring for MTB and Road bikes
    I was sceptical. I read the reviews etc and in the end got a friend to buy one. He's running it on a Ti hardtail and he says it's excellent. Very light (114gms), very quiet and does actually keep the chain on. Only thing is that it wont stand up to being bashed if you tend to do that a lot. It's also not the slickest looking piece of kit around but sometimes function trumps form right.

mtbr member
    E13 makes some trials specific chainguides. Dig around on Chain Reaction Cycles and you should find them. I think it was a 26T guide but I could be wrong.

usually cranky
    i bet you could ghetto rig something up. like a modded 1x with a stinger and granny guard.

mtbr member
    Like the op- I would like to see like a 30 for the front- run 10 speed in the rear- and be good with out a fd

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i bet you could ghetto rig something up. like a modded 1x with a stinger and granny guard.
    Yep, I've done just this to get my Spitfire using 26-28-30 rings mounted in the granny spot.

BB mount Stinger clocked upwards, and then something mounted off it for up top, Blackspire Granny God bash ring mounted in the middle ring spot.

Another chainguide alternative. [o]

I also took an ISCG-05 mount stinger with a roller and Dremeled the two Stingers to fit together (they sit in the same plane spaced propeerly off the BB shell) to give me a bit more lower chain security, but haven't needed it. Have it set so it can be taken on/off without needing to pull the cranks/bb, which is nice if I'm going to be riding where I think it may be wanted.

If you space things properly to give the chain nowhere to derail to off the top, on a hardtail or short travel bike you ought to not need more than the upper bits.

I now have a cleaner setup, with the Stinger cut and filed short/smooth, and the upper guide bolts into two holes driled/tapped into it. A bit of soft side sticky back Velcro is on the Stinger arm where the chain can rub.

It's very quiet, it's cheap, and it works very well. Lets me still have a bashring, and gives nice clearance on a low BB bike.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    i tried this and it did not work very well for me because up the top guide thing, not because of the blackspire. if you do decide and need iscg 05 you may consider something like this Blackspire Stinger ISCG 05 - blue roller, 2 months use. - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I agree on the Stinger ISCG

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    i tried this and it did not work very well for me because up the top guide thing, not because of the blackspire. if you do decide and need iscg 05 you may consider something like this Blackspire Stinger ISCG 05 - blue roller, 2 months use. - Pinkbike.com
    if you unscrew the cage part, split it in half then reattach the back part to the back plate then you will have clearance for a bash guard. i did this and it works great.

mtbr member
    if you unscrew the cage part, split it in half then reattach the back part to the back plate then you will have clearance for a bash guard. i did this and it works great.
    pretty cool idea...too bad i didn't know it BEFORE i bought a p20 from a buddy. although i will say im very happy with the p20

usually cranky
    ehhh, id rather have the p20. imo purpose built > jury rigged though i guess it has the cool factor of being "unique". light too.