undercover brother

New question here. Chain guide for 1st generation TransAM

I've been running singlespeed on my 2009 transam for some time now. Now that I this has become my only true mountain bike, I want to switch between geared and SS. What BB mounted chain guide (frame does not have ISCG tabs) will work with my shimano M660 SLX triple crankset? I'll be running 1x10.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I've been running singlespeed on my 2009 transam for some time now. Now that I this has become my only true mountain bike, I want to switch between geared and SS. What BB mounted chain guide (frame does not have ISCG tabs) will work with my shimano M660 SLX triple crankset? I'll be running 1x10.
    I suspect you can run nearly any guide if you use a BB mounted ISCG adapter. I've been using the E13 adapter for something like 8 years now with no issues. Just make sure that the crank and BB can accept an e-type front derailleur and you're good to go.

Now I will say that if you're planning on using a BB mounted chainguide as a chain tensioner for your SS aspirations, you'll probably be a bit disappointed. I never found that my guide was able to hold sufficient tension for even moderate riding, I would certainly not trust one to cranking up a hill. But I can't remember if that gen TranAM had horizontal dropouts on it or not. If it does then you would want to adjust the chainguide so that it doesn't provide any tension on the low chain in SS mode because it's bound to slip and loosen on you.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I suspect you can run nearly any guide if you use a BB mounted ISCG adapter. I've been using the E13 adapter for something like 8 years now with no issues. Just make sure that the crank and BB can accept an e-type front derailleur and you're good to go.

Now I will say that if you're planning on using a BB mounted chainguide as a chain tensioner for your SS aspirations, you'll probably be a bit disappointed. I never found that my guide was able to hold sufficient tension for even moderate riding, I would certainly not trust one to cranking up a hill. But I can't remember if that gen TranAM had horizontal dropouts on it or not. If it does then you would want to adjust the chainguide so that it doesn't provide any tension on the low chain in SS mode because it's bound to slip and loosen on you.
    Thanks! Yea my frame has the slotted track drop outs, so no need for a tensioner when running SS. So no issues running those mount adapters with outboard bearing BB?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Thanks! Yea my frame has the slotted track drop outs, so no need for a tensioner when running SS. So no issues running those mount adapters with outboard bearing BB?
    While I haven't done it myself, it shouldn't be a problem. Just drop the drive side 2.5mm spacer out and put in the ISCG adapter. Of course, there are always anomalies but it should be fine.

mtbr member
    You can always do what I've done.

Top guide + a hose clamp + a piece of metal from home depot = $5 chain guide.

Never dropped a chain either.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post

That's only $5 if you have a top guide laying around. If you only want a top guide then get an E13 XCX guide. But if you want a bash, taco bash (not sure how I feel about this without ISCG tabs), or a top and bottom guide then get a proper guide.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post

MacGyver...

Yea I will be doing a proper guide. Buy you have questioning whether I need a full guide or just a top guide...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Q: do you already have the rear derailleur? If it's a clutch style, you'll be pretty good to go just running an upper guide. If you've not bought one yet, get a clutch style.

Short cage + un-ramped ring + short as possible chain = pretty good retention on most hardtails.

I've found a top guide and clutch rear to be worry free, but before that used non-clutch rear mechs with a bash ring and Jump Stop for many, many years without any issues.

If you really want a full guide, IMO, the Straitline Silent guide is the best thing going.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

undercover brother
    I actually just got hold of a mrp top guide through a trade. I'm gonna get the new zee derailluer with the clutch. I have heard good things about them. Anyone here use one?