Thread: chain drop...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

chain drop...

so i just took off my small and big chainring and threw on a bash guard and took off my front derailleur and shifter. i just got done with my first ride and i had a pretty tough time keeping the chain on. it was a pretty tech trail and it seemed like almost every other hairy section i lost my chain. it was enough to make me want to shoot my foot. anyways what would be a good somewhat light weight all mountain remedy for this problem... thanks!!!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by ketus
    so i just took off my small and big chainring and threw on a bash guard and took off my front derailleur and shifter. i just got done with my first ride and i had a pretty tough time keeping the chain on. it was a pretty tech trail and it seemed like almost every other hairy section i lost my chain. it was enough to make me want to shoot my foot. anyways what would be a good somewhat light weight all mountain remedy for this problem... thanks!!!
    I would try reducing the chain length to the absolute minimum and put an n-gear jump stop on it.
    Cost should be about $11. $1 for a chain pin, $10 for the jump stop.
    -Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Well, if you are not wanting a chainguide, then get yourself a non-ramped chainring. That will solve your problem.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    when you measure your chain you wrap it around your big front ring and your big rear cog
    then add 2 links, since you removed your big front ring you need to shorten the chain

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    yeah i tried reducing my chain length but i wasnt sure how short is too short. so how tight should the chain feel when it is on both the big ring and the big cog?

mtbr member
    My friend just installed an E-13 DRS chainguide on my enduro and it I'm having much less chain related issues. I previously threw the chain a few times per ride. I'm still working out a few bugs but its a tremendous improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Riding a Rig.
    yeah i tried reducing my chain length but i wasnt sure how short is too short. so how tight should the chain feel when it is on both the big ring and the big cog?
    run the chain without going through the derauilure to measure. get the chain as tight as you can and then add two links.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Chainguide

No matter what kind of chainring you run, you will lose your chain.

Get a chainguard. E13 SRS will keep your chain on in any terrain. Any other sort of workaround (non-ramped ring, third eye) will still result in chain dropping sometimes.

JMH

if you want a super light chain guide, go with a Gamut. www.gamutusa.com .
    I put one on few months ago, sheds mud easily, CS is great, and did i say it's super light?

crashes in parkinglot
    If you are gonna get a n-stop why not just put your front der back on? Adjust the limit screws so you don't need to have a shifter.

If you are hitting alot of rocky areas then a chain guide will be the ticket. the Evil/E13 guide that was suggested should be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    No matter what kind of chainring you run, you will lose your chain.

Get a chainguard. E13 SRS will keep your chain on in any terrain. Any other sort of workaround (non-ramped ring, third eye) will still result in chain dropping sometimes.

JMH
    I'll second that. Without the front derailleur the chain will drop constantly. Get a chainguard. Its kinda pricey and I haven't tried others but my E13 works flawlessly.
    Banned