Thread: Chain.. ARGGGHH

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Chain.. ARGGGHH

Okay so I been riding for a while. Normally I use to ride my NRS and the chain NEVER broke on that thing. Now I got this Awesome Heckler.. but I have snapped the chain twice already. I been running the Shimano HG73 and am afraid that if I upgrade to the HG92 or what ever I will have the same problem.

Unfortunately I dont have my NRS with me to see what chain is on it so I come to the Forum gods to ask for your assistance in telling this clyde what sort of chain to run for an all mountain rig.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It's not the type of chain, it's probably the chain length. The Heckler's wheelbase changes as the suspension is compressed. You will need to let the air out of the shock or remove the spring to make sure that the suspension cycles properly. If it does, and the derailleur isn't too stretched, I don't know what to tell you. It isn't the bike, though, and it probably isn't the type of chain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been running Sram for years and have yet to break one. I broke 1 shimano chain about 12 years ago. It wasn't the chains fault as I removed a couple of links and didn't have any of the special replacement pins left so I just reused one of the pins that I pushed out. It lasted about a dozen rides after that. Are you reusing the pins?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Okay I might be asking a totally newbie question, and I searched google "mtbr Suspension Cycle" but I have no idea what that means.

As to the other post. I am not reusing pins. To be honest the chain is brand new has maybe 5 or 6 rides on it.

T.W.O
    Poor guy, I saw your post on the MMBA site and you were so excited. Don't worry, it was too windy out :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah it sucks.. 4 more days of snow and rain starts tomorrow. I wanted to ride this thing so bad.. Now I gotta get the TCR our again and hit the river trail (yawn.)

But yeah so is it the chain type or is some step up on the heckler I have no idea about.

T.W.O
    Yeah me and my friend have been riding the river trail for weeks, hit the dog park section, it's actual dirt and you can get some big air off the roots. We just ride that thing over and over, nice little session.

usually cranky
    to cycle the suspension: let all the air out of your shock and push down on your saddle until the shock is bottomed out. check that the deraliuer still has some spring to it. if thats all good im gonna guess you are cross chaining or shifting under load.

Blue Pig
    Would the number of links have something to do with this issue?
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    okay.. didnt know thats what its called. but I already did that. Tons of spring in RD gonna take it in tomorrow and get it fixed.. Figuring even if its snowing tomorrow my fat ass will be riding..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quicker401
    okay.. didnt know thats what its called. but I already did that. Tons of spring in RD gonna take it in tomorrow and get it fixed.. Figuring even if its snowing tomorrow my fat ass will be riding..
    Sweet. I love riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So you put the chain in the biggest chainring and biggest cog and the derailleur is not pulled completely straight at any point of the suspension travel? Hmm. Are your chainrings or cogs worn? Are your derailleurs properly adjusted? If the chains rubbing wrong or of it's not sitting properly on the gears, it might put too much stress on the links at just the wrong moment. Cross-chaining (putting the chain in the biggest chainring and biggest cog or smallest and smallest) could definitely overly-stress your chain, like mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No the derailleur is almost dam near straight with no suspension.. Hell it was hard has heck to get the chain wrapped around. Going to the bike store in about 2 hours or so..

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by quicker401
    No the derailleur is almost dam near straight with no suspension.. Hell it was hard has heck to get the chain wrapped around. Going to the bike store in about 2 hours or so..
    well theres your problem...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    yeah but then I realized while the shock was full compressed by the time I would get the chain around it had expanded.. Either way new Sram chain installed. He used just a standard 9 speed chain..