mtbr member

CB opium wheelset vs Hadley/Flow

building a AM 29er so obviously wheelset rotating mass is critical also flex

just looking for opinions of the crankbrothers vs the hadley flows wheelset I am leaning towards

hadley/ flow setup lots of threads on those but not many threads on the CB as far as engagement, durability etc

cost is a considering factor as well over 1K for a wheelset is rather steep

any opinions

http://www.crankbrothers.com/wheel_opium.php

http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/wheels/index.php

Did I catch a niner?
    I think you are better off with handbuilt. They are easier to service in many areas since the parts are generic to most anywhere.

CB is rather proprietary on their parts so if something breaks it has to go back to them, unless the LBS you get them from just replaces but I doubt they have 1k wheelsets on hand.

I am going to be building up some white 29er flows this winter with my old hubs (have a lefty) and spokes, however I will replace the nipples with brass.

EDIT: What tires are you going to be running? The Flow is definately a wide rim and will stretch out that tire.

pink
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 11-28-2009 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    I was leaning toward the white flows as well for some bling factor but am curious what the weight difference with the white vs black rims are...??

agreed- the serviceability is a +

why brass??

Did I catch a niner?
    Are black nipples a bad idea? Brass / Aluminium?
    Here is an arguement about brass vs aluminum nips.

NoTubes.com claims the black are 525g I would image the powder coating does not give that huge of a weight difference, their website does not say.

pink