mtbr member
    Jun 2006

CB mallet M's or shimano m-424...who likes what

I have been a platform rider all my life but i finally caved and tried out clipless. I must say i did like it and I was faster, go figure. right now i have a cheap lender set of clipless pedals (shimano m520's) and im useing the multi-release cleats. I want to get a nicer set of pedals and i am will to spend so.....I have been looking at 2 options

1. CB mallet M's
    2.shimano m-424, would get the m-545's but there heavy

i have already searched and have determined that there is no pedal that i can use as a clipless and as a platform. another words when i try new things and go big i use vans and plat's. I would like to not have to keep switching the pedals out but i guess that i just going to have to happen. so im trying to find out what people think about these pedals for clipless use only. i like the fact that with the spd multi cleat i can pop out in different directions and i have read that the CB is a heel kick-out only cleat system. also does haveing a bigger platform help when being clipped in and doing drops, jumps and climing?

mtbr member
    I use a set of CB candies and love them. CB has great customer service (I broke one of the wings on my third ride with them which they promptly replaced). The Mallet Cs also weight less than the top end Shimao offering M-647 I think.

They only negatives that I've seen so far are:
    1) The composite platform on the candies is going to wear out fairly quickly. However, that shouldn't be a problem with the malltes since it has an aluminum platform.

2) The end cap that protects the bearings, is subject to coming loose. A little loctite fixed that problem. Also with it being in the composite pedal body, it is subject to damage as the pedal body wears out or is damaged. Again, this may not be a problem because of the different pedal body on the mallets.

Other that, I absolutely love my CB pedals and would definitely buy another pair, probably mallets next time. Engagement is very secure, you don't pop out when you don't want to. Release is easy, although it may take a few rides to get really comfortable with it. As far as a heel out only release, I don't know. I usuallly do it that way anyway, and in an emergency bail you do what you practice. So if you always do a heel out release that's what you'll do when **** hits the fan. As to being easier to actually ride with, the bigger plattform will probably feel more stable when doing drops and jumps, I don't think climbing will be any diffenent. Just my thoughts.

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

TNC
    noMAD man

Not a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    I have been a platform rider all my life but i finally caved and tried out clipless. I must say i did like it and I was faster, go figure. right now i have a cheap lender set of clipless pedals (shimano m520's) and im useing the multi-release cleats. I want to get a nicer set of pedals and i am will to spend so.....I have been looking at 2 options

1. CB mallet M's
    2.shimano m-424, would get the m-545's but there heavy

i have already searched and have determined that there is no pedal that i can use as a clipless and as a platform. another words when i try new things and go big i use vans and plat's. I would like to not have to keep switching the pedals out but i guess that i just going to have to happen. so im trying to find out what people think about these pedals for clipless use only. i like the fact that with the spd multi cleat i can pop out in different directions and i have read that the CB is a heel kick-out only cleat system. also does haveing a bigger platform help when being clipped in and doing drops, jumps and climing?
    The reason I say that is because that Mallet is a quality pedal, and the 424 is a cheap pedal. The only fair matchup would be between that Mallet and a 647, the newer generation Shimano DX platform clip. The resin cage on the 424 doesn't have a good retention system on the outside end of the spindle, so the first good whack on the end of the pedal dislodges the spindle cover cap and the disables the spring. And shortly after that the resin cage is wallowing around on the end of the spindle and then later comes off. I didn't have a lot of problem with the 424 on my Bullits because they have really tall BB heights. On my Nomad I went through 3 sets of 424s in just several rides. I switched to 647s...problem solved. Though the 647 also has a resin cage, it is a totally different material and attaches the end of the spindle in much more secure manner. You can also get parts for the 647. I notice that DH'ers who use Shimano clipless are using the 647 now.

On your question about how clipless platforms help...they do give more security in really rough terrain, and definitely yield way more power to the cranks for step ups and such. There is definitely a large preferential element to pedals, especially as it pertains to clipless or flats, and it may come down more to what riding you're doing. I think serious FR riding is probably better done on flats due to the unusual nature and hazard of the kinds of moves and actions being done on the bike. Bailing in more aggressive FR moves is common and certain hopping moves can be done better on flats. But this is the AM forum, so I'm guessing you're doing more trail than hardcore FR. If so, the clipless platform pedals provide more benefits than negatives. In technical terrain where you have to clip out to dab and where rocks and baby heads try to separate you from your pedals, the clipless platforms IMO are really superior to non-platform clip pedals. You can reacquire a clipless platform much better and that split second situation of not being able to clip in still allows you something to substantially put your feet on while you do reacquire the cleat.

Now, many riders are very capable of using non-platform clips and flats in all manner of conditions and do it well. I always contend that in a trail situation, and even in very aggressive, technical trail the clipless platforms are better overall for the reasons mentioned. But not everyone is wired the same. Many pro DH'ers for example use flats and many use clipless platforms, so go figure. The flats, clipless platforms, and non-platform clipless are all options for good reasons...people are different.

Both the Mallets and 647s are good pedals. My only concern with Mallets is that you cannot clip out on a CB pedal until you turn your shoe the required amount of degrees. It will not come out. The Shimanos allow you to tension the pedal retention device to your preference, so that even if you have one of those millisecond crashes with no time to prepare, you do come out of the pedals. Everything's a compromise. You just have to find what suits you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ok so the 424 are really cheap, i chose those over the 647 or 545 becuase of the weight. I dont do any "real FR" so the clipless for tech trail stuff and 5' drops is nice. like i said i am faster and feel more stable in clips so i like them but if i do feel like just jumping/droping bigger then ill just put some platforms back on. so here is an example for why i like the spd setup.

going into a turn and there is slick mud in the turn and i take it and the rear slides out, by pure instinct(sp) i whip my foot out to pivot off of. when i was clipped in i was able to do this with no problems at all (it was kind of neat i thought). i wasnt even thinking "oh im clipped in twist your foot out", i just whipped the foot out. becuase i didnt have the tension that high( 2.5 turns in from loossest). if useing the CB setup would this be able to happen?

let me say though that i am leaning toward the mallet M becasue of the weight and the bigger platform. actually seen a set of DX's and thought they were so heavy and "clunky".

mtbr member
    I can get my foot out of my CBs with no problem. I regularly find myself unclipping in similar situations with out een a thought. The only time I had an issue was when I lost one of my cleat bolts and the cleat was spinning around. Other than that release is very intuitive. I started on a pair of Cheap Nashbar clipless, similar to all shimano and other SPD type pedals. When i switched to CBs the release was just as easy, but I don't have near as many unintentional releases where my foot comes out when I don't want it to.

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC

My only concern with Mallets is that you cannot clip out on a CB pedal until you turn your shoe the required amount of degrees. It will not come out. The Shimanos allow you to tension the pedal retention device to your preference, so that even if you have one of those millisecond crashes with no time to prepare, you do come out of the pedals.
    True. But you can change the degrees depending on which way you mount the cleat. You can click out heal or toe, but one degree is less than the other (hence cleat mount selection).

I'm running the Mallet C's and have once again enjoyed using clip-in pedals. Also using the 50/50's on more DH type runs, but have used them on the same trails that I'm currently using the Mallet's.

Livin' the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks
    ok so the 424 are really cheap, i chose those over the 647 or 545 becuase of the weight. I dont do any "real FR" so the clipless for tech trail stuff and 5' drops is nice. like i said i am faster and feel more stable in clips so i like them but if i do feel like just jumping/droping bigger then ill just put some platforms back on. so here is an example for why i like the spd setup.

going into a turn and there is slick mud in the turn and i take it and the rear slides out, by pure instinct(sp) i whip my foot out to pivot off of. when i was clipped in i was able to do this with no problems at all (it was kind of neat i thought). i wasnt even thinking "oh im clipped in twist your foot out", i just whipped the foot out. becuase i didnt have the tension that high( 2.5 turns in from loossest). if useing the CB setup would this be able to happen?

let me say though that i am leaning toward the mallet M becasue of the weight and the bigger platform. actually seen a set of DX's and thought they were so heavy and "clunky".
    Mallet M's are a great choice in my opinion. I had a set of Shimano 545's that I rode for years. A few months ago I got a new 575 and wanted to try something new, so I went with the Mallet M's. I rode a friend's bike w/ 747's for about 4 months and I decided I wanted to stay w/ an external cage. For the few seconds you're searching for the clip, especially on rough terrain, it's nice to have a cage you can pedal for a while. Once you're clipped in though, you can't tell the difference between a cage and no cage. I was worried about a different engagement mechanism, but the CB's have been great. True, you can't adjust release, but unless you set the SPD's really loose you have to twist to get out of them too. I like the true float of the CB's and w/ the cleats set for a 15 degree release, twisting out quickly is not an issue. I thought about the DX, but caged pedals are heavy enough and the M's are the lightest I found. Get them, you won't be disappointed!
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

Just another FOC'er
    I've got Mallets on a 5-Spot and 545s on my old Bullit. If mud is a concern IMHO the Mallets are far better. Mud has almost no effect on them, whereas the 545s get totally jammed up and you get stuck in the pedals.

...but, I don't use clipless for at all for FR and DH, so my pedals have a pretty easy life.

A friend who does everything with Mallets has gone through at least two wings and one axle in the past couple years due to breakage. They definitely aren't as strong as the Shimanos. CB customer service has been great for him, but any type of failure can really screw a ride up.

mtbr member
    I have been using CB's for some years now. I had a pair of mallets on my Spot for a couple of years and totally abused them. The platform came off the spindle during a ride. I had taken the stainless teeth off as they tend to bite me alot.They looked absolutely thrashed. I took them to CB in Laguna Canyon(I figured what the heck,living close by helps) They did not blink and rebult both my pedals on the spot no charge. I have since switch to candies on my Spot, no problems have them on a couple of bikes and the mallets on a back up FS.

Oh, So Interesting!
    647s clear mud better (than 424 or 545), are stronger than the lower end Shimanos or Mallets, and the resin cage slides on rocks better than alum or mag. If you hit the pedals on rocks a lot the mallet M might not hold up as well, Magnesium is a very soft metal, somewhat like cheese.. The Mallets can also unclip if the bottom of the clip hits a rock. Did CB ever solve the rapid cleat wear problem? Isn't the weight difference only around 100g?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    I have Mallet M's. They were my first - and only - clipless pedals.

Rather than "learning" the pedals on easy terrain (wise), I jumped right into tecnical terrain with them (lame). After a few harsh crashes, I chose to "sacrifice" the 1st set of cleats by filing the retention ridges down a bit. This allowed them to release much easier. Unorthodox, but I got to have my cake and eat it too.

So fwiw, you can adjust the relese tension, and float, by filing the cleats.

Birthday Collector
    I have been riding the CB Mallet C's on my '03 Enduro for close to 4 years now. I have rebuilt them once in that time and no problems with the pedals in any conditions with about 5200 miles on that pair. I have the Mallet M's on my Ransom that I built up last year, and they are the same, just lighter. Hopefully I will have the same performance/reliability that I got from the first set. I put Candy C's on a touring bike and the Candy Ti on my Roubaix. The pedals clip in easily, I have never had a release issue with them except one time that I crashed off trail and tried to ride it out - got "buried" in some heavy brush and could not release because I could not rotate my foot any direction at all! (Once they are worn in a bit, significant forward or rearward impact or load with pop them loose - but I couldn't achieve that laying there!) I think that these pedals absolutely rock, but I don't like the minimalist egg-beater only models - I like something under my feet. Try the pedals out somewhere. Some shops carry demo pedals. You may pay a bit more to try them out and buy them at a shop, but you will get the chance to make sure you like them without laying out your cash. I don't really like the SPD system, but I have friends that like SPD better than CB - it's personal preference. I also like having the same pedal style on all my bikes, so any pairs of shoes work, and I can keep a set of extra cleats around for "any time" need! Good luck on your decision.

never ender
    yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about releasing from the CBs in an emergency. The Eggbeater spring makes it hard to tell whether or not you're in or out sometimes, but I've never had my Eggbeaters fail to let go in a crash. They're actually much better in that regard than the couple pairs of cheap Shimanos I've had.