mtbr member
    Dec 2008

CB eggbeaters on a AM bike

Hi guys,

What do you thing for having eagbeaters on a 140 front/rear AM bike?
    Does it have any sense .. ?
    Are there any restrictions/risks due to their size during riding ..

Thanx

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the axle is really what holds your weight, and the axle on them is a similar size to every other pedal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    And which release angle holds stronger - 15 or 20 degree?

Ok, and what about the platform? when you have a bigger or some size platform
    does it mean that you will be more stable on downhill sections or not?

Or when your pedals are clipless it does not matter if there is a platform,
    cause the spring is holding you

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy
    Hi guys,

What do you thing for having eagbeaters on a 140 front/rear AM bike?
    Does it have any sense .. ?
    Are there any restrictions/risks due to their size during riding ..

Thanx
    Pedals are really more of a personal thing, than an XC/AM/DH thing. Ride what you are comfortable with!

I have a bud who uses CB Mallets for most of his riding, but puts platforms on for bike parks because being clipped makes him uneasy on tech stuff.

I use shimano 520s for EVERYTHING because once I clipped in, I could never deal with platforms again. I like being clipped in on techy stuff now that I am used to it. I like the control and I like to commit to obstacles.

Now if you are hitting some serious dirt jumps or planning on doing tailwhips you may want platforms (and not an AM bike). But normal, small jumps are fine clipped in once you are used to it.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

trail addict
    And which release angle holds stronger - 15 or 20 degree?

Ok, and what about the platform? when you have a bigger or some size platform
    does it mean that you will be more stable on downhill sections or not?

Or when your pedals are clipless it does not matter if there is a platform,
    cause the spring is holding you
    both release angle are the same "strength". One takes a 15 deg twist to release, the other takes a 20 deg twist to release. Start with 15 until you get used to it.

As for platforms vs reg eggbeaters, again, personal preference.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    OK, i will be more concrete
    For AM bike which pedals will be better to put - eggbeaters or candy's?
    Is there any essential difference between them when downhilling?

Could it be said that candy's are more secure on descents or not?

mtbr member

I switched from egg beaters, to candy's, to 50/50's when I switched from XC to AM. Now I dabble back and forth between the 50/50's and the candy's... It's a personal preference thing, but I definitely prefer more of a platform for AM than the egg beater offers...

mtbr member
    I like having the small platform so I really love my CB Acid 2's. I have used Egg Beaters but prefer the platform.
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I run Candys on one bike and eggbeaters on another. The difference is minimal.
    Candys are a little bit harder to clip in to, but when you fail, the platform is so small you're almost as likely to slip of anyway...

trail addict

OK, I will be more concrete-personal preference.

If YOU want to unclip for some sections, then YOU will probably want some type of platform.

If YOU like being clipped in for everything, the a platform is meaningless to YOU.

AM is irrelevant to pedals/seats/grips.

If you want to know what kind of pedals you should buy, get something cheap and used off of ebay and see if you like it. I went to toe clips for a few trail rides (borrowed from a friend) and decided to go all the way to 520s on the advice of a few friends who were using them-there was an adjustment period, but I never wanted a platform because the shoes that take cleats tend to not be grippy enough in the soles.

Sorry if I am coming off like a jerk, but you just gotta try it to understand. Like I said, get something cheap and try it. Or try to borrow somebody's spares. Only you can decide if you are comfortable-it's like handlebar rises/bends, seat shapes, grips.

mtbr member
    I have a XC bike that I have eggbeaters on, and an AM bike that I have Candy's on. I have ridden both bikes on all the same trails. I'm really indifferent about which pedal I'm riding. I don't feel like the Candy's platform helps a ton. If you want a platform, I would but mallets. The acids don't look grippy to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have candy sl,s on my am bike.Did have mallets they are quite big and bulky.I ride everything clipped in,I used to do dh and freeride and used crankbrothers mallet m's for all of it.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

CB pedals

I run egg beaters on my Mojo and on my SS. I have Candy's that get swapped around on other bikes as needed. When I hit the lifts though I use platforms.

I love the egg beater design in general, no matter what flavor they come in. I always say that if you can get in, you can get out. I've had my feet caked in mud and when I finally managed to get my cleat connected to the pedal I could still get it out. Not the same in those Shimano pedals. No way.

As for strength, I've been using one pair of egg beaters since they first came out. I need to change out the cleats every few months when they get too sloppy but otherwise, a little grease keeps them squeak free and running smooth.
    Ride hard. Ride often.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I swap back and forth between eggbeaters and flats--just depends on what type of terrain I'll be on that day. It takes about a minute to switch 'em out . . . in the end, though, it's really a personal preference as to what's most comfortable for you.

mtbr member
    Crank Bros. Acid's all day, everyday....although I just picked up some flats and would like to be able to ride both clipless and flats.

mtbr member
    I run egg beaters on normal rides but for more technical stuff I use platforms.
    2013 SC Tallboy LTc
    2011 SC Tallboy C
    2010 Jackal
    2012 Heckler

Double-metric mtb man
    I ran EB's on a 130 mm trail bike for a while. The were good, but I decided I wanted some platform for the more tech stuff or for riding in the slick, so I went to Acids. The Acids aren't like Mallets in terms of platform size or grip, but they are decent for an in between pedal.

YMMV
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My personal opinion after using egg beaters for over 10 years is stay away from them on an AM bike. I started doing some AM riding here in Arizona and went through 4 sets of egg beaters in three weeks. The beater arms have a tendency to break/crack with increased stepping force and will break if you ever are on/off real quick (as you are applying major force to the pedal). Also, if you are unlucky (which we all are) once in awhile, hitting a rock will break one of the wings right off. I ride pretty hard most would say but I would rather have a dependable pedal if you are doing true AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd go with Time ATAC's.