Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. carbon seatposts

interested to see how many are using carbon seatposts and whether there are any horror stories when used for AM riding. thx

more carbon=more awesome
    Have never and will never use a carbon post.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mbtr member
    It's impossible to use a carbon seatpost on an AM bike. Installing a carbon seatpost on an AM bike turns it in to an XC bike.

EDR
    I had a cf RF post on my first Yeti. It would never stay in place so I sold it and got a Thomson. My issue likely had nothing to do with it being CF, maybe it was just not a good fit. Other than that I had no complaints. I also run a CF bar and if I had to pick which one gave me more nervous vibes it would be the bar. Standing up and mashing on steep hills can put a tremendous amount of stress on the bars, but to date it's held up just fine.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 10-24-2008 at 09:53 PM.

mtbr member
    ive beat the hell out out of my origin8 carbon bar and its just fine. i will likely get a thompson. still seems like not too many have broken carbon bars or seatposts. i think a carbon bar on a road bike is actually more dangerous cuz the drop provides a leveraged weak point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    For me it's a cost thing, not a material thing. I can have a Thomson seatpost that is about $60 on Ebay and is within a gram or two of most carbon seatposts.

mtbr member
    I do not like keeping brittle things pointed at my ass.

For stems and seatposts there is only one choice - Thomson.

There is little weight advantage to a carbon post, and have seen several blown posts in carbon and none in aluminum. I refuse to have any carbon parts on my mountain bike anymore after several failures on a carbon Trek frame. Just my .02....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    I'd be afraid to put any carbon (well besides a headset spacer) on my AM bike if I were going to use it for actual AM/DH riding.

Too weak....
    Crowdgather: Find It On Forums

'07 Specialized Enduro SL with '08 Suspension

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoebel
    I'd be afraid to put any carbon (well besides a headset spacer) on my AM bike if I were going to use it for actual AM/DH riding.

Too weak....
    You know your Enduro comes in a full carbon frame right? I'm guessing it can be used for actual AM riding. Not that I'd buy one, I'm just saying...

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I know, the thought of riding a carbon version of my bike and taking it off any obstacle of any size terrifies me. Haha.

I scared the hell out of myself when I jumped my bike off a semi-truck loading dock, I can only imagine how a carbon frame of my bike would react. (Landed okay, but bottomed out everything HARD and hurt my ankles and wrists bad enough they both tingled for two days after.)
    Crowdgather: Find It On Forums

'07 Specialized Enduro SL with '08 Suspension

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Thomson all the way. Not only are they a work of art- they actually WORK state-of-the-art. I showed my silver Thomson Masterpiece to a longtime machinist....and even he was in complete awe, of the workmanship.

Thomson also makes the landing struts, for the 200,000-pound Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet. If almost a billion travelers can trust Thomson with their lives.....I certainly can trust them with my jewels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    You know your Enduro comes in a full carbon frame right? I'm guessing it can be used for actual AM riding. Not that I'd buy one, I'm just saying...
    Fad. Their cost for carbon frame is just higher by a couple hundred bucks, and they will charge a thousand extra from the clueless customer.

Best properties of carbon fiber are not too useful ina full suspension mountain frame, and the drawbacks are particularly dangerous.

Hardtail should be titanium or steel, full suspension should be aluminum, or maybe steel or titanium front triangle.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    interested to see how many are using carbon seatposts and whether there are any horror stories when used for AM riding. thx
    I have used them in the past. My only issue was that I moved the seat up and down a lot, and the finish began to wear, which meant that I needed to change the tension on the qr collar every time I lowered and raised it.

As far as durability, I would have no concerns. I think the stories of them failing are far overplayed. Aluminum fails as well (bars, frames, you name it). CF is very strong.

mtbr member
    My '05 Giant Reign came with a race face carbon seatpost. I've put three pretty hard seasons on it, once breaking the seat clamp screw in half. My vote would be that carbon seatposts are durable enough for AM.

mtbr member
    the percentage of weight dropped for the cost just doesnt make sense. on a 20lb xc racer ok. on a 30-32 lb AM bike not even going to notice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have a carbon post b/c I can't find one that'll fit my old GF 29.2 size, but my understanding is the weight is not so much the issue but that CF doesn't pass on the harsh vibrations like aluminum will. I have a HT so maybe if you have a FS, that is a non issue.

mtbr member

you are right sir

Weight isn't an issue.You don't need a carbon post for an FS bike.But they feel nice on a HT.As far as your odd size goes,you might be able to a shim for it.I couldn't find a 26.8 carbon post for my HT,so I went with a Thomson set back.

mtbr member
    I broke an Easton CF in half once; did not get injured but made the ride a LONG one! I'm also a supplier to the CF industry so I called Easton and spoke at length with their engineers. They were interested in what I had to say and their posts have gotten better but I now use Thomson and see absolutely NO reason to go back to CF.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Easton did give me another but I just sold it on E-bay.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

in da house CREW
    Dec 2007
    NO WAY, NO HOW. I dont care how many grams i save, ive seen to many fail. and this is coming from a guy that rides a trek carbon hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I broke one once.

I did *everything* wrong that once could possibly do to a carbon post.

I bought it used. I overtightened it. I overextended it. etc. When it did break, thank the stars, it did so very gently. It made a deep "pop" and the seat gently laid back.

And I got off of the bike, and looked at the multiple long, sharp, jagged carbon splinters that were pointing straight up, thought about what those would have done to me, and decided never to ride a carbon post again.

I have a friend, who weighs more than 200 lbs, who rides a carbon road bike seat post on his mountain bike. I can't convince him to swap it out. I hope nothing ever happens to it.

In terms of overall durability- one thing CF still cannot do......is handle CONSTANT STRESS(shifting rider weight). It is for this reason alone- is why aluminum remains superior. Alu can handle constant, measured stresses, all day long. What AL cannot do is handle EXTREME ONE-TIME STRESS(it will break, and cannot be fixed).......something Carbon Fiber is specifically designed to do, in accidents. I come from the motorsports industry and CF-reinforced cockpits have saved auto racers' lives for many years now.

However, once the CF component is compromised in a crash- it is ALWAYS immediately replaced....without question. In biking, this can add up....unless you are a lucky, sponsored rider. However, replacing components is common motorsport industry standards, and also why auto racing is an extremely costly sport.

Get a Thomson Elite, or Masterpiece seatpost- it's one of the most lightest, over-engineered bike parts ever made.....and NEVER worry about your privates ever again. Several thousand Thomson owners ALL cannot be wrong(just broke...lol!).
    Last edited by Zachariah; 10-30-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    In terms of overall durability- one thing CF still cannot do......is handle CONSTANT STRESS(shifting rider weight).
    Where did you get that from?

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Running RaceFace Next bars and post, so far so good (3 mo) but not rec for those who change seat height alot.
    Broken a Titec CF post about 7 years ago, been running Thompson but needed a set back post and decided to try something new.
    Last edited by pakdoc; 11-02-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    RTR

I am referring to a CF seatpost. I have seen more of them break, than a Thomson post. Constant stress(weight, clamp pressure) on a CF post is almost like incorrectly torqueing your stem, using carbon bars on a MTB. The eventual result is not pretty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast