Singletrack Addict!!!

Which carbon riser Easton or Race FAce

Leaning towards Easton mokelite xc 31.8 hi-rise, but also looking at the Race Face Next SL 31.8, 1.5 rise, which should be stronger? or should I just change my EA70 mid-rise to the High Rise? I read a test somewhere, about a year ago, and Race Face was the winner vs easton, truvativ, ritchey, FSA. Has this changed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Live Free or Ride!
    I've been using the EC90 Monkeylite SL 31.8 Lo Rise with no problems. Absorbs a little bit of the bumps and looks bling.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

achiever
    The Next Sl is pretty narrow at 24" (or is it 25") while the Eastons are longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Next Sl is pretty narrow at 24" (or is it 25") while the Eastons are longer
    I am in the process of making the switch from Race Face to Easton for that very reason. 24" bars just make my Mojo to twitchy for me. Other than that, they were fine. The Eastons should be on in a couple of days, so I can give you a better idea of the difference then. I'll have a little used Race Face Next SL bar if your interested...

mtbr member
    how aggressively are you guys riding? im still a little hesitant on carbon bars

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by socalenduro
    Same - well, I personally dislike/mistrust carbon. Finding good alu bars aint that difficult - if you want weight saving at the same time, there are still some great options.
    Personally, Im loving my Controltech Scandium bars - the feel (for me) is just perfect, the weight is very low, and they have stood up to alot of abuse.

mtbr member
    Easton Monkeylite DH, best bar ever

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd go with Easton.

mtbr member
    Easton, most definitely. I've used a couple of their bars now, aluminium back in the days and now carbon for the past 5 years, absolutely trouble free so far.
    Right now I'm running the 31.8 Monkey XC bar, 25.4" wide, for about 3 years and it has been great.

mtbr member
    Just installed a set of Race Face Next XC bars a few days ago. I wanted to go Easton but it looks like there's a backorder issue.

I rode with them last night and was really impressed! I was using a set of ProTaper carbon bars but the Next's absorb so much shock that it was like riding a different bike. The ProTapers were really harsh and they had too much sweep for my liking. The Next's are more of a straight bar so I was able to rotate them a bit further to lower my weight while climbing. I also liked the fact they use a titanium sleeve in the clamping area to help with stress. I know the Eastons are good but I can't see how they'd be so much better than the Nexts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalenduro
    I rode my last seasons Bontrager Race Lite carbon bar hard enough. Took some spills, nailed some tree branches, (it was on a Fuel EX8) it held up flawlessly. I enjoyed it alot.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The other bar I'd look at is the Syncros Bulk Carbon. 700mm wide, 180gm with (in my opinion) a better shape than the Easton. I've been running one of these on my Reign for a year or so now and it has been great.

I also have a RF Next SL on a carbon NRS- they are a nice, light bar for that sort of XC bike but a bit too narrow for AM use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden
    Leaning towards Easton mokelite xc 31.8 hi-rise, but also looking at the Race Face Next SL 31.8, 1.5 rise, which should be stronger? or should I just change my EA70 mid-rise to the High Rise? I read a test somewhere, about a year ago, and Race Face was the winner vs easton, truvativ, ritchey, FSA. Has this changed?
    I went from the Easton Monkeylite XC 31.8 low to a RF Next 31.8 high on my 575 using a zero degree 100mm Thomson stem. It felt better for two reasons: the Next is higher (but I see you also wants the high rise) and gave just the enough fit with the zero degree Thomson stem and also because its a bit less wide at 660mm when compared with the 685mm on the Mokeylite.

But if you're concerned about strenght, haven't felt any difference between the two, I trust both brands, although I'd prefer having an Easton over RF, but for the same width, I'd have to get the 25.4 and change my stem. But I don't regret going RF. They are just as good. And if looks count for you, the Next is just beautiful.

Another thing that worths mentioning about the FR Next is that you don't need to torque the bolts too much to get all your shifting and braking stuff holding up well. Only having some pressure on the bolts is enough to hold the bar on the stem, shifters and brake levers (and lockon grips if you use them). The Easton is very slippy, though, and needs a lot of torque to get all that attached to the bar, what may cause some estrangulation of the material on those areas.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Thanks for the replies guys, main 2 reasons I'm leaning towards the Easton is sweep and price, currently you can get a 07-08 for around $80. I'll take a look in to the Syncros, though I have rarely seen them online, any hints?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I have the Easton MonkeyLite High Rise on my Enduro and the RaceFace Next on my El Ciclon. I really can't tell the difference between the two. If I had pick one or the other I'd go with the RaceFace Next. They might feel a little stiffer and I like the finish.