Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    jbf
    mtbr member

Carbon Handlebars ?

Building up my old 6" trail bike after riding a hardtail all summer. I have most of my parts together but need new bars. I have never run carbon parts on my bikes, but am tempted to try the Protaper AM carbon bars to save a little weight. Would you run a carbon bar on your all mountain bike? I tend to crash alot and live in the northeast, so when I go down there is usually an impact involved (trees, rocks, stone walls, logs). Are modern carbon bars up to the task? I am not looking for throw away parts.

This question has probably been asked before, but I did not find much discussion using the search function so links would be appreciated too.

mtbr member
    I run that bar on my Blur LTc - 1/2" rise. Wide, feels good, no flex... I've not crashed on mine so can't tell you about durability.
    That said, carbon bits == torque wrench & carbon paste.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm running enve DH bars. They received their first scratch after 3 months or so. I sent a pic to enve they said it's nothing to worry about. Am I 100% confident in the structural integrity of my bars? Not 100%, but I'm trusting these bars can take a few hits.

All carbon is not equal. I don't know anything about protaper. Easton is offering a life time warranty on their havoc bars I think? Enve says their DH bars may reach their expected life span in 2 years? WTF Enve? I only bought mine because I got a smoking deal, I wouldn't recommend buying over priced bars that may have a short life depending on frequency of use. Carbon is supposed to have a longer fatigue life than metals too?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I run carbon frame, post, bars on my Enduro. Have had a few falls out west in rocks and there's not a single scratch on those parts. In today's world carbon is no longer a weak point. They are stronger and often lighter than AL. I would not hesitate one bit on carbon (as obvious by the carbon DH bikes flooding the market along with DH carbon bars and such).

Pricepoint has the Answer Carbon AM bars for $90 right now, best deal out there. The Easton Haven Carbon's are lighter by about ~40gr (9mm narrower at 711 vs 720), but they also run ~$130. The Specialized Enduro Carbon bars are 720mm and 205gr and run retail $130. There are numerous 660-680mm carbon bars out there if that width fits your needs. I have some FSA K-Force carbon bars on my Enduro, they are 660mm I belive and were only around 160gr and feel very stiff.

Jump on those Answers and never look back
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    Are modern carbon bars up to the task? I am not looking for throw away parts..
    Yes and pay the extra for some Eastons, lifetime warranty and they stand behind it.

Look at the warranty attached to carbon bars to judge what the company thinks of their product, there's some supposedly DH carbon bars floating around that come with warnings about jumping and 12 month warranties on the box... right...

Also invest in carbon grip paste.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just bought a set of riser 31.8 monkeylite's for my enduro, hope they are good
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If a company tells you that you need to replace a set of bars in 2 years
    I would go somewhere else. Either they have junk bars or they just want
    to get in your wallet. I've been using Easton bars for years and have not
    had a single problem with them.

Best, John

Bunny Hoppin Gators
    i have a set of raceface high rise handle bars ive gone down on a few times and even went over the handlebars and there holding up find... i paid somewhere around 150 for them but i wouldint risk cheap carbon

i think its been said here before but there are different types of CF and different weaves, if you buy a good set you should be fine carbon fiber is suppose to be stronger than aluminum

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Building up my old 6" trail bike after riding a hardtail all summer. I have most of my parts together but need new bars. I have never run carbon parts on my bikes, but am tempted to try the Protaper AM carbon bars to save a little weight. Would you run a carbon bar on your all mountain bike? I tend to crash alot and live in the northeast, so when I go down there is usually an impact involved (trees, rocks, stone walls, logs). Are modern carbon bars up to the task? I am not looking for throw away parts.

This question has probably been asked before, but I did not find much discussion using the search function so links would be appreciated too.
    I just got an Answer Protaper Carbon 720mm bar. Love it. I'm not afraid of carbon fiber from a reputable company.

This gets argued about a lot.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bunny Hoppin Gators

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been running a Easton Haven Carbon on my Nomad for the last year and it is fine on drops act. I run a Havoc carbon on my V10. Both bars have landed on rocks ect and are fine. if you gouge carbon bar enough that you should replace it you would need a new Alum bar.

I was riding at Bromont Que and Mont St Anne and the bars met the rocks a few times at high speed and are fine,

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    those answer bars really do have a special bend to them. i feel so much more confident, comfortable, and aggressive with them compared to other bars ive tried. wish i could comment on the durability of the carbon

mtbr member
    hi guys, what do you think of these ? any good ? right now i am using syntace vector which are great but wanna get true DH bars for better control. i could get these for fairly good price

chainreactioncycles price

Not one shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Helmetless Crasher
    Running Easton cf bar. Robust.

The weakest aspect of a cf bar is its crush strength (ie. bar end clamps can damage the bar if proper plugs are not used.

FWIW, I have snapped alu bars (landing from a jump on my old Marin XC bike) but not carbon.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    CAR BON all the way. One of the best investments you can make and you will feel a difference.
    Ran an old Easton Monkeylite and still holding strong, replaced it with a new Easton Havoc trimmed to 730 for my DB 6x6 and I too got my Answer 720am for 90 bucks too from PP. That went on my Stumpy EVO. The Answer is way blingy compared to the Easton. Trying to convince my ridin buddies about carbon bars still...
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Ran Easton Monkeylite's on my old bike. They were great right up to the point where I landed a jump, the bars twisted down in the stem with the brakes pointing straight up, and I hit a tree. Broken knee cap, cracked sternum, and a broken rib... not to mention the huge gouge taken out of bar when it spun around.

Probably a 99% chance that won't happen to you, but just be aware. With that said, I am getting the aluminum EA70 risers for my new bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Let me add that my terrain is pretty much xc here in MO with the occasional AM sort of riding here and there. So it's fair to say I'm not really pushing carbon to its limits...
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Easton Monkeylite DH bars for years now-drop after drop, jump after jump......nuff said. May get the new Haven Carbon's for my SX

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I really like my havens. I snapped them in a spectacular race crash that also snapped the seat off its rails and gave me a bad concussion. Probably would have severely bent/broken another bar as well. Easton sent a new one in less than a week. Good folks there!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    Ran Easton Monkeylite's on my old bike. They were great right up to the point where I landed a jump, the bars twisted down in the stem with the brakes pointing straight up, and I hit a tree. Broken knee cap, cracked sternum, and a broken rib... not to mention the huge gouge taken out of bar when it spun around.

Probably a 99% chance that won't happen to you, but just be aware. With that said, I am getting the aluminum EA70 risers for my new bike.
    Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear it.

I'm not sure that what happened was due to it being CF. I don't think CF is any more likely to twist in the stem than Al.

mtbr member
    I was watching a roadie sprint race in Reno 5 years ago. A guy from Washington snapped his carbon bars at the stem and went down really really hard at around 40 mph. Happened right in front of me. Don't know what brand, or anything about his stem. Just sayin.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36 View Post
    Easton Monkeylite DH bars for years now-drop after drop, jump after jump......nuff said. May get the new Haven Carbon's for my SX
    A few years ago, I had an Easton Monkeylight DH bar on my wife's bike. It fell of the back of my car going around 60 mph. Needless to say, the bike was a mess (bent rims, saddle rails turned in to a pretzel). The bars got hit hard enough to twist a fairly stout stem, but the bar did not crack or break. The ends were kind of buggered up. Anyway, that really hit it home to me how strong a CF bar can be. Of course, I did toss the bar after that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    I was watching a roadie sprint race in Reno 5 years ago. A guy from Washington snapped his carbon bars at the stem and went down really really hard at around 40 mph. Happened right in front of me. Don't know what brand, or anything about his stem. Just sayin.
    Yeah...
    And maybe you should think about how a 5 year old PC stacks up against an equivalently equipped one today...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Ride and Smile

There are other reasons to run carbon besides saving weight. Strength, stiffness, dampening are good reasons to chose carbon. I've got carbon on my dh bike, the slopestyle bike and the pump track bike. Carbon is nice.

mtbr member
    Running Easton Havec 750mm bars on mu Tracer....So far perfect bars!
    They're super strong! They don't flex, super comfy bend, and the width has lot of room to be cut.

I'm running it at full lenght, and although they sometimes feel a tad to wide, specially uphilling, I wouldn't cut them.
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast