Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Grams Light Bikes
    Never had any issues with carbon bars. The Answer ProTaper Carbon bars are pretty darn tough, and the Syntace Vector carbon bars take it to the limit for strength (they get a VR-3 DH rating).

mtbr member
    When I was building my most recent bike I asked one of the sales reps from a handlebar manufacturer if I should go carbon or aluminum. He asked if I was going to crash, I answered yes of course. Then he asked if when I crashed would I replace the bar after every crash. If I wan't going to do that then he told me to get aluminum.

I went aluminum. Even then, I retire aluminum bars to towny or beater bike duty after 4-5 seasons regardless of being free from dents, dings or scratches. I've seen to many failed bars of all materials to risk it.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    I had some Easton Havens 711mm. Before they snapped I thought they were great. That said I'm buying Havoc 35mm bars when they come back in stock, plus a torque wrench. I will photograph and document the installation incase they break also.

--- deanopatoni ---
    Did you get hurt when they snapped? Did they snap near the stem or where? I just got mine in the mail today. Definitely using a torque wrench. Probably gonna get Oury slide on grips instead of the clamp on grips I have on my alloy bars right now. Are you supposed to use plugs on the bar ends?

Grams Light Bikes
    Here is an interesting tidbit from one of my reviews...

Syntace and their Testing
    Syntace is located in Tacherting, Germany, just north of Salsberg near the Austrian border, and has been around a long time. They manufacture excellent products, including handlebars, stems and tools, in the usual highly engineered German fashion. They literally abuse their products to death, doing intensive corrosion, impact and hardness testing, along with a lot of detailed hand measurements to keep everything to their exacting standards. They test their handlebars with the VR-3, which is a spiffy computerized tester, that can simulate pushing and pulling loads, alternate those loads on either side of the bars, simulate light to hard impacts, and do those simulations in an iterative process over long periods of time. What that means is they can reproduce, in a short period of time, all the punishment that we would replicate over many years of use. Very real world testing!

Not only do you get an excellent and durable set of handlebars from this testing, and their QA/QC, but you get a 10 year warranty (albeit, bars installed and used according to the assembly instructions). I like how they state that the VR-3 performs a cyclical loop of torture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Handlebars ?-syn_vr3.jpg  

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Did you get hurt when they snapped? Did they snap near the stem or where? I just got mine in the mail today. Definitely using a torque wrench. Probably gonna get Oury slide on grips instead of the clamp on grips I have on my alloy bars right now. Are you supposed to use plugs on the bar ends?
    I was lucky and only got a circular scratch on my chest (just below the nipple!). It snapped where the shifter/ dropper post remote was mounted on the
    I think clamp on grips are okay as you don't need to tighten them up too much to get them to stay put. Plugs are an absolute must, unless they are already incorporated in the end of the grips. Plugs may need to be trimmed a bit to fit in the end of carbon bars as the carbon wall is a lot thicker than on an aluminium bar.

(please excuse the nipple shot)

--- deanopatoni ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Handlebars ?-img_2460.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by deanopatoni; 01-03-2013 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I was lucky and only got a circular scratch on my chest (just below the nipple!). It snapped where the shifter/ dropper post remote was mounted on the
    I think clamp on grips are okay as you don't need to tighten them up too much to get them to stay put. Plugs are an absolute must, unless they are already incorporated in the end of the grips. Plugs may need to be trimmed a bit to fit in the end of carbon bars as the carbon wall is a lot thicker than on an aluminium bar.

(please excuse the nipple shot)

--- deanopatoni ---
    Were these under warranty? Did you have anything torqued too tight? And how old were they? Just curious how often this happens to people with carbon bars. Most people seem very happy with them and have no problems.

Kiwi that Flew
    Were these under warranty? Did you have anything torqued too tight? And how old were they? Just curious how often this happens to people with carbon bars. Most people seem very happy with them and have no problems.
    Im sure you'll be fine

I'm getting some 35mm Havoc's next time, as they got to be strong if they are rated for DH right?

Cheers

mtbr member
    I just got my Havens last week. Have yet to put them on my bars. Getting Oury slide on grips instead of their clamp just to be safe (they are lighter too). Waiting for my new stem too. It sounds like I need to get some plugs too. Where do you get those at? Have never seen them before.

Kiwi that Flew
    I just got my Havens last week. Have yet to put them on my bars. Getting Oury slide on grips instead of their clamp just to be safe (they are lighter too). Waiting for my new stem too. It sounds like I need to get some plugs too. Where do you get those at? Have never seen them before.
    All sorts of plugs here ==> Bar End Plugs

mtbr member
    Thanks!

b a n n e d
    Easton Carbon has a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Easton Carbon has a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
    Don't believe this. In my case they (Easton) said the brakes levers (that had been installed for 12 months) had be over torqued. I have been using carbon bars since 2006 and have two others on bikes at the moment with no issues. This is all information that I provided to Easton.

If you want a warranty - Easton is not for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I broke an Easton monkey lite at the left shift lever clamp over 10 years ago, it didn't happen during a crash, but as I was accelerating and pulling back on the bar. I called Easton shipped em the bar and they shipped me a replacement. That replacement is still in use today, though not on my main ride anymore.

Perhaps the UK distributor just sucks. Easton probably didn't respond likely because there is an agreement with the UK distributor that the distributor is to handle all warranty claims for the UK.

mtbr member
    So guys, quick question. I got some Easton Haven bars. Gnna order some Oury slide on grips (Mountain Grips - Oury Grip USA ) . Do I need to order end plugs to go under the grips inside of the bar?
    If so, which ones would fit under under my Ourgy grips? I have been big end plugs that flare out, and that would make installing the grips a PITA. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    What does easton say (in writing?) is the life span of their bars?

Reason I ask is I was having a conversation with a rep from a high quality aluminium bar manufacturer, and was surprised that while the bars have a "lifetime" warranty they also stipulate in VERY fine print that the bars should be replaced annually.

b a n n e d
    So guys, quick question. I got some Easton Haven bars. Gnna order some Oury slide on grips (Mountain Grips - Oury Grip USA ) . Do I need to order end plugs to go under the grips inside of the bar?
    If so, which ones would fit under under my Ourgy grips? I have been big end plugs that flare out, and that would make installing the grips a PITA. Any ideas?
    Im running Easton Havoc's with ODI Rouge's . . . no end plugs inside the bar, but I do have endcapes to keep dirt etc. out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    NINER Flat top Carbon Bars. You will be happy. PERIOD

Quality they will stand behind

mtbr member
    Dunno where I saw that you should have end caps in there, but I will double check my manual.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The only time I've heard of running something inside the end
    of the handlebars is to support a set of bar ends. Plugs and
    caps are to keep dirt and crap out.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    The only time I've heard of running something inside the end
    of the handlebars is to support a set of bar ends. Plugs and
    caps are to keep dirt and crap out.
    Same here.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    Perhaps the UK distributor just sucks. Easton probably didn't respond likely because there is an agreement with the UK distributor that the distributor is to handle all warranty claims for the UK.
    I think your comment is spot on the money there AlienRFX. It has to be said that MerlinCycles, being the retailer that I got the bar from has been super helpful and doing all they could to come to an arrangement (such as a half price replacement bar). Top class.

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Well I will install my bars next week when my new stem and carbon paste arrive. I will be sure to use a torque wrench as well. I will update if I end up breaking all my teeth out!

b a n n e d
    Well I will install my bars next week when my new stem and carbon paste arrive. I will be sure to use a torque wrench as well. I will update if I end up breaking all my teeth out!
    For my bars, I used a Thomson stem torqued to spec, but shifters and brake levers are 0.5nm BELOW spec. This ensures a) that I'm well within tolerance for the bar and b) if I crash, they're more likely to spin than break.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    007 has it right.

Grams Light Bikes
    Im sure you'll be fine

I'm getting some 35mm Havoc's next time, as they got to be strong if they are rated for DH right?

Cheers
    The only bars I have ever broken were aluminum. I have taken some nasty diggers on a lot of carbon bars and none of them has ever failed, which doesn't mean it can't happen (same with AL bars). I rarely ever use bar plugs, and usually leave my lock-on grips out by the ends to protect them from crashes. Most carbon bars have extra thickness under the grips, shifters and brake area, and then again by the stem.

Syntace Vector carbon bars are 'VR-3 approved according to VR-3 downhill standard DH 2002.4, the world‘s toughest test standard for handlebars and stems.'

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast