Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carbon cranks

Radical Rookie

Carbon cranks

Hi guys,

A friend told me that my interest in carbon crank for an AM setup is not very sound.

Any horror stories regarding carbon cranks to share? Or are they good to go through regular "technical trails" with small jumps (not more than 5 ft)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie nick View Post
    Hi guys,

A friend told me that my interest in carbon crank for an AM setup is not very sound.

Any horror stories regarding carbon cranks to share? Or are they good to go through regular "technical trails" with small jumps (not more than 5 ft)?

Thanks!
    I run a set of SRAM carbon cranks on my Enduro EVO and their terrific. I have no reservations regarding strength or durability. This particular bike sees most of its time on really rocky, techy trails with plenty of drops from 3 to 6 feet. Never had an issue.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie nick View Post
    Hi guys,

Don't listen to your friend. Carbon cranks are fine. I ran them for years on my Jekyll without issue.

LightJunction.com
    Carbon cranks are plenty strong for all-mountain riding. My only reservation with them is running them on trails I'm unfamiliar with, or while doing particularly technical rocky sections that I don't have dialed yet. I've seen plenty of tests where folks whack carbon with hammers and nothing happens, but I can't shake the thought of gouging my carbon on a rock from the back of my mind.

One thing I would recommend if you're going with carbon cranks are those crankarm boots that protect the tips of your cranks when they strike the ground.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I too have the SRAM Carbon S-2200 crankset on my Enduro EVO, and it has taken some hard rock hits over the past year and half with no issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    Carbon cranks are plenty strong for all-mountain riding. My only reservation with them is running them on trails I'm unfamiliar with, or while doing particularly technical rocky sections that I don't have dialed yet. I've seen plenty of tests where folks whack carbon with hammers and nothing happens, but I can't shake the thought of gouging my carbon on a rock from the back of my mind.

One thing I would recommend if you're going with carbon cranks are those crankarm boots that protect the tips of your cranks when they strike the ground.
    I think the best thing to do is just not think about it. Whenever I fill my mind with thoughts when I ride I wind up riding like crap (and often times crashing). Just flow and don't think about it. "Harness the good, block the bad."

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    If you ride rocky terrain you will smack and scar your crank arms eventually.

I've been running RaceFace SixC cranks for close to two years and they're pretty much set and forget.
    The crank arm 'boots' do help but be prepared to curse when you do smack them.

Other than that, no other issues.

mtbr member
    I've been running a few different sets of carbon cranks for quite a few years and yeah the ends of the arms are a bit beat up from hitting rocks but not too bad, and no integrity issues.

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike14 View Post
    I think the best thing to do is just not think about it. Whenever I fill my mind with thoughts when I ride I wind up riding like crap (and often times crashing). Just flow and don't think about it. "Harness the good, block the bad."
    yeah yeah....

For a second there, I thought you were going to start quoting Karate Kid or Star Wars.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Thread Terrorist
    I just put on a set of carbon SRAM cranks on my nomad. They're flexy as hell. I know I'm going to break them, I just know it. But I haven't yet, and they're proving me wrong thus far.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

usually cranky
    if most dh riders on sram run xo i dont think they will give you any issues on a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have carbon Sram cranks. Just as stiff as my alloy ones.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

but i want to ride now
    As a rule, friends are the exact people you should never listen to. Your friend had A certain experience with A certain product at A certain time. You are not your friend, ride carbon cranks and don't think about it.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Bikewagon had some of these in red on clearance for $209 (IIRC, it was shipped price)

I matched these to a King BB for $109 and a pair of RaceFace crank boots...OH so nice!

The Noir 3.3s require very specific torque specs. So, my only suggestion to you is to be careful w/ installation of carbon cranks. Other than that, plenty stiff
    Last edited by Pau11y; 03-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    if most dh riders on sram run xo i dont think they will give you any issues on a trail bike.

Really? I didn't know they had one but I guess you mean the Sram DH team? And they are running XC cranks? That is surprising considering all the beefed up cranks out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Really? I didn't know they had one but I guess you mean the Sram DH team? And they are running XC cranks? That is surprising considering all the beefed up cranks out there.
    for a 1x setup they are probably running THESE CRANKS
    Juice

mtbr member
    my xo cranks are great, strong and have that stiff carbon feeling.

Only beef I have with them is my shoe wears through the resin finish and I had to buy bash caps for the end of the arms because they were hitting rocks.
    Pivot mach 6!

Radical Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    I just put on a set of carbon SRAM cranks on my nomad. They're flexy as hell. I know I'm going to break them, I just know it. But I haven't yet, and they're proving me wrong thus far.

think they are suppose to be stiff?

Radical Rookie
    Yes I am also on S2200

These are custom crank arms made specially for Specks. Thanks guys for clearing my doubts!

Radical Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    Most assuring!

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    I also have the SRAM carbon cranks that came on the enduro. Ive been prepared to replace them, however despite how many times ive hit them, they still are completely fine.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Check out this long term review of sixc cranks. Race Face SIXC crankset review - Pinkbike.com

We are still in the early days of carbon for AM through DH, but it's proving to hold up just fine. I was worried about durability a few years ago but now I'm drinking the kool aid. Carbon frame and bars and nothing has exploded yet. Carbon cranks will be my next plastic purchase.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Pau11y, how did you do king BB with those noir's? I thought they had a tapered axle?

derp
    Dunno about the RaceFace Sixc but i'm pretty sure SRAM's X0 are just carbon wrapped with an internal alloy "spine", so not really 100% carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    Pau11y, how did you do king BB with those noir's? I thought they had a tapered axle?
    King makes that option: Bottom Bracket | Chris King Precision Components
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast