aka bOb

Carbon Bars for Park/jump Lines?

I've been riding carbon bars forever but a guy had one snap on a jump he overshot and got really messed up. I know there are a lot of variables and his set was a lightweight set but..... It's got me thinking is it really worth the chance? I mean I know aluminum bars can snap as well but not sure of the frequency? I guess the question is would it be a better idea to run aluminum bars on jump lines? I mean it's only saves about 100g and I'm not a weight weenie.
    Thanks..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't think material is as much of an issue as what the bars were designed for.
    I do believe there are some carbon bars designed for DH. I would think those may be more appropriate. Even if you use aluminum, you wouldn't want to get ultralight aluminum XC bars and use those for big jumps.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think that's it. I'd run dh oriented bars regardless of material and I'd change them seasonally if riding hard and often. Carbon and Al tend to weaken over time and bars have a real stress point at the clamp. I've seen old, quality cf and Al bars break in normal use. Their lifespan isn't infinite. That said if strength was my top priority I'd probably run renthal Al fatbars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Today’s carbon bars are manufactured to withstand forces well beyond they’re intended use. I wouldn’t worry about a failure unless you have not followed the manufacturers torque specifications. That said I replace my bars every few years and after any big crash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    I don't think material is as much of an issue as what the bars were designed for.
    The issue I see using any CF bar for DJ/park is that it's almost given that you're going to crash on a more or less regular basis. CF can be damaged in ways that aren't that obvious during these excursions, leading to catastrophic failure without warning. I doubt the top DH guys using CF anything use that same part for very long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    That said if strength was my top priority I'd probably run renthal Al fatbars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I second this. If Renthal aluminum Fatbars are strong enough for motocross, they're going to be fine for 99.9% of DJ/park riders

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have a thick Answer Protaper carbon DH bar. I have no worries. I think it makes more sense than an aluminum AM bar of the same weight, as the carbon one is far stronger. You can buy real lightweight carbon stuff too, like the 180-ish gram one on my fatbike that's the same width, but I wouldn't subject that to the same abuse. I recently just ordered a SixC for that bike because I'll be hanging a sleeping-bag rack off a salsa-mount that will be clamped to the bar. Makes sense to beef it up a little IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    In the past I would have advised against it because of what Fairbanks alluded to but todays DH carbon bars can take the abuse, including rock strikes, far better than even a few years ago due to the formulation changes in the composite design. I sell to that industry including aerospace so... I know the raw materials that they are using. I also know that China is bidding that up right now for their own interests and you had better buy soon because carbon bits are about to double in price...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think as long as you stick to some DH intended stuff from well-known manufacturer, it should be OK - Renthal carbon bars are used by probably half of the WC cup guys. I would avoid no-name chinese bars, bar snap is too much risk for price difference...

mtbr member
    whatever makes you feel comfortable - if you think a carbon bar is always about to break, don't ride one.

In reality though, carbon is stronger than aluminum. If your friend was DJing on a weight weenie al bar, the same thing would have happened.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Good video here on the topic.

https://youtu.be/0stL5Q9b_oo