b a n n e d

Carbon Bars: Easton vs. Answer?

Anyone got any comparisons on these? I've got a set of Easton Havoc's and Haven's on hold at the LBS, but just read some reviews of the Answer 720 AM's and they seem really positive.

Price point is about the same, and the geo on them is pretty similar . . .

mtbr member
    Do the answer bars come with a lifetime warranty?

If not, Easton all the way. Got a set of both current Easton bars, they're really nice quality, the cosmetic finish is nice and even but more importantly the lay up of the bars inside is perfectly round on both bars. No folds, lumps or bubbles in the carbon where most people don't look.

mtbr member
    I just picked up 711mm Haven with a 70mm Thomson stem. The bars look and feel real nice. So light weight. I am sure the Answer are just as nice. Will be installing them this weekend. Cant wait.

b a n n e d
    Thanks, I think I'll stick with the Easton's . . . didn't know they had a lifetime warranty.

T.W.O.
    Yeah, Easton all the way, light, strong, and very comfortable hand position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Thanks, I think I'll stick with the Easton's . . . didn't know they had a lifetime warranty.
    Yup, for an alloy bar you get 5 years, for a carbon bar (including the Havocs) you get lifetime.

Jai
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good thing about the Answer is that you have three different heights to choose.
    I went with the Protaper but assumed I couldn't go wrong with either.

b a n n e d
    I still can't decide between the Havoc's and the Haven's . . . will probably end up with the Havoc's and trim em' down to fit . . . however, I am fairly certain that I don't want to go much wider than 710, which is the Haven's (plus the Haven's have better graphics )

mtbr member
    May 2011
    my 2011 havoc aluminum came in today and they rock! i dont trust carbon... i heard if u get a blemish or scratch it might crack. ive seen tons of photos here where carbon parts snapped.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    my 2011 havoc aluminum came in today and they rock! i dont trust carbon... i heard if u get a blemish or scratch it might crack. ive seen tons of photos here where carbon parts snapped.
    I did a lot of searching and I see two common themes among the "broken carbon bars" posts/threads.

1. They are pretty old . . . some more than 5 years. I KNOW that CF has come a long way since then.

2. Many, if not all of the broken bars threads show a break at either the shifter, brake, or stem clamp. Makes me wonder if they were not properly installed (e.g., filed/sanded burrs and sharp edges, over-tightened, etc.).

I have never ridden with carbon anything, but the fact that Easton has been in the Biz for a long time, I trust they know what they are doing. I'll give em' a whirl . . .

usually cranky
    unless you scratch the weave though the clear coat i wouldnt worry. and in that case it would be a gash, an aluminum bar would probably be done at that point too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im running a 65mm Havoc stem and Carbon Havoc bars (cut to 720mm) on my Slayer. Love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    get the EC70 or 90.. they are always on sale online somewhere for 40 bucks..

Austin, Texas
    I've had the Aluminum 720 ProTaper and I currently use the Carbon 720 ProTaper HB. The back sweep and up sweep are perfect for my Mojo HD.
    Austin, Texas

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by polecats03 View Post
    "I've seen tons of photos here where aluminum parts snapped"

Easily swappable.

mtbr member
    Been running Easton Carbon bars since 2004 with no issues, my current bar Easton carbon DH is almost 4 years old and still going strong. Hell my whole bike is now carbon and I have no worries on it. Back in the day when I worked in shop and the industry was moving over to aluminum I remember people having the same fears and the same horror stories about it. None of these companies would be switch to carbon if they didn't think it was strong enough for the general public.

mtbr member
    Answer bar with the Answer Rove DJ stem in 50mm,super sick setup!

mtbr member
    Although,im a bigger fan of Alum....