Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Carbon bars for AM?

I'm on the verge of getting a new Motolite and I can get a deal on some carbon handlbars. Do you think they're strong/reliable enough for trails like Downieville ? I'm not going to be doing huge drops, but I still worry a bit. Any experience with these kind of bars? I'm looking at FSA K-force Carbon, Answer Protaper Carbon, or Raceface Next Xc Carbon bars.

thanks
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

VooDoo user.
    I'm running the FSA carbon k- forcce DH. 31.? in the middle and then they taper. Have not broke em yet. Carbon can be done if its pupose built.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    I'm on the verge of getting a new Motolite and I can get a deal on some carbon handlbars. Do you think they're strong/reliable enough for trails like Downieville ? I'm not going to be doing huge drops, but I still worry a bit. Any experience with these kind of bars? I'm looking at FSA K-force Carbon, Answer Protaper Carbon, or Raceface Next Xc Carbon bars.

thanks
    I would have no reservations about using carbon for Downieville. Downieville is not exactly FR. Just a looooong downhill run.

I already rode that
    Been using my Easton monkey lite for a couple years now and have no worries about it. Do those other companies back up their carbon bars the way Easton does? If they do then go ahead and get it and ride! Just watch the stem you use as you dont want the face plate to have sharp edges that would cause failure. Plus 4 bolt faceplates as well need to be tightened evenly but that should be the same thing with any bar regardless.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member

thanks
    I don't know anything about Downieville, but I have confidence with these bombing rocky East coast downhills. Hella stiff!

FSA Carbon K Force DH, 40 mm rise
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I think you have to take into account your weight, riding style and willingness to accept risk. For example, I'm 190 lbs, like to push myself a little on downhills and fall off fairly regularly as a result! I'm not willing to take a risk to save 100 grams. Therefore I use strong aluminium bars and replace them every 2 years.

On the other hand my wife weighs 100 lbs, rides well within her limits and rarely falls off as a result. She uses carbon bars with no problems at all. For her the weight saving comes with no real risk.

So there is no right or wrong answer here. If you decide on carbon, the Raceface Next XC is a very nice bar - that's what my wife uses.

not so super...
    The FSA K-force DH carbon are plenty of bar for a 200+ pound rider. I actually prefer them to my Easton EA-70 alu bars. If you run a std size stem the 25.4 dia versions can be had for cheap right now.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144...-Riser-Bar.htm

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's not the strength of carbon bars that puts me off. They are generally stiffer than equivalent ally bars. It's the failure mode that I don't like.

mtbr member
    I have no concerns with carbon bars

I am 200lbs and ride fairly agressively and have been on carbon bars for years

I have only seen 1 carbon bar failure in 6 plus years of running a shop where 90% of the bikes have carbon bars and that was the guys fault for completely overtightening the stem to the point it crushed the bar

having said that.. if you are 200lbs and want to do some drops, don't go looking for the absolute lightest bar you can find..

I run an oversized answer...

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

thanks
    Why run carbon? The aluminum equivilents are as light or lighter without the notch sensativity .

Just roll it......

Aggressive or not.....

Ok, so here's my deal with carbon bars. I think Carbon bars have come a LONG way and can easily handle being ridden by a big or aggressive rider (or a big aggressive rider for that matter).

My concern is mainly centered (right or wrong) around how they hold up post-crash - something that I seem to do quite often on my bike when trying stupid stuff. If I have to dump my bike, I don't want to have to worry about how my bars are going to hold up on me. Now, I might be worrying unnecessarily, but the fact that my handlebars are my primary interface to my bike leads me to think that saving 50 grams for a bar that might not give an indication of failure isn't worth the peace of mind. If you don't crash often and don't mind inspecting your bars when you do, this is probably a moot point.

Aluminum obviously can fail too, but it usually gives you an indication (a dent or a bend) that it's about to go vs. simply sheering off - something that happend to a buddy when he clipped his bar on a tree with an older pair of monkey lites. Now, his bars were old and had 2 previous owners (me being one of them) so this is probably an unfair comparison, but he really didn't have any idea they were about to go.

Cheers,
    EBX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    My concern is mainly centered (right or wrong) around how they hold up post-crash -

Aluminum obviously can fail too, but it usually gives you an indication (a dent or a bend) that it's about to go vs. simply sheering off
    Cheers,
    EBX
    FWIW I had a buddy snap an Easton aluminum bar off of a drop, no warning signs beforehand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Carbon...

Those are my thoughts as well. Carbon can just "let go" versus aluminum that will give some warning signs. For the sake of the weight savings i'll stick to Aluminum. If those things ever snap on you.....you could be in for a world o' hurt. J

mtbr member
    faced with this same decision a few days ago, i opted for an Easton EA70 over the MonkeyLite DH simply because i wasn't too sure how carbon would hold up in a crash. plus, it was a hell of a lot cheaper.

Custom User Title
    I'm 200 lbs and ride aggressivly. I'm on the same Easton Monkey (sl I think) that I had on the last bike that I broke the frame of. I also have a tendency to clip trees with my bars. I do up to 6' drops and jumps but I, (shouldn't say this), don't wreck alot. I haven't even thought of replacement yet.But, I did get rid of my carbon post. I was curious so I beat the sh1t out of it and it took a beating to break.

But, if it is time for it to go it's gonna go.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

I already rode that
    A 6' drop with a SL monkey light? I wouldnt have done repeated drops like that with that bar. The reg one or the DH version wouldve been a better choice for dropping that much IMO.

As for what others worried about when "dropping" their bike and causing damage, Ive dropped my quite a few times and havent had any problems with my carbon bar.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

banned
    Apr 2006
    Answer Pro Taper OS carbon bars. They seem OK so far.

"Why I oughta..."
    Heck, I figured this is an answered question. Easton DH Carbon and Easton Monkey Lite 1.5, never any issues, never any questions. Never mind...

DUCKS WIN!
    "Welcome to All Things Scottish, if it's not Scottish, it's craaaapp!! Can I help ye?" - Stuart Rankin

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Putting weights in perspective:-

Monkeylite SL = 135g
    Monkeylite XC = 150g
    Monkeylite DH = 225g
    EA70 Monkeybar = 250g

I certainly wouldn't consider the SL as a sensible option for "AM" use and the XC at 15g heavier is hardly likely to be much more durable.
    The DH could be considered a true "AM" bar, but then it only saves 25g over an EA70. So what's the point in that?
    So based on the above common sense I use an EA70 and sleep soundly

mtbr member
    I am 225lbs or so without gear on and have been running Monkeylites for 3 years now without a problem. Everyone I ride with runs them and we are anything but smooth with our bikes. I have been through 2 broken frames a number of blown fork seals from landings gone bad and countless crashes with trees and the ground all without a single issue with the bars. I ride about 4-5 days a week and do three to four foot drops to flat at least twice every ride.

For the record I don't ride carbon bars to save weight I love the feel of them and how they take out some of the vibration from the trail but yet still feel stiffer then aluminum bars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My Carbon bar take alot of abuse, until Ient over the bar yesterday and slam it on a rock and nick it in two places. I have to replace it and buy a new aluminum one.

If it were aluminum, I wouldnt have replace it in the first place. Although I've been using carbon for two years with no problems and I have spills once in a while but with only minor surface scratches.

btw I only have mine for a month and now I have to buy a new one

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    Putting weights in perspective:-

Monkeylite SL = 135g
    Monkeylite XC = 150g
    Monkeylite DH = 225g
    EA70 Monkeybar = 250g

I certainly wouldn't consider the SL as a sensible option for "AM" use and the XC at 15g heavier is hardly likely to be much more durable.
    The DH could be considered a true "AM" bar, but then it only saves 25g over an EA70. So what's the point in that?
    So based on the above common sense I use an EA70 and sleep soundly

I recently picked up some Azonic CF-1 DH carbon bars, and I realy love em. I can tell the dif in damping and stffness... and thier sooo pretty!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    and thier sooo pretty!
    Now we're onto the real reason people choose carbon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I am 225lbs or so without gear on and have been running Monkeylites for 3 years now without a problem. Everyone I ride with runs them and we are anything but smooth with our bikes. I have been through 2 broken frames a number of blown fork seals from landings gone bad and countless crashes with trees and the ground all without a single issue with the bars. I ride about 4-5 days a week and do three to four foot drops to flat at least twice every ride.

For the record I don't ride carbon bars to save weight I love the feel of them and how they take out some of the vibration from the trail but yet still feel stiffer then aluminum bars.
    I suggest you think about replacing it soon!

mtbr member
    It will be replaced by another monkeylite after this summer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast