Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

carbon

Another stupid little benefit of carbon- I think it is not as cold on your paws when it is really cold outside. Aluminum conducts heat too well... even through the grips. Or when I am leaned over the handlebars gasping for breath

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

one more thing

I finally had some problems with my Monkey light bar recently. . Some cracking noises and couple of small bubble delams near the stem area. I blame my swapping to a Race Face Deus Stem. That is too much of a weight weenie stem, I think. Not only is the clamping area not very wide overall, but the faces that actually seat on the bar are narrow and far from complete rings of contact. By contrast, I ran a generic Nashbar stem with these bars for over a year with zero problems.

Needless to say, I stopped using the bar and the stem, and have now upgraded to a FSA Kforce "downhill" carbon bar and a traditional Thomson Elite stem. The Thomson stem is roughly a 1/4 inch wider overall, with much larger and more complete seating faces.

I highly recommend taking a real critical look at your stem choice for using carbon bars on AM bikes/terrain.

Another note- the Kforce is 710mm wide with a 2" rise and weighs 225g. The wall thickness is MUCH greater than the Monkeylite, perhaps almost twice as thick. Hopefully this translates into durability/strength fairly well. I doubt it will be as "plush" as the Eastons but should be stiffer.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    FWIW I had a buddy snap an Easton aluminum bar off of a drop, no warning signs beforehand.
    Bars made of the stronger aluminium alloys can do that when very thin walled tubing used. Heavier bars made of thicker walled 6061-T6 won't.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I don't ride carbon bars to save weight I love the feel of them and how they take out some of the vibration from the trail but yet still feel stiffer then aluminum bars.
    same here...

mtbr member
    I'm using Easton monkey-lite XC lo-rise 685mm Oversize (31.8 O/D at centre).

Custom User Title
    I actually have the XC's

I don't do that on a regular basis. Actually I only did it twice and one was on to a transition. I have alum on my DH.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2