mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 vs YT Jeffsy AL Comp

I'm split between these two bikes, I like the canyon look much better but the canyon weighs ~3 pounds more. The canyon is also 400$ cheaper and has a better spec for the money than the YT imo. Is the weight anything to worry about? I'm coming from a 25.5 pound hardtail so a bike 7 pounds heavier might feel very sluggish compared to one 4 pounds heavier. What do y'all think about that and the spec in general?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I do not think the 3 pounds matters to be honest-----what percent of ride weight is that?

Lots of chatter on this topic lately and most trail riders who are not racing tend to feel a bit of weight has been overblown as an issue.

I'd buy the bike you like better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmax17 View Post
    I'm split between these two bikes, I like the canyon look much better but the canyon weighs ~3 pounds more. The canyon is also 400$ cheaper and has a better spec for the money than the YT imo. Is the weight anything to worry about? I'm coming from a 25.5 pound hardtail so a bike 7 pounds heavier might feel very sluggish compared to one 4 pounds heavier. What do y'all think about that and the spec in general?
    Buy Canyon, weight is not that important, on Canyon u have 12-speed, suspension and wheels are the same on both, brakes are worse than on YT. You can spend price difference on some upgrades on spare tyres etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'll be on the other side of this saying that 3lbs is significant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I'm with MudNut here, especially if that 3 lbs makes the bike 32.5 lbs vs 29.5 lbs like your post implies.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm with MudNut here, especially if that 3 lbs makes the bike 32.5 lbs vs 29.5 lbs like your post implies.
    Lol, that's the best iteration of my username I've seen yet.

But yeah...29.5lb trail bike sounds great to me. 32.5 pound trail bike makes me want to look elsewhere. I guess that sounds silly, but it really is a big difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I agree with this and the other comments on what SEEMS too heavy. I went from 26lb XC full suspension to a 30lb Trail bike and it's easy to notice the weight increase. Both those bikes have light wheel sets so they are great at turning and stop/accelerate, but the Trail bike has a 7lb frame compared to the SC Blur 5lb. Does that keep the bike from being fun? Not at all! Those extra lbs. may need to be moved around, but I've adapted and with the trail bike my times are better than ever. So we can deal with a few lbs as long as they are not in the wheelset.
    Still not sure I would ever buy a 33lb Trail bike, that would be for some serious huck.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

MCMXCV
    I wonder if part of those 3lbs is that the YT is already tubeless while the Canyon is not? Just a thought.

If I were going to buy a pre-built bike right now, it would be the AL Spectral 6.0 all day......... it ticks all of my must-have boxes (EZ cable routing, threaded BB, aluminum) and the only components I would ditch day one is the brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I wonder if part of those 3lbs is that the YT is already tubeless while the Canyon is not? Just a thought.

If I were going to buy a pre-built bike right now, it would be the AL Spectral 6.0 all day......... it ticks all of my must-have boxes (EZ cable routing, threaded BB, aluminum) and the only components I would ditch day one is the brakes.
    I could be mistaken... but I do not believe that the Jeffsy ships tubeless. That would be a big hassle for YT.

mtbr member
    I think there's a mistake somewhere. The international Canyon website lists the weight as 13.5 kg, while the US site lists it as 14.7 kg. Same components.

If the 13.5 kg is the correct weight, then that puts it within 0.2 kg, or around a quarter pound difference.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The real answer to weight question is that only OP can decide if weight difference is important to him. If he is roadie/XC racer, probably yes... if average Joe trail rider then maybe yes, maybe no, if Enduro/DH guy, probably not.
    My opinion is if OP is not sure if weight is important to him, then he should go cheaper way because he is probably average Joe and he would/should not care if he will be 3 minutes faster in 1 hour climb.
    He can always go lighter later with upgrades (lighter wheelset etc..) if he realizes that those 3 minuts are so important

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfree View Post
    The real answer to weight question is that only OP can decide if weight difference is important to him. If he is roadie/XC racer, probably yes... if average Joe trail rider then maybe yes, maybe no, if Enduro/DH guy, probably not.
    My opinion is if OP is not sure if weight is important to him, then he should go cheaper way because he is probably average Joe and he would/should not care if he will be 3 minutes faster in 1 hour climb.
    He can always go lighter later with upgrades (lighter wheelset etc..) if he realizes that those 3 minuts are so important
    Yeah I agree. You have to get the bike that you want!

To spice things up even further, the Jeffsy AL (base model) is comparable in specs, and 100 dollars cheaper than the canyon.

Let us know what you decide! I'm interested to hear which way you go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfree View Post
    he would/should not care if he will be 3 minutes faster in 1 hour climb.
    In my experience and with my preferences it is not about being quicker. What matters is response. How the bike handles is very influenced by wheel/tire weight. I'm not very fast, but I want the bike to move around well. When it can change line/direction quickly, it is way easier to pop off features and have fun.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    According to the YT and Canyon websites, the Spectral AL 6.0 is 13.5 kg and the YT Jeffsy 27.5 AL Comp is 13.3 kg. SO I don't think weight should really play into it too much.

mtbr member
    I would expect to be able to ride all of these with the Canyon
    "BIKE CLASSIFICATION: This category includes all bikes from categories 1-3. In addition it includes use on very harsh, obstacle-scattered terrain with steep gradients and consequently higher speeds. Regular, moderate jumps pose no problem for experienced riders when using these bikes. Extended and regular use in bike parks and when tackling “North Shore” sections should be avoided. Due to increased stresses, these bikes should be checked for damage after every ride. Full suspension bikes with mid-level travel are typical in this category."
    https://www.canyon.com/en/mtb/spectr...al-al-6-0.html
    Scroll right down.
    In this day and age, do manufacturers still limit their frames?
    There are so many out there that dont.