mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Cant decide what to do for an AM bike

Hi all,
    I know you guys can help me. I have about 1600 dollars and I would like to get me an AM bike. I have two choices. The first choice would be be buy a Heckler D AM complete for 1584 or use the money to build a Preston FR. I have a very generous friend who will be donating a few parts for the build which will keep me within by budget. The questions I have is if I build the Preston I will be using BB7's and Rockshox Recon 351 U-turn. How does those compare to the deore hydros and the Rockshox Tora 302 u-turn. I cannot decide what to do. Any incites on how those to compare would be great becasue those will be the only real difference in the builds.

Freshly Fujified

Tough choice

First off, I'll answer the question regarding the fork and brake scenario. The Recon is going to be a better fork than the Tora. The Deore hydraulics are probably good, but I can't speak with any degree of authority about them, as I've never owned a set. I do have the Deore mechanicals on one bike and they work fine. I do give the edge to the BB7, because their reputation is outstanding. Based on this scenario, I would take the bike with the Recon and the BB7's.

Now for the tough part. I would not use these two components as a reason to choose my bike. Look first at the frame. While the Preston is no slouch, the Heckler is just one of those frames that gets consistently high praise, and is always used as a benchmark against others (much like the BB7's, but I'm digressing here). Make your choice based on which frame you feel is better for your purposes, and feels better when you ride it. The brakes and fork are relatively easy to swap out and if you do so as part of the deal when you buy your bike, you should get decent credit for them towards the purchase of the brakes and fork you want. In short, my recommendation would be to buy the Heckler, and swap out the fork, and possibly the brakes at the time of purchase.

I hope I haven't added any more confusion to an already tough decision.

best wishes in finding the right bike. Let us know what you end up with.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No, you havent added to any confusion. I have been debating over this for several months. I think it will be a toss up between the two frames as both will handle what I would like to do. Thanks for the reply hopefully I can get a few more oppinions.

mtbr member
    if you want to do more big drops, fr stuff, the preston is hard to beat. For riding up and down, all the time, heckler wins. Bob was dead on about brakes and fork, though I have heard pretty good things about the hydros on teh heckler.

Good luck

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Those Deore hydraulic brakes are great. Can't see the point in using cable disc brakes these days.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

VooDoo user.
    Wait till after inter-bike. Thats when they show off all the latest $hhit.

mtbr member
    bottom line is if you get either bikes you will be happy. riding is about having fun and whatever pushes your buttons. dont get too caught up in the details.

never ender
    I've got a Heckler with a Recon fork and Deore brakes. I like 'em both. But like a couple other people said, don't buy or build just based on component spec. I hope to still be riding my frame when the brakes and maybe the fork are long gone.

I looked at the Preston a little bit when I was shopping, and while it's a dope-looking bike, it runs a little small for my taste. The Heckler is longer and maybe lower in the BB. As far as durability goes, I think they're probably about the same.

Also, if you can get hooked up with parts to do a custom build on a Preston, you could probably do the same with a Heckler. I think they're probably the about the same price frame-only. You can also find Heckler frames for pretty cheap on Ebay sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'v had a Heckler with D AM kit, Fox Vanilla RLC and and float R rear for about a month and love it.The LBS I bought it at told me SC wasn't doing the 1,580 package with the Tora fork so I had to upgrade to Fox suspension for $1,900. The Heckler has been as advertised, very versitle, rides lighter than it is, climbs great, rolls over everything. The Deore hydrolics work great.Other components are working spot on. It's only been a month but I'm on that bike every chance I get riding hard.

I tossed and turned trying to decide on a couple of bikes myself so I know your pain. Which ever you chose will be a bike you will have a blast on and be plenty durable.

Good luck

Formerly DMR For Life
    one thing with the preston is that it runs a fairly high leverage ratio...and so if you are on the heavier side of things...my personal inclination would be to go with the heckler

DMR