mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cannondale Prophet or Commencal Meta 6???

I am running a custom Cannondale Prophet and I am thinking of changing the frame to a Commencal Meta 6. Why? I fancy something slightly longer travel , I love the 2007 Meta 55 frame and Commencal's contact system. The best 5.5inch frame I have ridden. Although I haven't ridden the 6.

Current set up is:

Prophet frame
    Fox RP23 rear shock
    Magura Wotan (160mm)
    Magura Louise brakes (203/180)
    XT drive train
    etc...

The Prophet is a great bike but I am on a large which is a little too big for me. The Commencal 6 has received good but not great reviews. I want a bike that is great fun on the descents but I can ride trails and XC rides on, generally linking up the descents. The slackest head angle setting on the Commencal is 67.5 degrees on the Prophet I am currently at 66 degrees.

Keen to get peoples thoughts on this, is it worth doing? Anyone ridden both bikes?

EvilRider
    Oct 2008
    I haven't ridden the Prophet so can't give you an accurate comparison. I recently purchased a 666 and love it. I came off a 4" XC and wanted more bike. I believe even with the slacker geo it handles/steers better on everything but the steepest lines/climbs. I would definitely go RP23 on the back as the RP2 has a little too much action for sustained climbs, but works wonderfully for short scrambles and rolling terrain. I find myself clearing more tech climbing on this bike even though its much more bike. It is a little heavy but have whittled it down to 32lbs with pedals, but it doesn't feel like more than my 27lb XC, except on sustained climbs. I suspect with a RP23 and some carbon bars and small bits and pieces at around 30lb it would be a joy to push uphill. It feels F-ing GREAT on the decents and rips the corners like it's on rails. Air time is super stable and smooth, it absorbs a hit great. Good luck with your decision!