mtbr member
    May 2010

Cannondale Prophet 1000

Hey need some help i am looking at buying a used 2005 Cannondale Prophet 1000, for $850.00 need some advice on price, and this type of bike, i will be riding on the west coast and nothing to extreme weekend rides. any info would be great i have never ridden a lefty fork...

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    bring it to a shop and have them make sure your lefty isn't in need of a rebuild first... i made that mistake... also 850 seems a little high for a bike that is half a decade old...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    May 2010

thanks

any idea on what a rebuild costs? i will call a few shops.. what would be a fair price for this bike in ur opinion?

This is what i know about it...
    Good condition 2005 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    Cannondale HeadShok Lefty Max 140mm fork
    Manitou Swinger 3-way air shock
    Medium frame

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by akhikerNV
    any idea on what a rebuild costs? i will call a few shops.. what would be a fair price for this bike in ur opinion?

This is what i know about it...
    Good condition 2005 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    Cannondale HeadShok Lefty Max 140mm fork
    Manitou Swinger 3-way air shock
    Medium frame
    for mine... i bought it rode it for like 10 hours then moved 700 miles south and thought I would bring it in for a oil change and what not...

mechanic found that the bearings had NEVER been reset and they rubbed into the walls of the fork so much that they left permanent (lets call them) ditches that kept the bearings from being aligned correctly...

The fork was sent to Cannondale for a re-machining of the inside of the bearing surface...

keep in mind this all took 2 MONTHS as the mechanic didn't get to my bike for 2 weeks. Cannondale lost my fork in their factory. Then the fork was sent to the wrong shop...

The mechanic complained to cannondale and got like 50 bucks off the service and it ended up being like 160 for a complete factory rebuild...

like i said have a qualified cannondale mechanic look it over and you will do your self a HUGE FAVOR... the guy i bought my bike from said he just had it tuned by a mechanic and the fork serviced... LIAR!!! and he seemed honest and such... I paid 700 for my 2007 prophet plus the 160 for the fork... but since then i have upgraded nearly everyhting else

so take this guy to the shop and have it checked out for like 20 bucks or whatever they wanna charge and talk this guy down 300 and you may have a good deal...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    May 2009
    is this the one you are looking at

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/1749426773.html

i was thinking about that one but seriously i wouldnt pay more that $500-600 for it but thats mostly because i dont need another bike.

both las vegas cyclery and mcghies in las vegas are cannondale dealers and can prob handle a rebuild.

mtbr member
    May 2010

yes

yes that is the bike.

thanks for the info, i dont want to get ripped off. but it looks like a good bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Prophet is a great bike. I've put 12000k on mine since 2006 , had a lefty rebuild in 2008, upgraded to XT stuff etc. I break it, I upgrade it. My only bike. AM rocky rooty singletracks and its just great. My only complaint is that when it gives up its ghost, they wont be makin me a new one.

mtbr member
    pawn off the lefty to some other poor bastard and pickup one of those dirt cheap lyriks from bikewagon

mtbr member
    May 2010

no good

thanks for all the advice, I had the bike looked at and it need up to $300 dollars in repairs. I made any offer the guy wanted to keep it thoe. the guy was cool about it.

Thanks for saving me some cash and maybe a big headache...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    Prophet is a great bike. I've put 12000k on mine since 2006 , had a lefty rebuild in 2008, upgraded to XT stuff etc. I break it, I upgrade it. My only bike. AM rocky rooty singletracks and its just great. My only complaint is that when it gives up its ghost, they wont be makin me a new one.

Indeed. My 2005 is going strong. I bought a Motolite in 2009 as its replacement, but found it just couldn't replace the fun of the Prophet. The Prophet is still my go-to bike despite XTR level parts on my Motolite (vs XTs on the Prophet).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    pawn off the lefty to some other poor bastard and pickup one of those dirt cheap lyriks from bikewagon
    He would need a new wheel too. The lefty would be the 2nd best part of the bike anyway, if it was in good order. The Prophet was a good "point downhill and let off the brakes and hold on" type of bike. When I had mine, the best line was just straight down!!!

The only downside to the Prophet was it's steep climbing. The nose like to come up.

But, it does have that cool FR or XC frame setting. I used that a few times and liked it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.