mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Cannondale HEADSHOK is busted...I think...

Hey everybody. I'm a total noob to Cannondale, so go easy one me. A family member hand-me-downed a 2005 F400 last week, telling me it was in great shape except "something with the fork suspension". Well, that 'something' is the Headshok, and it does not spring back when the dial is turned. It stays down on the fork, metal-to-metal. I can grab the fork and pull it down, then turn the dial, and lock it out that way.

Big problem, obviously...but how big? I think I know the answer, but how involved and expensive is the repair? Thanks...and thanks for your patience.

Its got what plants crave
    Not even worth repairing IMO. Buy another headset and put something aftermarket on it. You'll get better quality travel AND more of it. I'd suggets something from Fox or Rockshox. Headshoks suck.

Dirt Deviant
    Yea, the headshocks are a nightmare.
    Jim has got it right.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    How much do you want to spend on the bike? Their suggestions are right on the money, but figure on 3-400 bucks to get a new HS, Fork, and have it installed...

He could get something used or closeout. I bought my Fox 32 Vanilla for 250 dollars as an OEM takeoff from Jenson. Headset to adapt to the C-Dale frame was another 65 bucks I thinik.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It need a service .This can be done at home but special tools are needed,Have you a local cannondale dealer that can do it.If the rest of the bike is ok it would be cheaper than buying adaptors and a new fork.

mtbr member
    I would ask in the Cannondale forums. Mendon Cycle Smith can fix, service, and overhaul your fork for A LOT cheaper than buying a new fork and headset.

I had my 2005 f4 for two years without a problem. IMHO spending 300 dollars doesn't make much sense on a bike that cost $700 brand new in 2005 (and the headshok is stiff and smooth when it's working). Talk to Mendon

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    I would ask in the Cannondale forums. Mendon Cycle Smith can fix, service, and overhaul your fork for A LOT cheaper than buying a new fork and headset.

I had my 2005 f4 for two years without a problem. IMHO spending 300 dollars doesn't make much sense on a bike that cost $700 brand new in 2005 (and the headshok is stiff and smooth when it's working). Talk to Mendon

Many thanks. I posted in the Cannondale thread, and got some very good input. Appreciate it.

I sent a headshock back at one point in time and I think it was 75 bucks if you want to service it. C-Dale lost my fork for about 1.5 months, however, which sucked. Headshocks just dont have enough travel to make a rebuild worth it. I'd spend an extra hundred bucks and put something else on personally. I say that as the owner of 3 Headshocks on 3 different Cannondales