Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008

Canfield One - building thread

Yup...I had a thread about the geo of the Canfield Sauce, but I changed my mind and ordered a One instead.

Will try to maintain this thread with pictures and updates as things progress...and from what I hear from my local dealer here in Norway, the shipment from Canfield is soon on its way.

The build will be:

Canfield One - Large with Mica Blue links
    Fox DHX Air 5
    Rock Shox Lyric U-Turn 2008
    Formula Oro K18 180mm F
    Formula Oro K18 160mm R
    Shimano XT Cassette 9 Speed M760
    Shimano XT Rear Derailleur Shadow M772
    Shimano XT Front Derailleur Conventional M771
    Shimano XT Shifter Pod 9sp M770 F/R
    Truvativ Stylo 3.3 GXP
    Chris King ISO Disc 20mm Front Blue
    Chris King ISO Disc Rear Blue
    Chris King NoThreadset Blue
    Truvativ Team XC-DH Riser Bar
    Thomson Elite X4 MTB Stem 100mm
    Thomson Elite Masterpiece InLine
    Mavic EN521
    ODI Yeti Hardcore

Will add with blue seat clamp and blue qr's to match the links and Chris King parts.

Been saving up $$$ for some time now, to be able to build a new bike without pissing my wife off to much - and I think I made a right choice both regarding frame and equipment. Have tried to focus both on quality/strength and weight, with focus on quality/strength.

So...update comes as soon as the frame arrive!

No, that's not phonetic
    Sounds cool. Also let us know what bike(s) you are coming off of for comparison's sake.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Sounds cool. Also let us know what bike(s) you are coming off of for comparison's sake.
    +1 to that. I'm jealous. that sounds like a pretty nice build to say the least. I'd go coil rear /36 series fork personally. Even with the coil, it would still be light for what it is...

What are you looking at?
    The One has 8 inches of travel right? I'd like to know the weight and see a ride report when you're done
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    The One has 8 inches of travel right? I'd like to know the weight and see a ride report when you're done

The frame is supposedly quite light, and with those specs my guess is just north of 30.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    pls keep us updated, sure sounds like good stuff!!!
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    very nice sounding build, but I'm wondering if K18s with a 180/160 rotor configuration can handle the braking duties of a bike like this? You're sure to be flying along quite quickly, may want to step it up a size IMO

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    My previous bikes (since back in the 90's):

- GT Zaskar LE
    - Kona Kula
    - Gekko Warbaby (Norwegian brand)

Went over to downhill in 2000:

- Foes Tube DHS
    - SC VPFree

Trailbike:

- GT Id5

Been testing bikes for a local magazine, so've had experience with a ton of different trail, am and freeridebikes the last seasons.

I have good experience with the power in the K18 - so I'll try the 180/160 combo first, and see how it goes. Not the hardest of upgrades if I need one. :-)

I've already built this bike in excel, added the weight of all the parts.
    It seems to come in around 14,6kg when calculating with 36 spokes, and I'm building with 32.

The bike is adjustable between 7" and 8".
    Geo here:

7inches
    8inches

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    And a small review of the bike can be found here:

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5990

Dirt Deviant
    Thats gonna be sick!! Congrats, and keep us updated.

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    +1 to that. I'm jealous. that sounds like a pretty nice build to say the least. I'd go coil rear /36 series fork personally. Even with the coil, it would still be light for what it is...
    I was actually going for a Fox fork in the beginning, since that's what I've had on my latest bikes (DH40RC2 on my dh, and the Vanilla fork on my trialbike). It would save weight, and I know how to work with them. But pricing and availability here in Norway changed all that.

Some of the bikes we tested for the local mag last season had the Lyric forks, and being happy with how they worked out on the trail - I went for one.

3-4 years ago, I wouldn't have a doubt - but 2007 showed that most highend forks currently on the market are damn good ones. They differ in how much run-in is needed, but they all deliver in the end.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetmotor
    And a small review of the bike can be found here:

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5990
    Looks very sweeet... Get her on the trail and we'll hear what you say..

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    [double post]
    Last edited by softailteamrider; 03-04-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider
    Looks very sweeet... Get her on the trail and we'll hear what you say..
    As soon as Canfield are able to ship her over
    Got all the other gear here already.

mtbr member
    I would throw in a vote for the Formula TheOne brakes, 180mm front 160mm rear. I will definitely be watching this build closely. that is one of the bikes I have been drooling over. although I would be very inclined to run a Pushed DHX coil, a CCDB, a Roco coil maybe a Romicor, or if I wanted an air shock, an Evolver ISX6. that, paired up with a '05 Dorado 180 inverted dual crown fork. hey, it's the same weight as most of the 'Zoke 66 series forks are and has the same travel, just triple crown, inverted design, at least $200 cheaper than an '08 66, and imho looks way cooler
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

Paste eater
    Sorry, but the dorados are FUGLY!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Very nice! I'm amazed w/ that frame, just 7lbs!

I've been talking with Chris and Lance, and am about to preorder a Can-Diggle (your bike's bigger brother).

Looks like a solid build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ignore

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Sorry, but the dorados are FUGLY!
    Guess that's a matter of opinion.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Very nice! I'm amazed w/ that frame, just 7lbs!
    I'm almost positive that's sans shock.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyp Dawg
    I would throw in a vote for the Formula TheOne brakes, 180mm front 160mm rear. I will definitely be watching this build closely. that is one of the bikes I have been drooling over. although I would be very inclined to run a Pushed DHX coil, a CCDB, a Roco coil maybe a Romicor, or if I wanted an air shock, an Evolver ISX6. that, paired up with a '05 Dorado 180 inverted dual crown fork. hey, it's the same weight as most of the 'Zoke 66 series forks are and has the same travel, just triple crown, inverted design, at least $200 cheaper than an '08 66, and imho looks way cooler

sounds parts spec for a Can-Diggle..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    I'm almost positive that's sans shock.
    Straight from their site:

"7lbs with Fox 5.0 air"

mtbr member
    Straight from their site:

"7lbs with Fox 5.0 air"
    Daaammnnn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Daaammnnn.
    The Canfield guy told me on another thread, it isn't "as good" as the Candiggle if your going to be doing (repeated) fifteen footers though.
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Guess that's a matter of opinion.

Come one BA. Someone who cringes at the sight of a left, is going to stand up for the ascetic qualities of a Dorado?

I'll admit, it's a matter of opinon, but i don't like upside down forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider
    sounds parts spec for a Can-Diggle..
    I prefer the less slack angles the One has compared to the Can-Diggle. but if I was going for a straight up DH or slopestyle rig I'd go for a Can-Diggle. wait, actually I'd probably end up with a Jedi F1 for DH shuttle duties. as for upside down forks being ugly, it's all a matter of opinion. they look real cool on longer travel bikes (Foes 2:1 DHS Mono, or most all DH rigs for that matter), gives them a bit of motocross-bike-ness (yes, it is a word now), and I wouldn't mind running a single crown invert fork on a shorter travel bike (say, a Dorado SC or the older 'Zoke inverted single crown fork paired with a BLT or a Banshee Pyre)

thread hijack aside, I'm going to be pretty much glued to this thread waiting for a ride report and pictures of the thing
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyp Dawg
    or the older 'Zoke inverted single crown fork paired with a BLT or a Banshee Pyre)
    Those forks where as stiff as the side walls of a maxxis swampthing.
    You could put the wheel between your legs and turn the handlebars 90degrees. (at least if felt like it)

But yeah...hijacking aside. I'll post more info as soon as flymybike ships the frame, and I've recieved it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm SOO stoked on these frames, everyone I've talked to said they are the best pedalling 7-8" bikes period. Straight from Lance over at Canfield in an e-mail:

"It is the best pedaling frame on the planet. Seriously.
    You can climb in 8" mode- no problem."

GAME ON!
    no reason at all for canfield to say something about their own product that might not be true. i'm sold.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    no reason at all for canfield to say something about their own product that might not be true. i'm sold.
    Sure they are probably just hyping up their frames, but from every single that has posted that has ridden The One, the consensus seems that it pedals amazingly.

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    My box-of-parts are missing their frame...anybody know if Canfield has shipped yet?
    Heard the dealer say the frames would arrive europe in March/April.

My box-of-parts are missing their frame...anybody know if Canfield has shipped yet?
    Seems like I read mid April yesterday on the DH/FR board?
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

mtbr member
    Sure they are probably just hyping up their frames, but from every single that has posted that has ridden The One, the consensus seems that it pedals amazingly.
    This is just a thought I have been having lately, why is it that only the botique bikes offer "the best pedalling" or "the best climbing" and so on where I practicly never hear this regarding bigger bikes? I cannot poosibly vouch for this statement as I have never ridden a botique frame or even spent much saddle time on a full suspension (i am a student with no money) but wouldn't you think a company with a much bigger r & d be able to produce some of the best bikes as they have the time money and resources to do so?

I have nothing really to back up that thought because, thats what it is, a thought.

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    This is just a thought I have been having lately, why is it that only the botique bikes offer "the best pedalling" or "the best climbing" and so on where I practicly never hear this regarding bigger bikes? I cannot poosibly vouch for this statement as I have never ridden a botique frame or even spent much saddle time on a full suspension (i am a student with no money) but wouldn't you think a company with a much bigger r & d be able to produce some of the best bikes as they have the time money and resources to do so?

I have nothing really to back up that thought because, thats what it is, a thought.
    Both yes and no.
    No doubt companies like Canfield, Brooklyn Machine Works and such has launched some of the best and funniest DH bikes I've ridden....while massive companies like Trek and Kona has launched some of the most boring and worst rides ever being sold as bikes (my opinion).

Big companies are controlled by stockholders, manager boards and a focus on making most money out of what they have. Of course this has to be balanced with a good R&D, but a lot of times the money that could go to R&D are moved over to marketing - and they work to hype the technology they're using until enough buyers belive the hype.

Smaller companies are much more dependent on bringing high quality and good service to the market, since they are much more vulnerable. Of course money is still a key factor, but smaller companies that's been around for a while (or grow) usually do so because they have some really bright minds on the team. Many times, these guys used to work for the big companies as well...

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I think jetmotor said it all. On top of that, small company mostly driven by guys who are really passionate about riding (Chris and Lance from Canfield, Dave Turner, .etc), they may be less constrained by bureaucracy of a big company to create what they want.
    I m not saying that big company couldn't do that but set of rules or procedures to follow by them may dilute the idea to change something.

Mark
    Apr 2008
    I would be concerned about the strength of Mavic 521 for this type of build. My friend put a big dent in the side wall of his rear 521. He is quite a heavy rider.. but my gut reaction to your build was that they may not last too long..

Thats my opinion, you maybe right to choose them.

Mark.
    Scotland

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    Well...the wheels are already built, so I guess I'll have to find out for myself
    The bike will be used for Trail/All Mountain, and I've ridden with "medium-2-soft" rims earlier without problems. Really depends on the tires. On this I will be using a new set that I'm not familiar with...so you might have a point.

There are some changes to this build though:

- The 2008 version of the Fox Air DHX has changed the location of the air valve. So it won't fit the frame in its 8" setting.
    - My build will therefor be using a custom built Marzocchi Roco WC with TST R internals (thanks Marzocchi Norway!)

Canfield said they would ship (finally) this week, so I hope to bring some pictures to this thread soon...

Mark
    Apr 2008
    Ya they will be fine for that sort of riding.

I am just about to order a Can can with DHX.5 coil! can't wait..

My build will be similar to yours, light but solid. I've got the Formula Mega brakes - amazing.
    Fork - Totem or Lyric solo air.

Going back to rims, I will be running Spank Subrosa rims. I can't recommend them enough.. light 580g, gd profile and really solid. well worth a considering in the future.

I'll post my complete build soon and pics when I get the bike.

Whats the riding like in Norway?

fux
    Scooterist
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

According to Chris C

There were production issues with the Jedi which held up shipping all frames from Taiwan. They should be on a boat to the US this week. It will take four weeks for the boat to get to the US.

I think I just sqeezed in the time line to get mine air shipped for an additional $100 bucks. Hopefully it will be in the states by the middle of next week April 16-18 i think. I haven't gotten any shipping info as of yet.

Canfield Brothers
    The air shipment goes out on monday to SLC and then we will ship right after Sea Otter, the week of the 21st. We where able to get a handful of bikes and there going to long time customers and sponsored riders, getting there bikes this week.

Come ride this bike, along with the rest of our line up at Sea Otter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    You should seriously update your homepage with some new pictures!!
    The pictures you got on there are terrible compared to what this bike looks like

Canfield Brothers
    Thanks, it's in the process. I fugured everyone would like to see some pictures of the first builds without waiting for us to update the site. We have a new site coming that we will be able to update, should make e-life a bit easier. Back to packing for SeaOtter! See you there!
    BTW the One with Welgo MG-1 flat pedals weighs 31.25lbs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Nice bike, nicer dog!

Great looking bike, but the Boxer is beautiful!
    Does he or she go on rides with you?
    Eric

Canfield Brothers
    Her name is Mila and yes , she loves to run. She can run on or off leash, directly on my right and knows comands like, right, left, slow, stop, otherway. I'm working on getting her to ride in my BOB trailer so I can take her on longer rides and carrier her on pavement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well done, the smile on her face after a long ride must be amazing. I have a 10 month old Rottie at home, not sure how well he will do but I will give it a shot when his body is mature (need to watch out for hip displasia). My gf and I looked at boxers first but didn't like any of the breeders then we met our Rotties breeder and the *****. Love at first sight!
    Maybe next summer when the Rottie needs a friend we will get a boxer.
    Eric
    Who edited my post. B*tch is the female dog and not a swear word.
    Last edited by rugbyred; 04-15-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Canfield Brothers
    Amazingly enough, Mila is a pound puppy. We got her at 3 months from the shelter. A pack of 13-14 year old kids thought it was a good idea to get a group dog. When the parents found out, she went from home to home until our friend at the shelter stoped that and gave us a call. She is 2 years now so this will be the first year to really take her on real rides. The hip displasia is part of the reason I want to get her to ride in the trailer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    She is quite the "pound puppy". Guess the kids had more taste than brains! Too bad the breeder only wanted to make money.
    Great story, would love to see her running trails. I have heard that you should keep an eye on the pads of her paws depending on the terrain you ride. They can get pretty beat up with all the running.
    On the first day that we got the puppy, I had him drinking from my camel back. Only 14 more months to go before he can safely go for a long run.
    Eric

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    No wonder Lance steals my thread...I suck at updating

But now, finally some progress.
    Some changes to the equipment, but not much.

The biggest change is the custom Roco TST R, which is a rebuilt Roco WC with the TST R shims (thanks Marzocchi Norway for making this one!).

The are still some loose ends here:

- Front brake not attached (need adapter)
    - Rear wire not attached
    - Front wire not even there yet
    - And the chain of course

But I'm getting there...

Really happy with this one, and the weight...it feels so light!!
    Looking forward to getting everything on and see what weighs in at...

Well...picture time (sorry about the quality...compact camera indoors):

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

looks stunning

Everything is coming together really well. Those angles look great also, looks slack enough with that fork at 160 and you have the ability to drop for climbs. Good smart build there. Curious to see if you come in under Lance's 31.25 lbs. I like your build a little more with your suspension choice. Pumped for you man, thanks for keeping is posted and keep sending more info and photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast