mtbr member
    Jun 2006

cane creek terros for am?

Anybody use these wheels for aggressive trailriding?

Will my bullit like clanging around lots of roots and 2-5 ft drops on them.

Are they ust compatible?

I like ideas behind the strait pull spokes with the force transfer flange for the break side.
    ares these gimmicks good ideas or just gimmicks?

at 250 the price seems real nice.

a e i o u and sometimes y
    I've been watchin' this post because i, too, like this wheelset very much. I ride xc/am as well. I think they'd be perfect for it, but would like to hear from others. I love Cane Creek..

Baba Booey!

CC is nice

I've been riding a pair of CC wam discs that I picked up on Nashbar for about 300 about a year and a half ago. I weigh about 230 with all my gear, and I ride pretty techy AM terrain including ski resort light DH and some small jumps and drops. I literally have only had to true these wheels once! right now my front wheel is as straight as Tom Selleck and my rear is more of a David Hasselhoff (just a little off)
    CC customer service is great too, they recently replaced my freehub for free!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I ride the Cane Creek duros, and they are amazing. Never had to true them, no matter whether I rode lift accessed FR or AM.
    I've been eyeing the terros also, which are a lot lighter, and fall more into the crossmax xl category. I'm sure they would be fine for most AM riding.

mtbr member
    I havn't ever owned a CC wheelset, but as a bike shop employee, I have this to say about them: I wouldn't buy a pair if you do your own wheel maintenence. They are a b*tch to work on if that work involves turning any nipples. They take a special tool that you can only turn about an eighth of a turn at a time, and you have to take off the casette and rotors to do it. Whatsmore the spokes have a way of getting stuck in the rim and hub, which makes replacing them should you ever break one exceedingly difficult. Last pair I worked on, which was getting a full rebuild, we ended up having to cut out the old spokes, then soak all the contact points between the spokes and the rim/hub in penatrating oil, then use two pairs of vice grips, a hammer, and two people to get them out. Took about 2.5 hours for the pair, just to take out the old spokes. They seem to perform well though, from what I've seen of my riding buddy's. I can't remember which ones he has. His were the ones being rebuilt BTW. So they're probably nice wheels, but working on them is a nightmare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    the thing is, if you have the right wheelset for you (solid enough for the kind of riding you do), you don't really need to do any trueing to them. I never had to true mine, so I don't even consider the maintainability in that aspect, when shopping for wheels.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfist23
    I've been riding a pair of CC wam discs that I picked up on Nashbar for about 300 about a year and a half ago. I weigh about 230 with all my gear, and I ride pretty techy AM terrain including ski resort light DH and some small jumps and drops. I literally have only had to true these wheels once! right now my front wheel is as straight as Tom Selleck and my rear is more of a David Hasselhoff (just a little off)
    CC customer service is great too, they recently replaced my freehub for free!

BWAAAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!!!

I'm stealing that analogy... To funny!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteblues
    the thing is, if you have the right wheelset for you (solid enough for the kind of riding you do), you don't really need to do any trueing to them. I never had to true mine, so I don't even consider the maintainability in that aspect, when shopping for wheels.
    I disagree. As far as I'm concerened, truing is somewhat routine maintenance that needs doing periodically, and your wheels are overkill if they never need truing. Is this nessicarily a bad thing? No, but I'm willing to true every once in a while to save a bit of weight off the wheels.

CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    http://www.canecreek.com/terros_disc.html
    a little more info, they're 24mm wide and 2024g. 24 is wider than xc but not a very wide rim.
    they seem awesome and they're only $250 if you google them. $50 gives you a decent custom wheel,but... still
    [SIZE="1"]Kona Coiler[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've been running a Terros wheelset for the last year since I got my 5spot.
    So far, they are holding up pretty nicely with only some very minor truing maintanance.
    Keep in mind though that they are around 200gr heavier than a Mavic CrossMax XL, which also should be strong enough for AM.