mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cane Creek 40 vs Hope headset

I'm deciding which headset to put on my new bike.
    I can get a Cane Creek 40 (EC44/ZS44) or a Hope for pretty much the same price. I've heard good things of both, but I've never held in hand neither one. Is the build quality similar or is the Hope more in line with the CC 110?

Which one would you pick (and why)?

mtbr member
    I've had both for my Honzo build and ended up going with the CC40 and selling the Hope lower cup (which is huge btw). To me they looked to be of the same quality. Plus getting spares for Cane Creek is easier for me.

IMO, there's no reason to pay more for a headset than CC40, for any other reason than bike bling $$$.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just bought the EC44 last week. If you were asking this a week from now, I could give you a better answer. I don't think the 40 will be lacking though.

mtbr member
    I have not used CC for a long time, but Hope is fantastic. I have just ordered a second headset from them. I run their BBs as well. Highly recommend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Personally I'd go with a 40. Cane Creek simply makes reliable, inexpensive (relatively), top quality, and beautifuly headsets. With them, you really can have the light/strong/cheap triangle.

RideDirt
    Pretty much i guess whatever you like , i dont have experience with any of those but to make it easier how about flipping a coin ? quick solution lol .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You are not making the choice any easier ;-)
    I'll end up flipping a coin!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've had a CC 40 on my bike for about 5 months now and I can tell you it's been great! It's also super easy to get hold of CC headset bearings when they eventually wear out (which all bearings do). Not sure how easy it is to get the hope bearings though.

mtbr member
    The Cane Creek 40 is an exceptional headset.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Any of the SEALED or CARTRIDGE bearing headsets will work.
    Brand loyalty is your preference of course.

Simply stay away of caged bearing assemblies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudster View Post
    Any of the SEALED or CARTRIDGE bearing headsets will work.
    Brand loyalty is your preference of course.

Simply stay away of caged bearing assemblies.
    Agree and disagree. I love my Cane Creek headsets and have S3s (the 40 replaced the S3 in their headset lineup) on several bikes. The headset on my commuter has over 10K miles on it over the last 7 years and is on the original bearings, no indexing no new grease (though I probably should repack).

It was a purchase on my first singlespeed in college that has been back and forth on at least five bikes since then and is on my commuter now (4K miles alone in the last 18 months). Cane Creek headsets rock.

That being said, caged bearing assembly headsets can work well if you're on a budget and dont mind repacking once or twice a year. I put one on a bike I built for my sister (it was a Tange or Ritchey) and last I checked it was still fine, but she doesnt ride much or at all in wet conditions. Looseball headsets were the norm for decades and most still are in operation on pub bikes, polo bikes, commuters, and restored vintage bikes. Sure they'll need regular maintenance but I wouldnt go as far as to say avoid them, just know what you're getting.

Pay the extra amount for sealed cartridges if you like an easier install and higher cost for replacement bearings or go cheap with loose balls and a tub of grease that will last the life of the headset.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    the 40 is an excellent headset! I love the way that the Hope headset looks but there is no way that I'm going to pay that kinda money on a headset that is no light/stronger/better. I have had the 40 on a few different bikes and they have all been very good to me. other than Cane Creek headsets I also really like FSA headsets but they have fallen behind the times I'm afraid.

mtbr member
    I went with Hope this time around just to give it a shot, plus it matched my hubs. I paid $68 through my LBS including the Hope Head Dr.

So far it's treated me fine, just like every other headset I've owned.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I <3 Cane Creek.

Asheville NC for the win.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have 3 CC40 headsets on different bikes and I love them. They have proven to be light, reliable, and relatively cheap. It is pretty much my go to headset when building a bike or whenever replacing old parts.