mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Can you tell which is best by the parts?

Ok, whoever helps me out here is my savior. I've been researching bikes from my local bike shop and it comes down to these 9. I've already eliminated like 10 and the price is all the same on these (within $100 of each other). The rider will be a 5 foot girlfriend (yes, all these are available in s/xs).

Picture wont fit so here's a link to the spreadsheet...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gH0AHDCSt-FZIeE7vaqW2KpEX3pn8mLuaWeTsOEpw8A/edit?usp=sharing

mtbr member
    Probably not the answer you're looking for, but at this price point, just get the bike that fits her best, looks cool, and is available locally - in that order. There truly isn't a huge difference between these part lists. If I absolutely had to, I would choose one of the Marin's with Shimano M315 brakes. At the very least, she'll have decent stoppers. Maybe someone else can weigh in, too.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When she test rides the bikes remember they can make adjustments to get a better fit. A stem is a 3 minute swap to change the cockpit length. The seat can slide bars can be changed for width sweep and rise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The ones with Shimano brakes would be my pick. Have you considered bikes direct? They're about 20-25% cheaper (and no tax so even more than that) for comparable bikes. The women specific bikes would be a nice benefit for increased standover and comfier seats.

Save Up To 60% Off Women's Mountain Bikes - *ALL BIKES FREE SHIP 48, NO TAX Collected 48 States 2018 Motobecane W27HT COMP Powerful Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brake Mountain Bikes Women Specific 27.5 / 650B Mountain Bikes Beautiful New Custom Colors

Co Springs
    I'd think those brands all stack up pretty well at that price point. I'd lean to any or all bikes readily available and locally serviced/supported that she can test ride. Get her to rate them by feel and comfort.

If she understands fit and comfort are the priority and should lead her to the bike she will feel most capable and confident on, hopefully she can put color, style and looks to the tie breaker. It's not easy to buy a bad bike these days.
    Keep it all fun including the shopping and test rides/fit part.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Buy the cheapest, it's what she would do.

mtbr member
    I've been down this road a couple times. Let her pick... Explain fit/function but let her pick.

mtbr member
    let her pick, then when shes wrong, she cant blame you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera911xc View Post
    The ones with Shimano brakes would be my pick. Have you considered bikes direct? They're about 20-25% cheaper (and no tax so even more than that) for comparable bikes. The women specific bikes would be a nice benefit for increased standover and comfier seats.

Save Up To 60% Off Women's Mountain Bikes - *ALL BIKES FREE SHIP 48, NO TAX Collected 48 States 2018 Motobecane W27HT COMP Powerful Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brake Mountain Bikes Women Specific 27.5 / 650B Mountain Bikes Beautiful New Custom Colors
    WOW, what a deal, they were almost $1300 now only $450!

Out spokin'
    Let her pick! She picked you, didn't she?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    let her pick, then when shes wrong, she cant blame you
    Wrong. A woman will find a way to blame you for anything she wants. In this case, she could blame you for not telling her the best bike to buy. After all, you know about bikes and you let her buy the one that is too slow and makes her tired.