Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Can you ride Caged Clips like Platforms?

I ride a set of hard soled shoes with M520 clipless pedals. Tension is pretty loose, so I can bail fairly easy. However, I've got virtually no grip on the pedals when not riding clipped in.

Are there shoes or pedals that allow for more natural "clipped out" pedal feel?
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I ride a set of hard soled shoes with M520 clipless pedals. Tension is pretty loose, so I can bail fairly easy. However, I've got virtually no grip on the pedals when not riding clipped in.

Are there shoes or pedals that allow for more natural "clipped out" pedal feel?
    If I understand the question correctly, you're looking for a pedal with some "platform" to stand on while not actually engaged in the clip mechanism.

If so, take a look into the latest generation Crank Brother Mallet pedals or Time Atac MX series pedals. Add in a pair of shoes with actual rubber in the sole's arch area (not plastic like all roadie shoes...and most mountain shoes). Something like a Teva Pivot, Five Ten Minnaar or Shimano MT-33L.

It won't be as easy as riding with a traditional platform pedal, but you'll get close, and still have the efficiency benefits of a clipless pedal.

Best of luck.

smartass
    Yeah, hard soled shoes are most of the problem. Even on a proper flat pedal they'll still feel sketchy. I'm really happy with my Shimano AM45's.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a Crankbrothers Mallet with 5.10 Freerider shoes. It is not a good idea at all, the cleat will keep your foot from getting a solid grip and you'll probably slip a pedal. In the case of the Freerider, you'll also feel the cleat a lot and it will be uncomfortable.

I swap between Eggbeaters and Answer Rove platforms.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a Crankbrothers Mallet with 5.10 Freerider shoes. It is not a good idea at all, the cleat will keep your foot from getting a solid grip and you'll probably slip a pedal. In the case of the Freerider, you'll also feel the cleat a lot and it will be uncomfortable.
    Well, what did you expect???

OP: Choose a clipless pedal with a nice platform around it with a shoe that was actually made for such a pedal and you have the combination you're looking for. Pedals such as the CB Mallet and shoes such as the Teva Links of the 5.10 Minnaar will do the trick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    Well, what did you expect???

OP: Choose a clipless pedal with a nice platform around it with a shoe that was actually made for such a pedal and you have the combination you're looking for. Pedals such as the CB Mallet and shoes such as the Teva Links of the 5.10 Minnaar will do the trick
    Thanks for all the question marks.

I was actually just riding around the neighborhood with my son, so I didn't expect much and that's what I got. I would not try it on a trail, and that's what I told the OP.

The rest of your reply I don't think hits the mark. I believe the OP is trying to find a clipless pedal that can actually be ridden on a trail with standard shoes. It doesn't exist. He needs either clipless or platform, and of course the right shoes to match.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    The rest of your reply I don't think hits the mark. I believe the OP is trying to find a clipless pedal that can actually be ridden on a trail with standard shoes. It doesn't exist. He needs either clipless or platform, and of course the right shoes to match.
    False. I'm wondering what clipless shoes I can get that will allow me to ride comfortable on platforms.

If you look at a lot of Enduro racers, they are using shoes that appear to have flat soles, despite using minimally caged pedals.

Perfect example:

Jared Graves rocking what looks to be a clipless pedal with a flat soled clipless shoe:
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    False. I'm wondering what clipless shoes I can get that will allow me to ride comfortable on platforms.
    Ok... so are you talking about two different pedals, one clipless and one platform?

Or are you looking for a pedal, whether single-sided or not, that you can be unclipped and still have a good grip?

EDIT: ok, you added info with your edit. The 5.10 Minnar referenced earlier is like that. There are many clipless shoes that have a flat sole but the cleat will still stick out a bit, and it will be a lump under your foot on a standard pedal or when walking.

I'm looking for more the shoe than I am the pedal. I know about caged clips, I've ridden them, but usually with hard soled clipped shoes, which sucks. Absolutely no advantage over non-caged clipless.

I have no experience with high quality flat soled clipless mtb shoes and how they might grip a straight platform, caged clipless, or un-caged clipless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Like mentioned above, you'll want something like the 510 hellcat or minnaar