mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Can you recommend me a decent AM hard tail bike for $400

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new hard tail bike.
    Budget: max $400.

The person who will get this bike is starting with mountain biking but has been doing road biking for a while, he just wants to upgrade to mountain biking due to moving to a new location where the roads are bad to cycle but the mountains are there to enjoy.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    You can barely get a decent commuter bike for $400. You probably can't get a AM hardtail frame for $400 retail

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Yeah the budget I am afraid is just too low for a decent AM bike. You might be able to find something used, but at 400 that will probably still be hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoot View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new hard tail bike.
    Budget: max $400.

The person who will get this bike is starting with mountain biking but has been doing road biking for a while, he just wants to upgrade to mountain biking due to moving to a new location where the roads are bad to cycle but the mountains are there to enjoy.

Thanks in advance!
    I can sell you an All Mountain hardtail frame within your budget. It's a 2012 med./18" Kona Honzo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok guys, understood.

Maybe I didn't explain myself the right way. What I'm asking is for the best deal for a $400 bike regarding quality/price

I know if I want a decent AM hard tail bike I need a lot more than $400. I just need to know what is the best bike/deal for a $400 budget.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Go faster!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Buy used maybe on Craigslist. I bought my on-one 456c frame which has AM hardtail geometry for 440 shipped.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Cant beat the airborne Guardian for $675 shipped. just cant!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoot View Post
    Ok guys, understood.

Maybe I didn't explain myself the right way. What I'm asking is for the best deal for a $400 bike regarding quality/price

I know if I want a decent AM hard tail bike I need a lot more than $400. I just need to know what is the best bike/deal for a $400 budget.

Thanks!
    They're not trying to shoot you down. $400 is just too little cash to get a bike that's going to take a serious AM beating. You can get a bike for that much money, but plan on the hubs, headset, drivetrain and fork being shot after a month of good riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Frames and Forks go check that page. some good deals there

mtbr member
    I watched Craigslist like a hawk and found a '98 GT Avalanche w XT driveline, good wheels and solid fork, grabbed it for CHEAP, bc it looked like @ss, scoured local bike shops for used component deals, now riding XTR or better drivetrain, Titanium RS SL fork, etc, all for under $600 plus my time - DIY will get you the best ROI everytime.

#ballinonabudget

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Try to find a used rockhopper in good shape. If you have enough money left over you can see about a decent used fork. Sids and Reba's are selling new for dirt cheap so should be driving down the cost of used ones. These are great platforms to start on and even keep for upgrades.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    Cant beat the airborne Guardian for $675 shipped. just cant!
    Sure but my friend would get it stuck on customs for sure... then he would end up paying a shitload more...