Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Quiet Professional

Can you look over this custom reign x build parts?

So i am planning my giant reign x build and would like opinions of the parts. Will be shopping around to find better deal than what is listed and if they release a 27.5 reign x i will change a bit of it.
    TEM DESCRIPTION EACH QTY TOTAL

Giant reign x frame 1750.00

Fox 2013 36 TALAS 160 RC2 BLACK 20QR Tapered $1,065.00 1 $1,065.00

Easton Havoc Stem 2011 - 1 1/8" Steerer - Black - 65mm $74.99 1 $74.99

Easton Havoc Carbon Handlebar $150.00 1 $150.00

ODI Lock-On Rogue Grips Bonus Pack - Black/Blue $19.99 1 $19.99

Shimano Saint M820 Disc Brake & Lever Kit - Front $300.00 1 $300.00

Shimano Saint M820 Disc Brake & Lever Kit - Rear $300.00 1 $300.00

Shimano XT-M785 RT86L 6 Bolt IS Disc Rotor 203mm $54.95 2 $109.90

Shimano SM-MA-F203 P/P Disc Brake Adapter $11.95 2 $23.90

Chris King GXP-Type Ceramic Road Bottom Bracket - Navy $225.00 1 $225.00

SRAM XO 2x10spd Trigger Shifters 2011 - Black/Blue $267.00 1 $267.00

Jagwire Ripcord Derailleur Cable DIY Kit - Black $25.99 1 $25.99

Jagwire Cable End Cap Hop-Up Kits -Blue $13.95 1 $13.95

Truvativ X.0 GXP Carbon Crankset 2x10spd - 28-42t (120/80 BCD) -Black/Blue - 175mm $444.00 1 $444.00

MRP 2x Dual Ring Chainguide 39-42t -ISCG - Black $122.50 1 $122.50

Twenty6 Predator Pedal Titanium -Blue $269.99 1 $269.99

SRAM PC1091R 10spd Hollow Pin Chain $84.00 1 $84.00

SRAM PG-1070 10spd Cassette - 12-36t $107.00 1 $107.00

Kind Shock LEV 125mm Drop Remote-Adjust Seatpost - 30.9mm $349.00 1 $349.00

WTB Pure V Race Saddle - Black $39.99 1 $39.99

Hope Pro 2 EVO 12x142mm Thru-Axle Rear Disc Hub - Blue - 32 hole $225.00 1 $225.00

Hope Pro 2 EVO 20mm TA Front Disc Hub - Blue - 32 hole $99.95 1 $99.95

Hope Seatpost Clamp Bolt-On 2009 -Blue - 34.9mm $29.99 1 $29.99

Stan's No Tubes ZTR Flow 26" Disc Rim $79.99 2 $159.98

Stan's No Tubes Standard/UST Tubeless System $59.99 1 $59.99

Schwalbe Hans Dampf TL-Ready Tire, 26 x 2.35" Pacestar $69.95 2 $139.90

DT Competition Spokes Black Box of 72 - 256mm. 75.00

Xo fd and rd 350.00

Total around 6900.00
    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Last edited by chef7734; 05-13-2013 at 02:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It looks like you have about the most bad-ass build as you can so I cant recommend anything different. Maybe you want to run a 180mm brake rotor in the rear though? Helps balance the braking a bit

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Aside from the 10spd drivetrain, that build is very similar to my Reign build (not x). I run two sets of wheels (set 1 - Charger PRO with Hans D, set 2 Hope of I23/Flow with Muddy Mary). Set 2 is heavier and doesn't roll as well but better traction and stronger)

What is the stock shock. Never been a fan of the RP3 or RP23 I have used on the Reign, like the Monarch RC3 Plus or Vector HLR much better. (CCDB would be nice too).

If I was to run a Talas on the Reign X, it would be a Talas 180 not the 160.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Not bad for a budget build. You can always upgrade later.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Quiet Professional

Re: Can you look over this custom reign x build parts?

Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Aside from the 10spd drivetrain, that build is very similar to my Reign build (not x). I run two sets of wheels (set 1 - Charger PRO with Hans D, set 2 Hope of I23/Flow with Muddy Mary). Set 2 is heavier and doesn't roll as well but better traction and stronger)

What is the stock shock. Never been a fan of the RP3 or RP23 I have used on the Reign, like the Monarch RC3 Plus or Vector HLR much better. (CCDB would be nice too).

If I was to run a Talas on the Reign X, it would be a Talas 180 not the 160.
    It comes with fox dhx 5.0 air. I think i would rather have a float than a talas. Not sure i would use the adjustable travel.

Huffy Rider
    I ride a Reign and will give my 2 cents. Get rid of the Talas. Run anything else. Personally, I would run a X-Fusion Vengeance on the Reign X. Also, if it comes with a rp-23 or the like, throw it in the trash and at the very least run a Monarch Plus. A HLR would pair nicely with the Vengeance tho. You are building a very nice full suspension bike, don't skimp on the suspension parts.

Brenda

mtbr member
    Problem Solvers now makes adapters so you can attach the Sram shifters to your Shimano brake lever. Add those to the list!

Problem Solvers

As far as what you've picked out, all I have to say is

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    all I want to know is where do you work, because I want to work there too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quite a badass build kit, its very similar to mine, it will be a great ride. The saints w/ Icetechs are probably the one thing I love the most on my bike.

My question is why a reign x?
    For the same money you could get many boutique bike frames that are more capable.
    If you love the maestro, pivot and ibis' dw suspension is very similar but is, to me at least, a better ride.
    My last bike was a giant and I absolutely loved it but everyone had one.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Q: only bike, or an addition to others? Meant to be a do-it-all? Or more for bigger days? What sort of terrain and trails? No urge for single ring? Hell, if spending that kind of dough, you could do an XX1 setup easily, and still rung it with a chainguide. Get the gear range you want, have light weight, only a rear shifter...

I'm running my RX with a 180mm fork and a -1* Works components headset, 30x11-36 drivetrain, Reverb, and two wheelsets. The trail/light setup and the going to the lifts with DH tires on wheels.

It's a fabulous bike, but even in the lighter configuration, I'd not want it as my only ride.

If I could have only ONE bike, something like a regular Reign with a 7" fork, air suspension, dropper post, and two wheelsets
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    Quite a badass build kit, its very similar to mine, it will be a great ride. The saints w/ Icetechs are probably the one thing I love the most on my bike.

My question is why a reign x?
    For the same money you could get many boutique bike frames that are more capable.
    If you love the maestro, pivot and ibis' dw suspension is very similar but is, to me at least, a better ride.
    My last bike was a giant and I absolutely loved it but everyone had one.
    Reason for the giant reign x is the lifetime warranty on the frame. I love giant since my 2003 giant ac2 and my current 2011 giant reign 2. I am planning on trading my reign 2 for a bike for my wife and building the reign x. When I move back to NC I will probably be getting a Glory also so I can enjoy more dh and lift access and use the reign as the am bike.

I looked at the firebird and chilcotin and builds would be just a little more specd the same.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Beware the ISCG Tabs are clocked a little funny on this bike. Saints may be over kill, not sure how much you weigh.

I loved my Reign X after slacking it out a bit, but it always left me wanting a little more when it came to climbing. This was even after I got it down to 31 LBS. My current ride has 165mm and climbs 10 times better while still killing it going down.
    Whats this line for?

Quiet Professional

Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Beware the ISCG Tabs are clocked a little funny on this bike. Saints may be over kill, not sure how much you weigh.

I loved my Reign X after slacking it out a bit, but it always left me wanting a little more when it came to climbing. This was even after I got it down to 31 LBS. My current ride has 165mm and climbs 10 times better while still killing it going down.
    I am currently running zee brakes with 203 rotors. I am a pretty heavy guy but working on loosing weight. My zees work well but wanted adjustability of the saints.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Makes sense.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Can you look over this custom reign x build parts?

Don't get the talas. If you really want travel adjustability, get a lyrik. Or just get a lyrik, even if you don't want the adjustability.

I had a 36 talas on my enduro and hated it. By far the worst air sprung fork I've felt. Since then, I have a lyrik rc2 DH with a coil u-turn in it, and it's by far the sickest fork out there for aggressive AM riding.

IMO, I would not put saints on- that's a whole lot of brake... I would do XT's.

mtbr member
    How soon do you plan on buying a glory? If this was going to be your only bike, it would be a great build and make lots of sense. But you are going to have a downhill bike relatively soon (I'm guessing), I personally would buy a lighter 125-160mm bike so you have a nice trail bike and then a DH rig, but that's just me.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Quiet Professional

Quote Originally Posted by kirklanddownhill View Post
    Don't get the talas. If you really want travel adjustability, get a lyrik. Or just get a lyrik, even if you don't want the adjustability.

I had a 36 talas on my enduro and hated it. By far the worst air sprung fork I've felt. Since then, I have a lyrik rc2 DH with a coil u-turn in it, and it's by far the sickest fork out there for aggressive AM riding.

IMO, I would not put saints on- that's a whole lot of brake... I would do XT's.
    Its no different from the zees i am running now on my reign 2. I have thought about swaping the fork for a rs or x fusion as well as the shoxk.

Huffy Rider
    [QUOTE=chef7734;10392291] I have thought about swaping the fork for a rs or x fusion as well as the shoxk.

Now you're getting somewhere!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Killer build plan...I love the reign X. Saint brakes may be a little overkill. I think the slx or XT brakes would be perfect and save you a good amount of money. Also agree with a 180mm rear rotor. The ice tech pads/rotors feel like you can size down without any compromise. If your already investing the money, maybe look into xx1? I doubt it would cost much more, if any at all, and gives you a very nice gear range...plus you can swap front rings quickly to further fine tune. I wasn't a believer on xx1 till I finally demoed one...it's impressive and keeps things simple.

Either way, sounds like your gonna have an incredible bike regardless of the exact component spec. Look forward to hearing more about the build. Cheers.

Quiet Professional

Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    How soon do you plan on buying a glory? If this was going to be your only bike, it would be a great build and make lots of sense. But you are going to have a downhill bike relatively soon (I'm guessing), I personally would buy a lighter 125-160mm bike so you have a nice trail bike and then a DH rig, but that's just me.
    Probably be a year or 2 before i get a glory.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a few areas of concern.

1) Ceramic BBs belong on road bikes and weight weenie XC bikes. The problem with ceramic bearings is that they don't handle impact loads as well as steel ones, and an AM bike is going to take a hell of a lot of impacts. Stick with a steel King BB.

2) PC-1091R is a road chain with weight weenie cutouts, it's weaker and clogs up with crap easier than a PC-1090. Personally I'm not a fan of SRAM chains anymore, I'd rather use the KMC X10-Ti or X10.93.

3) Downsize the rear rotor to a 180mm unless you're planning to run DH tires. A 200mm on the rear with Saints is way more brake than a Schwalbe HD can handle.

4) This is more a preference than a concern. Though many people love them, I've generally not had much fun with Stan's rims. I'd rather go with the WTB i23, similar to the Flow, but builds up nicer and seems to hold up better going by the wheels I've built for others. I liked it enough that I built a set for myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Probably be a year or 2 before i get a glory.

Ah, makes sense then. It's a nice, burly build
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Maybe you want to run a 180mm brake rotor in the rear though? Helps balance the braking a bit

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I have a few areas of concern.

1) Ceramic BBs belong on road bikes and weight weenie XC bikes. The problem with ceramic bearings is that they don't handle impact loads as well as steel ones, and an AM bike is going to take a hell of a lot of impacts. Stick with a steel King BB.

2) PC-1091R is a road chain with weight weenie cutouts, it's weaker and clogs up with crap easier than a PC-1090. Personally I'm not a fan of SRAM chains anymore, I'd rather use the KMC X10-Ti or X10.93.

3) Downsize the rear rotor to a 180mm unless you're planning to run DH tires. A 200mm on the rear with Saints is way more brake than a Schwalbe HD can handle.

4) This is more a preference than a concern. Though many people love them, I've generally not had much fun with Stan's rims. I'd rather go with the WTB i23, similar to the Flow, but builds up nicer and seems to hold up better going by the wheels I've built for others. I liked it enough that I built a set for myself.
    I will change out the ceramic bb for a steal one. I am used to ceramic on inline skates so that is what I chose, but want more durability.

The chain is no big deal I can switch it out for a sturdier one.

I am open for rims and will check out the wtb and open to other suggestions as far as rims go. I am still not sure about the noise the hubs make, but want a blue hub to match the frame.

I will look into the 180 rear, but as I stated before I am running 203 in the rear right now with my zees and Nevegal . I can always buy both rotors and adapters and see which I like better and put whichever other on my wife's bike or sell it. I am running

I am not a weight weenie but would like to get close to 30-33lbs if possible.

I am not sure about xx or xx1. Not sure I like the idea of a 1x10.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'd second the idea that the saints may be overkill. I have SLX on my reign x and they are more than adequate.

I'd probably make sure to get a clutch derailleur and maybe better hubs if I was dropping that kind of coin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast