mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Can Session 7 be made into AM rig?

I can get a sweet deal with a Session 7 frame. I am a clyde weighing in at 265 and im 6'. I want an all around bike that would be great for my weight on the downhills but easily pedals back up. I know the geo is very slack for AM but I was just wondering if 7'' of rear travel is too much for XC/AM/light freeride for someone of my weight?

Thanks!

Flying Goat
    it would be perfect imo... just gotta have a look at the build... Whats your budget like???

I'm thinking Fox36, Azonic Outlaws, Protapers, Saint cranks, Formula Oro, etc...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    currently on my hardtail i have saint cranks, eggbeaters(upgrading to mallets), juicy 7's, would buy a zocchi 55 or 66 or Fox Float 36. What do ya think??

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    WHen my friend tore his 77 down to sell as a frame we weighed it. With the Swinger installed his med frame weighed 12.5 pounds. If you're not in any rush on climbs of on the flats you'll have fun, but it is a beast believe me. I have a Kingfisher, much better trailbike feel(geometry) compared to the sessions, but lordy, it is a mofo to trail ride, granted I have a freeride setup on it, but, still I don't think that taking 4-5 pounds off of it would really change my mind. If you did go for it, It would be the burliest AM bike, but you'll probably end up overriding the AM parts(if you go that route), because those 7's love to plow on the way down, freight trains when pointed down

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    See if you locate a Remedy frame, if you want a Trek, the Transition bikes Preston would be a Killer AM, and significantly lighter than the 77.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was also looking at the transition covert. Price is nice and welds look burly.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Based on what I read from your intiat post, I would def pursue the Preston over the Covert. The covert would work I think. But the Preston would be more well rounded for your expectations and dimensions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok I dropped the idea of the trek...too much travel. Yeah, the Preston looks good. Will this pedal me to the top of the mountain? I will be doing 1,500 ft of climbing on my rides. Basically its either a Preston w/ DHX coil 5 or SC Heckler w/ DHX coil 5.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    I have no exp on the Heckler, looks like a great bike though, and limited exp on the Preston. Both will get up the mt faster than the trek( I know, moot point now), I would say based on angles, the SC would do it quicker, but not by much. I personally( I am a Clyde too) would like the peace of mind knowing that the Preston would be up for more challenges, and consistent abuse over the Heckler. The service from Transition is phenonminal and quick, cannot speak from exp with SC, but it is a big popular co. that puts out some great products. I would place the Covert in the same catagory as the Heckler, "TOUGH trailbike/AM", sounds like you want more from your bike, that is why I am thinking Preston. If you want SC, go for the nomad. The bullit is on the FR geo and and the nomad is on the AM geo, but would trust my life with either. Go preston, plenty o' travel, ample strength, relativly light. You really should call transition bikes and talk to them, I am sure they could shed more light on things, and maybe make some more suggestions.

maker of trail
    I don't understand how you could have "too much" travel, really 7" is only an inch more than 6" (odd that...).

Either way I have a session 77 and love it... it certainly would not be considered "all mountain" by any means, but I think if you're building the bike from the frame up you could make it one.

Pedaling is not too bad, it only bobs if stand and mash on it.

Plus the frame is near bullet proof so if you're on the heavy end of the scale then it should stand up to some abuse if you go jumping off your house or something.

Note also the rear drop outs are adjustable (at least on my bike) and you can thus change the bike to be more slack for DH/FR or a little steeper for more clearance and faster handling.

squish is good
    Maybe look into a Nomad or a Reign X. You still get a ton of travel but their gonna be alot lighter weight than a session. I'm riding a Reign right now but a Reign X frame is on my christmas list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I currenty ride a Heckler and a Session 77. The Heckler actually performed some "light" freeriding very well with a burly build. I got the Session and then built the Heckler into a 29lb trail killer. The session is definitely not an AM bike...my mostly stock build with all top end bonty parts as well as XO and running tubeless still weighs 43lbs. That being said I did kill a week in Moab and rode porcupine rim twice on it and had a blast...of course I had to stop at every jump and drop I could find!! I can definitely recommend the Heckler for sturdy AM build. I am throwing around the idea of the new Trek Remedy...sub 30lb bike with fox 36....wow!