mtbr member
    May 2009

Can the Ibex Ignition Super handle jumps?

Website says the frame has just under 5 inches of travel. I know the Ignition Super can handle good, technical terrain, but can it withstand jumps and ledges up to three feet and beyond? I weigh 150 lbs.

I'm really feelin this bike.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by 99em1
    I'm really feelin this bike.
    Why? Is it the 3.33:1 leverage ratio?
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Precisely.

banned
    The website says a lot of stuff. So do the owners.

It could always withstand one or two, like the people who post "I did one jump on it and it didn't explode, so I'd say yeah!".

It's a matter of how long you're looking to do this for, repeatedly, your technique, etc.

squish is good
    I know a guy who sessions our crazy ass 3 foot jumps with a Spesh FSRXC. I think that would be a better "All Mountain" bike than the Iggy.
    Bike good, work bad.

banned
    Haha, you said "Iggy"

For three footers, I'd use the 4-1 rule. Divide the drop by 4 and then you have how much travel you need. In this case, 36"/4=9" However, that would be a DH or extreme hucker, so I'd go for 7'

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Haha, you said "Iggy"

For three footers, I'd use the 4-1 rule. Divide the drop by 4 and then you have how much travel you need. In this case, 36"/4=9" However, that would be a DH or extreme hucker, so I'd go for 7'
    Thats a liberal calculation you're using there. I think we should urge the OP to utilize a flack jacket and a Full face helmet so he doesn't get in over his head with his crazy jumps.

OP - please note there is a tad of sarcasm going on in this thread
    Bike good, work bad.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Thats a liberal calculation you're using there. I think we should urge the OP to utilize a flack jacket and a Full face helmet so he doesn't get in over his head with his crazy jumps.

OP - please note there is a tad of sarcasm going on in this thread
    I hope you get the flesh eating bacteria about your AHNOOSE

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    that thing really has a 3.3:1 shock ratio?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah I'm a bit new to this if it isn't already egregiously apparent. Not a huge jump guy, but I want to know when I'm hitting trails that the bike can handle drops and ledges that may come my way.

Whats the problem then, the shocks, frame or both?

squish is good
    It should be able to handle small jumps and drops (3 feet is pretty small). Ibex is a budget brand and has a bit of a bad rep on this website for a number of reasons. The frames are decent, whether or not they are as high in quality as others is up for debate. An ignition would make a good entry level trail frame but it's not gonna be a high end bike in terms of performance. The rear suspension uses a leverage ratio that is higher than other frames and that may result in harsh damping.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hmm not sure why your getting flamed either lol. The general feedback from ibex owners has been positive from what Ive read. The tora is a great shock for the price, I have no idea about the rear shock though.

A 3ft drop I would consider normal XC and this bike would take it just fine. If you started consistently going much bigger you might beat up this bike pretty good.

If your really think that you will be consistently hitting bigger stuff consistently you might want a beefier bike. The Felt redemption 3 is on sale at bicycle warehouse for 1299.99 with free shipping, pretty good deal. This bike could take anything you threw at it, but at 35lbs would not be fun to climb.

Actually you could get a pretty good deal on an 07, 08 bike now, http://wheelworld.com/itemlist.cfm?category=117

Kona dawg for 1300, coilar 1300, spec pitch for 1400..... great deals, this site wont sell bikes over the net, but it gives you a reference for what you could get now. I would say any of the bikes above would be much nicer than the Ibex imho.

Good luck!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    There is a reason most (pretty much all) 5" travel bikes us 2" or up stroke shocks these days. I'm suprised anyone still makes 6.5x1.5 shocks. High leverqage ratios like that eat up shocks and put higher loads on the frame. It's just a bad design.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    There is a reason most (pretty much all) 5" travel bikes us 2" or up stroke shocks these days. I'm suprised anyone still makes 6.5x1.5 shocks. High leverqage ratios like that eat up shocks and put higher loads on the frame. It's just a bad design.
    Those sized shocks get used on shorter travel XC frames.

And yep, high leverage designs can eat shocks, and can lead to short frame lives. One of the biggest problems, which some in the demographic may not be seasoned enough to realize, is that shocks are tuned to work for certain leverage ranges. This is why several manufacturers can do the low 2:1 range, but they don't believe the available stock shock tuning will be optimal, and lead to overdamping, for instance. This is why many manufacturers still hover between 2.5 to 2.7 or so.

knock-knock...
    acme i like your sig.

Remember the class where I taught you all how to make it rain? That’s what I’ll be doin every night, dollar…dollar…bills y’all.
    -kenny powers

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Those sized shocks get used on shorter travel XC frames.
    I know, I was trying to make a point.

Yeah I was in rehab.... rehab for my nose - Kenny Powers. Can't wait for season 2.

uhhhhhyea
    Can't really comment on the ignition, but the Atlas comes in at 5" of travel and I've been hitting 3 footers to flat for a while now, as a 205-210 rider. I haven't hit any hard landings yet, that I think is key. Also I built from frame up, so i'm not using any of the same components as Ibex, just as a disclaimer. I am somewhat suspicious of the distance / 4 rule; unless you add a coefficient for rider weight, it's kind of ignoring huge discrepancies in the forces involved.

gnuH
    A whole bunch of Ignitions failed at the seat tube, that IMO was due to the high leverage ratio over-stressing the frame below the rocker mount.

The 09 Ignition has a beefed up seat tube to counter this issue.