Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    boom boom boooom

Can i use 170mm fork on Trek Bruiser 1 ?

or Specialized Hardrock .... both ~ 2007 model

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Definitely not on the Hardrock.

boom boom boooom
    how can you tell ? and how safe is it on the Bruiser ? what can go wrong with the wrong fork ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No.

OE Fork travel for the Spec. is 100mm
    OE Fork travel for the Trek is 120mm

A 170mm travel fork would put too much leverage on the headtube on both of those frames. The frame would fail at the headtube/downtube area.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    You'll be able to tell when the head tube snaps off and you eat your wheel.

The extra leverage, as mentioned, is bad news bears.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    And it would handle like crap anyways.

boom boom boooom
    .... should i put the 170mm on the Bruiser 1 ?

boom boom boooom
    can i put a 140mm fork on the Bruiser ?

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    120mm to 140mm won't be as much of a stretch, but what's your intention anyways as far as the bike is concerned? Putting a long travel fork on a DJ hardtail seems counter productive.

A Mountainside=My Therapy
    I went from an 80 mm to a 140 mm on a trek and have beat the crap out of it with no problems. Just my .02

boom boom boooom
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin
    120mm to 140mm won't be as much of a stretch, but what's your intention anyways as far as the bike is concerned? Putting a long travel fork on a DJ hardtail seems counter productive.
    the stock fork bottoms out on small jumps, i am a big guy (98kg) ... i like to hop/jump my bike on the trails i ride

you may want to think of getting a coil sprung shock. They can take bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaos42
    the stock fork bottoms out on small jumps, i am a big guy (98kg) ... i like to hop/jump my bike on the trails i ride
    That means you need a stiffer spring, not a longer travel fork.

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Is this your bike?
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...er+1&Type=bike

If so, I would not buy a new fork, and I definitely would not add a longer travel fork to it.
    A decent new fork will run you in the $250-500 range. If you look around (craigslist, ebay. etc), you could probably find a used hardtail with a decent fork already on it for that money.

boom boom boooom
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    Is this your bike?
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...er+1&Type=bike

If so, I would not buy a new fork, and I definitely would not add a longer travel fork to it.
    A decent new fork will run you in the $250-500 range. If you look around (craigslist, ebay. etc), you could probably find a used hardtail with a decent fork already on it for that money.
    Yeah, that is the bike ... i bought two forks (i have two bikes) a 100-140mm RockShok Dual Air 409 and a 170mm Manitou Spice ( i think ) waiting for them, i got them at bargain prices 40-160$ each. Though it would be a nice upgrade for the stock forks.

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    The dual air is ok, I would not put a 170mm fork on that bike though.]

I guess I would max at 150mm for your bike.

boom boom boooom
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    The dual air is ok, I would not put a 170mm fork on that bike though.]
    What is a good dollar/value full suspension frame that can house this fork ?

Where can i get springs for my weight ( 98kg ) for 170mm Manitou Spice ?

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    I think the fork is a Splice, not a Spice?
    Not sure where to get the springs. As for a full suspension frame, just look for a frame that has at least 150 or 160mm of rear travel. Which one is going to depend on what you can find near you.

mtbr member
    The best bang for the buck frames that will be built for a 170mm travel fork would probably be kona stinkys and a few other kona frames, but those are going to be getting into a more freeride category... They can be had for a few hundred dollars though, just make sure you know what you're getting and avoid former-rental frames.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoMtb20
    I guess I would max at 150mm for your bike.
    Still wayyyy too much travel. The bike was NOT designed around it, both geometry-wise and structurally.

Again I put a 140 mm on a bike that came with an 80 mm and have had zero issues. Just talking from my experience.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'm speaking from the Hardrock end of things. I've never ridden a Trek Bruiser, so I'm not that familiar with it. I do have a 2005 Hardrock, which I have built up in various configurations from 27 to 32lbs. The 05 is a pretty burly frame, especially compared to the newer ones. The most I've put on that frame is 120mm. I wouldn't go more than 130mm. If I put a 150mm fork on that frame, I'm sure I would have broken it by now, and it probably would have ridden like crap. The head angle would be 67.5 and the seat angle 70.5. That might sound good, but the wheelbase would also be an inch longer and the top tube would grow as well. I figured it out using this calculator: http://bikegeo.muha.cc/

Plus, when you go from 470mm a2c (typical 100mm fork) to 520 a2c (150mm Fox float), you're talking about a 10% increase in a2c height which translates to much more leverage on the head tube than stock. A 170mm fork is super long, most likely around 555mm axle to crown. Over 3" taller than 100-120mm fork.

Some might be able to get away with running longer forks, but it's not a good idea in general, especially for someone who hits jumps and drops. At one point I ran a 130mm fork on my 05 Stumpjumper and I was paranoid every time my wheels left the ground. As mentioned before, the key isn't always travel, it's setting up your suspension right (spring rates, rebound, etc.). If you're bottoming too much, then you may need a stiffer spring or more air pressure. If the geo isn't right and you're still bottoming, then it may be time to start shopping for a new bike.

My $.02
    Last edited by Berkley; 03-03-2010 at 11:17 PM.

boom boom boooom
    could i than take the stock shocks and upgrade them with better springs / internals ?

where do i get upgraded springs for the sotck Specialized HardRock and Trek Bruiser socks ?

i do not even know what they are ... i took off all the stickers i could when i get my bikes.

GAME ON!
    a splice is not 170mm, it is 130mm and it is garbage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast