mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Can I install a Fox talas 36 tapered steer tube on my Kona 2005 Dawg Dee-lux ?

PLEASE HELP

So I bought this 2010 Fox Talas 36 w/ a tapered steer tube from 1 1/2" down to 1 1/8".
    My question is will this work on my 2005 Kona Dawg Dee-lux?
    Here is the info I have. I am not a very techy, and am conflicted on what to do.

I have the L or 18" bike
    - 2005 Dawg Deelux

http://www.konaworld.com/docs/2K5_Catalog_FINAL_p56-57.jpg

This is the fork I bought:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/files/2010/04/talas_adjusts-720x540.jpg

discussions on this topic
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=140203

What led me to call cane creek
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-18in-head-tubes-25275/1

I really donít want to spend $225 for a whole new crown and steer tube assembly from Fox, not to mention the labor cost to have it put on and re-built. The whole point in buying the used Fork was to save me on costs, now with it looking like it wonít fit, I may be only 200 bucks short of how much a brand new fork would cost, because of costs in having to swap out crown and steer tube assemblies.

I hear that there are ways around this, via head set assembly adaptor kits, etcetera. I called crown creek (CSR's have been wrong before) but the dude I talked to seemed to know what he was talking about, and said no, that I need a straight 1 1/8" steer tube to work with my Mt. Bike, and that there is nothing I can do but swap out steer tube assemblies.

Any input or help is greatly appreciated. It seems like technology is moving so fast I canít ever keep up! Such a newb....>>

Mahalo for your help

Nick

mtbr member
    I'd like to see the results of this, considering my friend has a fox float 150mm 32 tapered HT he would give me and my transam is straight thru 1 1/8.

usually cranky
    at the minimum to fit a tapered steerer you would need a 44mm head tube. your bike has a 1 1/8 head tube. it will not work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks B-kull. yeah bummer. well at least the fork I bought is practically mint condition. Should of done my research first. Well, even with an new upper assembly + labor Im still sitting at 750-$800 after its all said and done. So stilll about $300 cheaper than just buyig a brand new one, and after its built it will pretty much be like having a brand spanking new one anyway!

Lesson learned: reasearch your bike before buying parts just because its a "good deal"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not certain, but I thought there were lower headset cups the push the bearing below the bottom of the head tube. This would create additional stack height which would require the steerer tube on the fork to be long enough. Check out Cane Creek or Works Compenents for what they have to offer.