Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Can I hit that!? Giant Trance x1

Hey everyone, so I got my new bike now, it's a Giant Trance X1 2013, and me and my friends spotted a cool drop-off at my local trails wich is about 4-5 feets tall and the landing is almost flat, can I hit it? Not just once but on a regular basis do you think my bike would hold up? If anybody could help that would be great, thanks! It's 140mm too, and I included some photos of a similar drop

Can I hit that!? Giant Trance x1-5725868280_b6a5362bd0_z.jpgCan I hit that!? Giant Trance x1-maxresdefault.jpg
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I really have nothing to add as far as yes or no. Though, being a Clydesdale whom has researched alot.

I am looking at getting a Trance 27.5, most likely the sx version. Not wanting to steal post. :-)

I would like to know from all how that/your rig handles those size drops. I am midwest with some trips to BC and NY. And I am interested in the results of your (their) rides.

I will be watching this along with some other posts, so please all, OP included, post on opinions and ride reports.

Beautiful trails by the way.

mtbr member
    Try it, if it feels harsh or damaging don't do it again. As long as your suspension is set up correctly and your wheels aren't paper thin, you should be fine. Bikes these days are built very strong, usually able to take way more than we can dish out.

mtbr member
    Sure, you'll be fine. Well, the bike will be fine ... how you fare depends on you!

Good luck.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    How much do you weight? I have a Fuel Ex with 130mm front and back and I wouldn't try it.

Let the bikes in!
    I'd hit those drops on my 4 in hardtail. Only way to really find out if ur bike can take the hit!

mtbr member
    thanks guys, I weight 110 geared, and I saw 3 kids hitting it with dirt jumps, one of them got a flat thought :P

The Fastest of Bananas
    It'll handle it fine, unless you are a super clyde. Normally skill is the limiting factor, not the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Who Needs A Car View Post
    I really have nothing to add as far as yes or no. Though, being a Clydesdale whom has researched alot.

I am looking at getting a Trance 27.5, most likely the sx version. Not wanting to steal post. :-)

I would like to know from all how that/your rig handles those size drops. I am midwest with some trips to BC and NY. And I am interested in the results of your (their) rides.

I will be watching this along with some other posts, so please all, OP included, post on opinions and ride reports.

Beautiful trails by the way.
    Hey, I never tested the 2014 Trance, but someone at my lbs did and he said they really felt better than the 2013 versions, all thought he didn't really like the feel of the SX. If you want a bike that can climb and bomb downhill the Trance X is really a great bike for that. I've done some jumps and drops and it handles pretty well everything

mtbr member
    Can you jump over Fab Barel? If yes 4 sure the bike can handle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    can you jump over fab barel? If yes 4 sure the bike can handle
    wut?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The guy in second picture is F. Barel. If you don't know him quit mountain biking immediately ! So based on that the second drop is almost his height which is around 6 feet. If you have the guts to jump this then some guys here believe that the bicycle will handle it. Personally I don't either have the guts to jump it or to take the risk to damage my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    The guy in second picture is F. Barel. If you don't know him quit mountain biking immediately ! So based on that the second drop is almost his height which is around 6 feet. If you have the guts to jump this then some guys here believe that the bicycle will handle it. Personally I don't either have the guts to jump it or to take the risk to damage my bike.
    I know who's fabien barel, and I would have the guts to jump it, I just don't want my bike to be damaged

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I would start from smaller drops and then move up. If however you don't usually take such drops and this is an once off try, then I wouldn't risk my bicycle jusf to try. But this is just me with my limited skills.

mtbr member
    I actually did all the other 2-3 feets drops and the only bigger drop is this one, this is why I don't know if I will hit it

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've done drops to flat like that on my 2011 trance no problem. I weigh 220# and would hit a 6-8ft drop at santos all the time but those have nice sloped down ramps. My drop to flats I tried to limit to 4-5 ft

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    thanks guys, I weight 110 geared, and I saw 3 kids hitting it with dirt jumps, one of them got a flat thought :P
    If that's 110 pounds you can hit that drop all day every day with no worries unless you land like a sack of bricks. If it's 110 kg then you probably don't want to do it every day unless you're a pretty smooth rider.

mtbr member
    it's 110 pounds :P

Fox Shox
    Mate, of course you can hit it! I got a 2011 trance x2 with 125 mm of suspension and I hit that kind of stuff heaps, and as long as you are smooth your fine. I am 110 pounds too so you'll be fine
    If i go to hell i'm taking my mountain bike.

mtbr member

Can I hit that!? Giant Trance x1

I ride a Blur TRc with 125mm of travel and would hit that! Looks fun! The bikes we ride can handle A LOT more than we think they can. I would say that most of us on this site are not capable of riding our bikes to their full potential. Good luck and have fun! Don't hurt yourself!
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Trail Ninja
    4-5' drops to flat are something I'd say are just beyond the comfortable limits of smaller trail bikes like your Trance.

Lets say this is a 4' drop, on 5" FS bike, one that's not exactly a featherweight (7.5 lbs frame):

It's not so much the 4-5' that does that, it's the flat landing from such a distance. You can see how my left foot in that pic isn't in the ideal position on the pedal, and how bent down the front of the shoe is, hinting how much of the force I'm left to deal with to absorb with my legs. Yes, that fork is fully bottomed out; Fox fork stroke typically leaves about 10mm between the seal and crown in my experience.

Not something I'd do on a regular basis, if I didn't want to have to deal with part replacement. What you're looking to do is hucking, and people into that stuff typically get "North Shore" bikes for that. I've witnessed an almost new Giant Reign break on something perhaps equivalent to a 1.5' drop to flat, albeit under a clyde who did something similar to a Trance. Yes, a 1.5' drop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    All depends on the landing!
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    4-5' drops to flat are something I'd say are just beyond the comfortable limits of smaller trail bikes like your Trance.

Lets say this is a 4' drop, on 5" FS bike, one that's not exactly a featherweight (7.5 lbs frame):

It's not the 4-5' that does that, it's the flat landing. You can see how my left foot in that pic isn't in the ideal position on the pedal, and how bent down the front of the shoe is, showing how much of the force I'm left to deal with to absorb with my legs.

Not something I'd do on a regular basis, if I didn't want to have to deal with part replacement. What you're looking to do is hucking, and people into that stuff typically get "North Shore" bikes for that. I've witnessed an almost new Giant Reign break on smaller drops, albeit under a clyde who did something similar to a Trance.
    A pictures worth a thousand words. However there are other factors involved that have been previously stated; suspention setup, your (light) weight, and just how flat the landing is. I say you'd probably be fine, as long as you know how to not let the suspention take all the blow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Exactly my point. Do you want to stress your bicycle like the above example? If yes do it. It won't necessary break or anything based on how smooth you ride and land but in my opinion it is something I wouldn't do on a regular basis.

mtbr member
    Did someone say drop to flat

photo 1476567_699849126706062_1049249864_n.jpg

photo 1452289_699849176706057_189372799_n-1.jpg

photo bottemout.png

drops to flat kill bikes and riders.. not the hardest moves but are very fun IMO any ways over a period of time youll flat spot rims bend pedal spindals and crack frames... and dislocate knees if your a dumb ass (like me)

photo 20131116_122329_6_zps149469bc.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast