mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Can I drop any weight off this hoss?

My bike is weighing in around 31/32 lb now. I'm no weight weenie but it'd be nce to lose some weight for the long climbs. I'm not going to list my full build as there are certain things, like my stem, that I'm not willing to spend more money on. Anyway, wheels and brakes would be two areas. Also willing to do a coil to air upgrade on the fork it it is worth it.

Salsa El Kaboing, Med 7 lb.
    Fork: Pike 454 coil u-turn
    Wheels: Mavic 719, tubes. Rear hub XT 775 CL, Front: WTB Superduty 20 TA
    Tires: f/ MK SS 2.4, r/ Captain Control 2.2
    Cassette: Sram pg 980
    Brakes: BB7, SD7 levers, Jag Rip
    Cranks: LX 581

-I had thought about converting the pike to air u-turn. Would this drop any weight?
    -I thought about moving to Hayes carbon or other reasonably priced hydro's. Worth it?
    -I though about using stans strips and as soon as I know what I'll be doing with the wheels it'll be an option. Can the MK SS's be converted with Stans? They seem pretty thin to me.
    -Is it even worth upgrading the cassette to XT or 990 when it needs it?
    -Cranks are pretty light but who knows?

Thanks for any help.

usually cranky
    imo hydros are worth it, but the only area i could really see you saving a pound or two is with a new fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    that is what I was thinking too. not really worth replacing a brand new fork to lose a pound. guess I'll just work on getting stronger and save the money.

BTW, are there any hydro's that are of good quality without spending $500 on the set? I need something strong, easy, and... did I say easy.

mtbr member
    I wouldnt try the Pike conversion. There is less than a half pound difference between the dual air model and the coil model. A new fork like a RS revalation or Fox Float would lose more weight.

The biggest place you could lose some weight would be your wheelset. Do you know how much your curent set up weighs?

If you do a lot of riding in the mountains upgrading to Hydros may be a good option. If not stick with the BB7's. If you take the time to learn how to set them up coorectly they are plenty strong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah, no real complaints with the BB7's. Just figured if I could lose a pound it'd be worth it. I doubt that could be acheived though.

I like the adjustability of the pike so I guess the weight is worth it there as well.

As for the wheels, the 719's are fairly lite rims, DB DT spokes and alloy nips. The XT CL rear hub is 410 g's with skewer. I think Hope rears would only lose about 60 g's. My WTB 20mm TA hub is also coming in pretty light at 185 g's. Wheelset should be about 1925 with the rear skewer. If I had it to over again, I'd have gone with Stan Flows and run them tubless out of the box. Hindisght being 20/20.

usually cranky
    the el koboing is %'' right? 31 pounds for a trail bike is pretty good. shimano make real good cheap hydros. you could pick up a set of slx's for around $250 if you are smart.

OSCMTB
    I have no personal experience with it, but as I understand it, you can run into problems converting coil to air. If the spring has scratched the inside of the stanchion, the air piston doesn't always seal.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    If the bike handles and feels the way you want it to, I'd not mess with the bike and focus instead on making up the difference with yourself. Otherwise the cost/benefit of trying to shed a few pounds might make the bike less fun to ride, or just lighten your wallet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah, I do like the way the bike rides. I'm not one to ride around anything unles it is above my skill level so burley is good.
    I've been riding some new trails with a ton of long climbs (long for me) so I was looking for any help I could get.

Thanks for posting, guys.

mtbr member
    I have the same issues. how to lighten a heavy bike. mine weighs in aroound 30/31 lbs.
    same equipment 7 lb frame, pike, am wheelset around 1800 grms, 8 inch xtr rotors. xt cranks, light seat and post. I also removed the Fox Coil DHX and put back the stock air shock. thats about all she wrote on weigh loss. the biggest difference for me was going back to my stock tires. weirwolf 2.3s. I had a maxxam high roller 2.5 in the front. it was like i had the brakes on all the time. now it flys on down hills and climbs good for a 31 pounder. and is still fun to ride. corners really good. My next bike will be under 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    -I had thought about converting the pike to air u-turn. Would this drop any weight?
    Yes, but if you are into upgrading - there are other, even lighter options. Revelation, Thor, new Fox.

-I thought about moving to Hayes carbon or other reasonably priced hydro's. Worth it?
    Best performance for the buck, IMO - SLX. You do not need to use heavy Shimano disks with them - any other disk will work fine. But BB7 are a very decent brake set. I would not have bothered.

-I though about using stans strips and as soon as I know what I'll be doing with the wheels it'll be an option. Can the MK SS's be converted with Stans? They seem pretty thin to me.
    I would not bother, if your current setup works for you. You upgrade for running lower pressure and getting less thron flats, not really for weight savings.

But using yellow tape instead of regular spoke tape can save you an ounce for cheap.

-Is it even worth upgrading the cassette to XT or 990 when it needs it?
    XT is best price/weight/performance - if you shop around.

-Cranks are pretty light but who knows?
    Did you consider 1x9? Some MRP guide, maybe 34 ring - maybe 11-36 10sp speed XT cassette and shifter?

Get a bolt-on skewer for the rear (30g off, stiffer), check your pedals options (could be a 100g right there).

Couple pounds off will not make or break your day on a climb - just save you a few minutes. Personally, I do not bother for anything but for a couple bike I race(d) - just cheaper fixes that still perform.
    Last edited by Broccoli; 10-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Don't replace the 980 cassette with anything else. It will only save a few grams (last time I checked the 990 cassette was 5 grams lighter than a 980) . Not worth it when you consider $$ per gram.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah, not really worth spending more on a cassette. I'd never upgrade until this one needs replaced anyway.

just going to deal with this bike as is and lighten the next rig by going carbon!!!

I will be adding stans though. Have tubeless on my other bike and like it a lot.

biking is fun
    As others have said, fork and brakes would be the best way to go. The brakes would also increase performance.

Buying used is always a good way to go if you want nice stuff for a lower price.

The cassette is light enough. I have two 980's and two 990's and the weight difference is less than 10g.

XT or SLX cranks would probably drop some weight as well.

Are you riding clipless or flats? If flats then Wellgo mg-1's can be had for $30 off ebay and typically drop 1/4lb off a bike (if you are using older style pedals)

Stans strips with the goo will come pretty close to the same weight as lightweight tubes.

I do happen to have a 150mm U turn revelation and Elixir CR mag brakes just sitting here needing a good home They would easily drop 2 or so pounds off your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    The cassette is light enough. I have two 980's and two 990's and the weight difference is less than 10g.

XT or SLX cranks would probably drop some weight as well.
    XT cassette (9sp) is about 22g lighter (and shifts better IMO) - but certainly not worth getting before the old is worn out.

SLX triple cranks - if you replace steel granny with aluminum from XT are pretty much the same weight, and can be had for cheap. Then again - I would only get them if going for the new 24-32-42 10sp compatible triple...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    XT cassette (9sp) is about 22g lighter (and shifts better IMO) - but certainly not worth getting before the old is worn out.

SLX triple cranks - if you replace steel granny with aluminum from XT are pretty much the same weight, and can be had for cheap. Then again - I would only get them if going for the new 24-32-42 10sp compatible triple...
    Agreed. I don't, and wouldn't, upgrade parts for weight drop alone. I would move to a new part if it was something that would change the ride. Hydro's for example.

I am also entertaining moving from a 170 crank to 175's and that would be the only reason I'd make that jump.