mtbr member

Can air fork pair with coil shock?

I was thinking of getting RC4, but my nomad is running on Talas36. Should I get DHX air instead? Thanks.

ZEN RIDER!
    Air forks have come along way so i wouldn't sweat it. If it was reverse I might say stick with one or the other - rear suspension being more subtle & relying on spring rates more than your fork.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    I have DHX RC4 coil on my bike and a 36 float 160 rlc fit on the front. Went with the Float because i hear the talas doesn't work as well. But I have no idea.

Seems fine and saves a little weight.

Had a coil front on my old bike vanilla so it didn't have much for adjustments.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

mtbr member
    What shock are you replacing and what do you want out of the bike. If you want to save some weight go air but I think I would be looking at the new Push link for the Nomad (if you have the Nomad 2). I think the Nomad with an RC4 and the new link would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    I have DHX RC4 coil on my bike and a 36 float 160 rlc fit on the front. Went with the Float because i hear the talas doesn't work as well. But I have no idea.

Seems fine and saves a little weight.

Had a coil front on my old bike vanilla so it didn't have much for adjustments.
    My Kashima Talas is awesome. I like the fact that it can be switched to 120mm during long climb and back to 160mm on downhill. Wonder if pairing coil shock with air fork produces less favorable effect than pairing air shock and air fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    What shock are you replacing and what do you want out of the bike. If you want to save some weight go air but I think I would be looking at the new Push link for the Nomad (if you have the Nomad 2). I think the Nomad with an RC4 and the new link would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am currently running DHX Air and Talas 36 on Nomad carbon. Thought of upgrading to Kashima DHX Air or RC4. I want it to do big drop. Air or RC4?

addict
    I am running a RC4 with Ti coil and 36 Float on my Nomad2, great combo. Still dialing in to the sweet spot on the shock, lots of interacting adjustments, getting close. Soaks up big hits no problem. I have not tried an air shock on it, so cannot comment on the difference in performance, If weght is a concern, and you're happy with it, stick with the air. Sometimes on long climbs, my mind begins to wander and I think about shaving weight on my Nomad, once I point it down, those thoughts instantly disappear. The Push link is on my short list.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    ccdb w/steel coil and xfusion vengeance hlr been playing well together. i think the hi-lo compression adj on the fork has really helped it balance that amazing ccdb. been really impressed with the xfusion so far though!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I ride DHX coil on my Coiler with Wotan fork in front. Works great. Then, Wotan is one of the more coil like feeling air forks.

mtbr member
    ccdb rear and bos deville forks on a transition covert here, lovely combo, haven't ran the forks on anything longer than the descents at Innerleithen but they coped fine there.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

usually cranky
    it wont feel like a mismatch if that is what you mean. even if that were the case i dont see why you would settle for lesser rear suspension to match lesser front suspension.

mtbr member
    Rear shocks are more prone to fade as the oil heats up from the air seal friction. This problem is not so on most forks as the air and damper are on different sides so one does not affect the other so basically the rear shock is probably better as a coil and the fork not so obvious a difference between air and coil, although these days air shocks are really good in my opinion.

mtbr member
    The weight of DHX Air is 0.98 lbs vs RC4 0.99 lbs, not much of a difference. Base on the comments here, I think the choice is obvious - RC4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    The weight of DHX Air is 0.98 lbs vs RC4 0.99 lbs, not much of a difference. Base on the comments here, I think the choice is obvious - RC4
    That weight does not include the spring. So add at least another pound or more to that.
    Last edited by KTMDirtFace; 09-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    2011 Yeti SB-66 XL Fox Float 36, Fox DHX RC4
    Yeti SB-66 Gallery

Picture Unrelated
    Another air/coil user. Float 36 with a DHX4 rear (until I can afford a CCDB).
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    That weight does not include the spring. So add at least another pound or more to that.
    Depends on the stroke. For 2.25" 550lb-in steel is about 370g. Titanium would be about 300g. Softer springs would be significantly less.

Worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have run a few air/coil combo's over the years and find that air shocks should be left for short travel XC bikes. Air forks are a bit of a compromise but work well. Currently using a CCDB and Kashima 36 Talas RLC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have DHX 5 with the Push link, and Talas RLC on the front. Rides great, but I think I'd rather have a Float or a Bos Deville - I don't think the Talas is anywhere near as smooth as those other two.

Or a Van maybe...?