Results 1 to 97 of 97
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998

    Can’t choose: Sovereign, Stylus, BFE or TransAM

    I am planning a new build this winter as a little Xmas present to myself………because I deserve it

    Was going to get an OnOne 456 or a BluePig, but have now decided to splurge and get my dream HT frame. The only problem is that I have 4 dream HT frames and no way to test any of them.

    Evil Soverign
    Chromag Stylus
    Cotic BFE
    Transition TransAM


    My goal is to have a very fun trail bike that handles technical terrain really well, but is also very playful to handle some X-stuntry and light urban stuff. The first 3 on my list should fit the bill pretty nicely, not sure if the TransAM does. I really love the Stylus and BFE, but I think the Sovereign might be the safer bet with the adjustable chain stays. The BFE is over 1/2lb lighter than the rest of them.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    one of those is handmade in canada the rest are taiwanese frames. at least the sovereign and trans am are, not sure about the cotic. i just bought my wife a trans am. its quite nice. it was a small and trans am was blowing out last years model. the stylus gets great reviews. as does the evil. tough choice especially if you cant demo one.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    have you considered the Dialled Alpine?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    TransAm is great for anything trail - but I would think it would be a bit tall for "urban" stuff. It seems best with ~150mm fork - would not you want 100 to 120mm for tricks? I just tried riding my TransAm with Sektor u-turn cranked down to 110mm - did not like it much. Among Transition frames it would be Bank that you may want, but it ain't steel. Santa Cruz Jackal? That one should handle a U-turn fork over its whole range..

    If I was buying right now - would have got the new titanium 456.

  5. #5
    wwg
    wwg is offline
    No Class
    Reputation: wwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    one of those is handmade in canada the rest are taiwanese frames. .
    none of those frames are handmade in Canada. Chromag do offer handmade frames, but the Stylus isn't one of them.
    Q: Who's faster than me?
    A: Just about everybody, including your oldest living relative.

  6. #6
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    i can't believe you haven't bought a bike yet...


    how tall are you again?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cheezwhip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    781
    I have a BFe (it is made in Taiwan as well - but has great Geo with 853&653 ovalized tubes) and I haven't been on the AM full-susser since... That new Chromag Aperture looks neat.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    I've been looking at the same bikes almost, Cotic BFE, TransAM, and On-One 456 Summer Season. Had a 18" Blue Pig thinking I could make it fit but it turned out to be small and just dropped it off at FedEx on the way to its new owner. I'm back at square one.

    The Cotic BFE looks nice but not really feeling any of the colors (the last run with the light grey was awesome though), the Cyan is too bright, and the Gritstone with black reflective stickers in normal lighting conditions doesn't do much for me. The seat tube is also 19" and retails for $599+.

    The TransAm looks good on paper, but the horizontal droputs and reading people's comments on rear wheel slip worry me a bit. Rear wheel removal also isn't as easy. Also the super low standover might look silly with a seatpost extended to the top due to me being 6'4". It does have a nice long 19.75" seat tube.

    And if I was to get any of the two above, I would have to splurge on a nice Fox Float 36 or Van 36.

    I could wait for the 2011 Blue Pig ($430) but after having one at the house, I want to try something else.

    Which leads me ultimately to a pretty made decision on a On-One 456 Summer Season in 20" in glow in the dark green. This frame and planned fork are just a little over in cost than the Cotic or TransAm frame only, this being my first build and a weekend rider, I'm trying to build a nice 140/150mm steel hardtail under $1,500 or so.
    konahonzo

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    i can't believe you haven't bought a bike yet...


    how tall are you again?
    I was looking into getting a new frame several months ago, but life and work got in the way.......

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    The TransAm looks good on paper, but the horizontal droputs and reading people's comments on rear wheel slip worry me a bit.
    I use it with their own tensioners, and they are stupid easy to setup - and to remove. Used with a regular QR hub (I use a cog and spacers for SS conversion, as I may want to try 1x9).

    With the derailleur compatible chips it was quite easy to remove as well.

    Glow in the dark green - yes.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    I was looking into getting a new frame several months ago, but life and work got in the way.......
    What's he's trying to say is that he's probably got something in his "stockpile" to sell you!

    right A Nony???

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I could wait for the 2011 Blue Pig ($430) but after having one at the house, I want to try something else.
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you aren't staying with the Blue Pig? Thanks.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    I am planning a new build this winter as a little Xmas present to myself………because I deserve it

    Was going to get an OnOne 456 or a BluePig, but have now decided to splurge and get my dream HT frame. The only problem is that I have 4 dream HT frames and no way to test any of them.

    Evil Soverign
    Chromag Stylus
    Cotic BFE
    Transition TransAM


    My goal is to have a very fun trail bike that handles technical terrain really well, but is also very playful to handle some X-stuntry and light urban stuff. The first 3 on my list should fit the bill pretty nicely, not sure if the TransAM does. I really love the Stylus and BFE, but I think the Sovereign might be the safer bet with the adjustable chain stays. The BFE is over 1/2lb lighter than the rest of them.
    You missed the pick of the litter..... think real hard

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    You missed the pick of the litter..... think real hard
    You mean an EWR. That's my fantasy bike, really want one but can't justify the cost. A friend has one and it's really sweet.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you aren't staying with the Blue Pig? Thanks.
    Just a little too slack for the trails I ride, and while it seems like a good trail bike I am not sure how well it would be as a play bike (skinnies, drops, jumps).

  16. #16
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    Just a little too slack for the trails I ride, and while it seems like a good trail bike I am not sure how well it would be as a play bike (skinnies, drops, jumps).
    have you ridden one?
    do you know anyone who's ridden one in 'Eastern X-stuntry' type conditions?
    (serious question.. cuz i'd like to know myself)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    have you considered the Dialled Alpine?
    Do you ride an Alpine, if so what do you think of it?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    have you ridden one?
    do you know anyone who's ridden one in 'Eastern X-stuntry' type conditions?
    (serious question.. cuz i'd like to know myself)
    No I don't. But I do own / ride an OnOne Summer Season. Its a fun bike, but not so good on X-stuntry. I have really hard time on skinnies / log rides with that bike. Its also not the easiest thing to wheelie drop. I can wheelie drop on my 5-spot with very little effort, while i really have to work to do the same thing on the SS.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    have you considered the Dialled Alpine?
    The Alpine is also pretty sweet. Now I have to add that to the list....thanks

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    You mean an EWR. That's my fantasy bike, really want one but can't justify the cost. A friend has one and it's really sweet.
    oh no,far cheaper than a EWR and better looking for sure....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    oh no,far cheaper than a EWR and better looking for sure....
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the EWR's are great looking.

    anyway, I give up.....what bike should I be looking at.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monstertiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    I am planning a new build this winter as a little Xmas present to myself………because I deserve it

    Was going to get an OnOne 456 or a BluePig, but have now decided to splurge and get my dream HT frame. The only problem is that I have 4 dream HT frames and no way to test any of them.

    Evil Soverign
    Chromag Stylus
    Cotic BFE
    Transition TransAM


    My goal is to have a very fun trail bike that handles technical terrain really well, but is also very playful to handle some X-stuntry and light urban stuff. The first 3 on my list should fit the bill pretty nicely, not sure if the TransAM does. I really love the Stylus and BFE, but I think the Sovereign might be the safer bet with the adjustable chain stays. The BFE is over 1/2lb lighter than the rest of them.
    Of the bikes you listed, even throwing the dialled alpine into the mix, I'd go with the sovereign. The geo looks fun, and the adjustible dropouts make going SS easy should you choose to do so. Really any of the bikes on your list would be awesome, but I am leaning more towards being a little evil.
    Last edited by monstertiki; 12-20-2010 at 08:34 PM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki
    Of the bikes you listed, even throwing the dialled alpine into the mix, I'd go with the sovereign. The geo looks fun, and the adjustible dropouts make going SS easy should you choose to do so. Really any of the bikes on your list would be awesome, but I am leaning more towards the being a little evil.
    I'll post a picture,dont go for the pig,it dose"nt do the urban thing very well...I had a mmmbop for a few days and didnt dig it....it has a old school feel,way over hyped

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    AMCAT - you talking about the NS Surge?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    No I don't. But I do own / ride an OnOne Summer Season. Its a fun bike, but not so good on X-stuntry. I have really hard time on skinnies / log rides with that bike. Its also not the easiest thing to wheelie drop. I can wheelie drop on my 5-spot with very little effort, while i really have to work to do the same thing on the SS.
    I know the 456SS isn't cutting it for you ATM, but how would you rate this bike? I'm pretty much set on a 456SS, no X-stuntry here.
    konahonzo

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    928
    I ride the Evil Sovereign for XC trails with a 140mm fork. It's great. Lots of fun, not difficult to climb. I think it is suppose to manual very easy if you have the dropouts pulled in. I have mine out all the way. No idea what it'd be like for urban riding; dropping the travel down doesn't feel good (Fox TALAS) & it's probably a little heavy for the street.

    The Sov is well worth the $. I never considered the Stylus; I think it's more slack so a bit too much for my local trails. The Sov is PERFECT for everything I've done on it so far & I know it'll take more than I'll ever throw at it.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    117
    The Ragley Piglet is coming out soon (I think). Designed for use with 120mm forks (68.5 HA sagged), 20" ST and 24.6" top tube.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    I am really digging the Dialled Alpine. Love the look of the frame, low stand over & only 5.5 lbs. The only downside is the chain stays are 16.75", a tad longer than I would prefer.

  29. #29
    ride your bike
    Reputation: jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,447
    I love my Sov. No complaints!
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

  30. #30
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    doing a quickie build on this one...
    just gotta slap on some rotors, chain and maybe some gears... (or SS)

    you should be able to test-ride it by the weekend....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sov.jpg  


  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    doing a quickie build on this one...
    just gotta slap on some rotors, chain and maybe some gears... (or SS)

    you should be able to test-ride it by the weekend....
    You wouldn't happen to go by OBD on a couple of other forums?

  32. #32
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    You wouldn't happen to go by OBD on a couple of other forums?
    is it that obvious?

    i try to stay anonymous (A. Nony Moose)

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    is it that obvious?

    i try to stay anonymous (A. Nony Moose)
    I thought it might be after your first post. I was 99% sure it was you after MMcG made a comment about you selling me something from your stash.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    is it that obvious?

    i try to stay anonymous (A. Nony Moose)
    Hmmm

    You wouldn't also happen to be AMCAT?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    Hmmm

    You wouldn't also happen to be AMCAT?
    hmmmmmmmmmm

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    AMCAT is the OBD of Fairfield County!

    Or sorta something like that.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I could wait for the 2011 Blue Pig ($430) but after having one at the house, I want to try something else.

    Which leads me ultimately to a pretty made decision on a On-One 456 Summer Season in 20" in glow in the dark green.

    I failed :-(

    I guessed you'd do that, didn't I :-)

  38. #38
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    Hmmm

    You wouldn't also happen to be AMCAT?

    No sir.
    In fact I'm still waiting for him to reveal his perfect bike for you.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    No sir.
    In fact I'm still waiting for him to reveal his perfect bike for you.

    So am I


    Do you happen to know what the weight of your Sov. frame is?

  40. #40
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    Do you happen to know what the weight of your Sov. frame is?

    Just over 6 pounds

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    AMCAT is the OBD of Fairfield County!

    Or sorta something like that.
    OBD ??? I hope thats good,or at least super bad...

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    What about a DMR Trailstar or Trailstar LT

    Or if you are tall enough - what about an Orange P7?? Suitable up to a 140mm fork and on sale for great prices for sizes 19 and higher at www.unrealcycles.com

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...7-pro-08-30569

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    What about a DMR Trailstar or Trailstar LT

    Or if you are tall enough - what about an Orange P7?? Suitable up to a 140mm fork and on sale for great prices for sizes 19 and higher at www.unrealcycles.com

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...7-pro-08-30569

    STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You caused enough of a mess pointing out the Dialled Alpine......NO MORE!

  44. #44
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    OBD ??? I hope thats good,or at least super bad...
    One Big D**k?

    How about an Endless Lifetime.... Or Goatbike?

    Got those hanging on the wall.....

    But if you've decided to spoil yourself for the new year, you could try something custom like a steel 'Ridge' from FTW Industries under the Unity Bikes name...
    Or a custom ByStickel rig...


    The list is endless..

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You caused enough of a mess pointing out the Dialled Alpine......NO MORE!
    I was just getting started.

    Maybe someting like A Nony Mentioned - A Unity Handmade Bike frame. Built by FTW.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    One Big D**k?

    How about an Endless Lifetime.... Or Goatbike?

    Got those hanging on the wall.....

    But if you've decided to spoil yourself for the new year, you could try something custom like a steel 'Ridge' from FTW Industries under the Unity Bikes name...
    Or a custom ByStickel rig...


    The list is endless..
    You've got an Endless?? Since when?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    One Big D**k?

    How about an Endless Lifetime.... Or Goatbike?

    Got those hanging on the wall.....

    But if you've decided to spoil yourself for the new year, you could try something custom like a steel 'Ridge' from FTW Industries under the Unity Bikes name...
    Or a custom ByStickel rig...


    The list is endless..
    yhea,its pretty big....

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    AMCAT is the OBD of Fairfield County!

    Or sorta something like that.
    Or as we call it green $$$$$$ ct.
    OBD...Hey someone has to keep the housewives happy....

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Or as we call it green $$$$$$ ct.
    OBD...Hey someone has to keep the housewives happy....
    Still waiting for a picture of that bike I should be buying.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DSFA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    810
    After considering most of the frames mentioned I found a used Trans AM and went for it. So far pretty good but still thinking of a Cotic Soul for when I get enough moola scraped together for a new frame.
    Bikes=Sanity

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    Still waiting for a picture of that bike I should be buying.
    i'll post the picture on thrusday....Just checked out the cotic web site,the bfc look very cool

  52. #52
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    I had this guy build mine: stoutbikes.blogspot.com/
    I like bikes.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    972
    Had a new Evil Sov. this spring and it was a solid frame with a nice finish. (just make sure you get the metal shavings out of the seat tube)... Ended up selling it due to fit issues. If you like a long top tube, say 24.5" ETT for a large, look for something else. If you like a short/compact reach, then Evil may be the right frame for ya.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip
    I have a BFe (it is made in Taiwan as well - but has great Geo with 853&653 ovalized tubes) and I haven't been on the AM full-susser since... That new Chromag Aperture looks neat.
    Post a picture....the bfe looks real sweet

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    Still waiting for a picture of that bike I should be buying.
    here ya go....great bang for the $$$,preped to perfection out of the box...and the geo. is right
    although i have to say the cotic bfc looks very cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p1090227.jpg  

    -p1090228.jpg  


  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    I really love the look and geo of the Dialled Alpine, if I was building a pure trail bike it would be the one. But the 16.75" CS are a tad long to also use as a play bike.

    So its either going to be the Evil Sov. or the Cotic BFe. Its all going to come down to weather or not my bike shop can even get me the Sov and then if the will come close to the price I can get it for online. If they a can't get it, or are not willing to move on the price I am going to get the BFe. At the end of the day both bikes are sweet and will suit my needs, if possible I would like to put some cash in my bike shops pocket.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    If you are going to order a Cotic - better do it real soon before prices go up.

    See here:

    http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    If you are going to order a Cotic - better do it real soon before prices go up.

    See here:

    http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/
    VAT rising should not concern U.S. customers.

    Do not you like your socialism?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    331

    Unity bikes?

    Need more info on the new FTW project Unity bikes. Love what FTW has done over the years and the next bike is going to be a long travel hardtail, US made.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,604
    discodave - I sent you a PM

    Curmy - It also appears that Cotic has a US distributor now - which is cool.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    928
    It's too bad Dialled doesn't have US distro's. That's a nice looking frame. I had to decide between the On-One 456 Inbred, Transition, & Sovereign last year when I started saving $. Did a great job pinching pennies so went with the Sov. It's a great frame as long as you don't have really long arms as it seems to be compact for a medium frame (what I have).

    Fanatic Bike Co is a great place to order from too.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DSFA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    here ya go....great bang for the $$$,preped to perfection out of the box...and the geo. is right
    although i have to say the cotic bfc looks very cool
    Awesome bike!!! I was sooooo close to ordering one of these frames but was wavering on the sizing...then decided to go for it and they were sold out for the year.
    Bikes=Sanity

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cheezwhip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Post a picture....the bfe looks real sweet
    The Gritstone is difficult to capture, but here's some pre-ride shots from the iPhone:



    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

  64. #64
    i be lurkin
    Reputation: doesyourchainhanglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    457
    wubout the kona steely, 130mm travel fork, ITS STEEL, ur mom rides it and it looks plain cool(so does the price)
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

  65. #65
    i be lurkin
    Reputation: doesyourchainhanglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    457
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

  66. #66
    RIP Friendgirl
    Reputation: Bordershy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    431

    My TA

    Been lusting for a while now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3145.jpg  

    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    657

    Trans Am is super solid.



  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bunnyhopbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    194
    I have only had the opportunity to get out on this bike 3.5 times (I let someone new to biking ride this an another bike on a bike ride, we switched part way). Sunday I rode from my house to the park. Between the park and my house are a few miles of urban goodness. I lowered the fork to 120mm from 160mm. I have a dj'er I use regularily for urban, and I was elated on how this bike performed! At the park I kept the fork lowered for much of the ride, just wanted to see how it rode lowered. Freaking love this bike! After leaving the park and riding back home through the city I contemplated selling some of my stable. This is the first bike I have ridden that I truly think is the "one". I have had it in an urban setting, pure XC, super-techy ups and downs, it never left me wanting. If this were my ONLY bike, it would have a lyrik 2 step, or, U-turn. Because I have another on-one, a "reg" 456, I am going to prob get a lyrik for the SS and lower it to 150 for this bike.

    This pic was taken Sunday with the fork cranked down to 120mm, it is a 16" SS. I have a 32" inseam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -456ss.jpg  


  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhopbikes
    I have only had the opportunity to get out on this bike 3.5 times (I let someone new to biking ride this an another bike on a bike ride, we switched part way). Sunday I rode from my house to the park. Between the park and my house are a few miles of urban goodness. I lowered the fork to 120mm from 160mm. I have a dj'er I use regularily for urban, and I was elated on how this bike performed! At the park I kept the fork lowered for much of the ride, just wanted to see how it rode lowered. Freaking love this bike! After leaving the park and riding back home through the city I contemplated selling some of my stable. This is the first bike I have ridden that I truly think is the "one". I have had it in an urban setting, pure XC, super-techy ups and downs, it never left me wanting. If this were my ONLY bike, it would have a lyrik 2 step, or, U-turn. Because I have another on-one, a "reg" 456, I am going to prob get a lyrik for the SS and lower it to 150 for this bike.

    This pic was taken Sunday with the fork cranked down to 120mm, it is a 16" SS. I have a 32" inseam.
    What kind of bike is that in the picture?

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bunnyhopbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    What kind of bike is that in the picture?
    Whoops, guess I forgot that part. It is a On-One 456 Summer Season. Check out this thread of mine about my two 456, I am On-TWO now. Sorry, not trying to hi-jak.
    Ben

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Just pulled the trigger on a medium / cyan Cotic BFe, should have it by early next week. Also looking into getting a RockShox Skeltor U-turn for it.

  72. #72
    T.W.O
    Reputation: pfox90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,730
    TransAM is a fan favorite

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    BFe just arrived...its freakin sweet!!!!!

    I am measuring the ETT a bit shorter than the listed geo, but I am not too worried.

  74. #74
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    BFe just arrived...its freakin sweet!!!!!

    I am measuring the ETT a bit shorter than the listed geo, but I am not too worried.


  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    BFe just arrived...its freakin sweet!!!!!

    I am measuring the ETT a bit shorter than the listed geo, but I am not too worried.
    Tim..whats the actual c2c for the top tube in inches
    thx d

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    Tim..whats the actual c2c for the top tube in inches
    thx d
    Measuring C2C I am getting an ETT of 22.75", the Cotic web site lists the ETT as 23.25". Compared to my Onone summer season (ETT of 23.5") the Cotis is about .75" shorter (holding the 2 side by side). I thought I may have been sent a size small, so I measured the seat tube and it's exactly 17.5" that a medium should be. Like I said I am not too worried.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    576
    That sounds like TT length not ETT. Don't you need it built up to measure ETT?efftoptube.gif

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    That sounds like TT length not ETT. Don't you need it built up to measure ETT?efftoptube.gif
    no,just insert a seat post....tim,whats the actual,as measured old school along the top tube c2c
    thx

  79. #79
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    no,just insert a seat post....
    sort of, but not really.
    unless the top tube was horizontal (which clearly it's not) then you won't know the final positioning, which would affect your ability to get an accurate horzontal (ETT) measurement.. i suppose you COULD set the seattube or headtube at their prescribed angles, but it almost sounds simpler, more accurate and a lot more fun just to build the bike first, then measure.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Do not you like your socialism?
    I fekkin loved it when my dad had a heart attack last month. Can't imagine being asked the 'what's your plan?' question by an Ambulance crew, would rather pay shedloads for petrol instead and go to the nearest cardio specialist hospital ASAP with no bill.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DSFA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    +1
    Bikes=Sanity

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    have some crappy pics taken with my phone, will try and get a few posted

  83. #83
    doofus.
    Reputation: eimkeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    I fekkin loved it when my dad had a heart attack last month. Can't imagine being asked the 'what's your plan?' question by an Ambulance crew, would rather pay shedloads for petrol instead and go to the nearest cardio specialist hospital ASAP with no bill.
    Yeah, my family would've loved it when my Dad had his a couple of years ago. The medical exceeded the cost of both his house and mine...

    On the other hand, do any of you TransAm owners wish you had shorter CS lengths?
    - keith

  84. #84
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    504
    this thing built yet or WHAT?





    j.k. i seen it in the shop today.
    we were messing with it.

    the good news: your new frame is fine.
    the bad news: you'll be in the market for a new fork.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    this thing built yet or WHAT?





    j.k. i seen it in the shop today.
    we were messing with it.

    the good news: your new frame is fine.
    the bad news: you'll be in the market for a new fork.
    The good news: already had a RockShox Sektor Coil U-turn on the way
    The bad news: I won't be able to sell that fork

    FWIW - what you saw was a quick rush job to get it built up with what ever I had laying around....couldn't wait for new parts to arrive.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    progress shot. new fork and other bits on the way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn2188.jpg  


  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscusmcvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    progress shot. new fork and other bits on the way
    THAT is a sweet ride...
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

  88. #88
    think
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by eimkeith
    Yeah, my family would've loved it when my Dad had his a couple of years ago. The medical exceeded the cost of both his house and mine...

    On the other hand, do any of you TransAm owners wish you had shorter CS lengths?
    No. The bike feels great, nimble but well balanced. The low bb height is on the money too.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monstertiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    progress shot. new fork and other bits on the way
    Nice ride, are you setting up single speed?

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by eimkeith
    On the other hand, do any of you TransAm owners wish you had shorter CS lengths?
    No, I do not. It is quite quick as is, for its purpose.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki
    Nice ride, are you setting up single speed?
    SS for now, eventually 1x9 or may 2x9 with a Hammerscmidt.

  92. #92
    RIP Friendgirl
    Reputation: Bordershy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    431

    Qurkie Details

    CS length is fine. Could have done without the rear drop out & headset design though.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Took the Cotic BFe out for it's maiden voyage yesterday at Case Mt in CT. This was more of a play / session type of ride with techy trail riding between stunts. First, with the seat up high it was a great trail bike! Quick, nimble, climbs very nice. With the seat down this was a great play bike. It's great on log rides, feels much more accurate than my FS bike. I was a but worried about this bike on steep rollers and drops, but it shined there too. It was so much fun I don't see my 5spot getting much ride time anytime soon. Actually considering selling the 5spot for some a bit bigger. Just too much overlap between the BFe and 5spot.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself on it. Now post some pics.
    konahonzo

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    998
    Here you go






  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cheezwhip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    It was so much fun I don't see my 5spot getting much ride time anytime soon. Actually considering selling the 5spot for some a bit bigger. Just too much overlap between the BFe and 5spot.
    Great looking ride!

    That's exactly what happened to me - sold the Spot and have been on the BFe for the last year. I am looking at some 6-7" bikes now (Rune, Nomad, Mojo HD, RFX)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    tim..the bikes looks good,hows the ride ??

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •