Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Can’t choose: Sovereign, Stylus, BFE or TransAM

I am planning a new build this winter as a little Xmas present to myself………because I deserve it

Was going to get an OnOne 456 or a BluePig, but have now decided to splurge and get my dream HT frame. The only problem is that I have 4 dream HT frames and no way to test any of them.

Evil Soverign
    Chromag Stylus
    Cotic BFE
    Transition TransAM

My goal is to have a very fun trail bike that handles technical terrain really well, but is also very playful to handle some X-stuntry and light urban stuff. The first 3 on my list should fit the bill pretty nicely, not sure if the TransAM does. I really love the Stylus and BFE, but I think the Sovereign might be the safer bet with the adjustable chain stays. The BFE is over 1/2lb lighter than the rest of them.

mtbr member
    one of those is handmade in canada the rest are taiwanese frames. at least the sovereign and trans am are, not sure about the cotic. i just bought my wife a trans am. its quite nice. it was a small and trans am was blowing out last years model. the stylus gets great reviews. as does the evil. tough choice especially if you cant demo one.

mtbr member
    have you considered the Dialled Alpine?

mtbr member
    TransAm is great for anything trail - but I would think it would be a bit tall for "urban" stuff. It seems best with ~150mm fork - would not you want 100 to 120mm for tricks? I just tried riding my TransAm with Sektor u-turn cranked down to 110mm - did not like it much. Among Transition frames it would be Bank that you may want, but it ain't steel. Santa Cruz Jackal? That one should handle a U-turn fork over its whole range..

If I was buying right now - would have got the new titanium 456.

wwg
    No Class
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    one of those is handmade in canada the rest are taiwanese frames. .
    none of those frames are handmade in Canada. Chromag do offer handmade frames, but the Stylus isn't one of them.
    Q: Who's faster than me?
    A: Just about everybody, including your oldest living relative.

Eating Hot Pockets
    i can't believe you haven't bought a bike yet...

how tall are you again?

mtbr member
    I have a BFe (it is made in Taiwan as well - but has great Geo with 853&653 ovalized tubes) and I haven't been on the AM full-susser since... That new Chromag Aperture looks neat.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    I've been looking at the same bikes almost, Cotic BFE, TransAM, and On-One 456 Summer Season. Had a 18" Blue Pig thinking I could make it fit but it turned out to be small and just dropped it off at FedEx on the way to its new owner. I'm back at square one.

The Cotic BFE looks nice but not really feeling any of the colors (the last run with the light grey was awesome though), the Cyan is too bright, and the Gritstone with black reflective stickers in normal lighting conditions doesn't do much for me. The seat tube is also 19" and retails for $599+.

The TransAm looks good on paper, but the horizontal droputs and reading people's comments on rear wheel slip worry me a bit. Rear wheel removal also isn't as easy. Also the super low standover might look silly with a seatpost extended to the top due to me being 6'4". It does have a nice long 19.75" seat tube.

And if I was to get any of the two above, I would have to splurge on a nice Fox Float 36 or Van 36.

I could wait for the 2011 Blue Pig ($430) but after having one at the house, I want to try something else.

Which leads me ultimately to a pretty made decision on a On-One 456 Summer Season in 20" in glow in the dark green. This frame and planned fork are just a little over in cost than the Cotic or TransAm frame only, this being my first build and a weekend rider, I'm trying to build a nice 140/150mm steel hardtail under $1,500 or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    i can't believe you haven't bought a bike yet...

how tall are you again?
    I was looking into getting a new frame several months ago, but life and work got in the way.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    The TransAm looks good on paper, but the horizontal droputs and reading people's comments on rear wheel slip worry me a bit.
    I use it with their own tensioners, and they are stupid easy to setup - and to remove. Used with a regular QR hub (I use a cog and spacers for SS conversion, as I may want to try 1x9).

With the derailleur compatible chips it was quite easy to remove as well.

Glow in the dark green - yes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    I was looking into getting a new frame several months ago, but life and work got in the way.......
    What's he's trying to say is that he's probably got something in his "stockpile" to sell you!

right A Nony???

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    I could wait for the 2011 Blue Pig ($430) but after having one at the house, I want to try something else.
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you aren't staying with the Blue Pig? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am planning a new build this winter as a little Xmas present to myself………because I deserve it

Was going to get an OnOne 456 or a BluePig, but have now decided to splurge and get my dream HT frame. The only problem is that I have 4 dream HT frames and no way to test any of them.

Evil Soverign
    Chromag Stylus
    Cotic BFE
    Transition TransAM

My goal is to have a very fun trail bike that handles technical terrain really well, but is also very playful to handle some X-stuntry and light urban stuff. The first 3 on my list should fit the bill pretty nicely, not sure if the TransAM does. I really love the Stylus and BFE, but I think the Sovereign might be the safer bet with the adjustable chain stays. The BFE is over 1/2lb lighter than the rest of them.
    You missed the pick of the litter..... think real hard

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    You missed the pick of the litter..... think real hard
    You mean an EWR. That's my fantasy bike, really want one but can't justify the cost. A friend has one and it's really sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you aren't staying with the Blue Pig? Thanks.
    Just a little too slack for the trails I ride, and while it seems like a good trail bike I am not sure how well it would be as a play bike (skinnies, drops, jumps).

Eating Hot Pockets
    Just a little too slack for the trails I ride, and while it seems like a good trail bike I am not sure how well it would be as a play bike (skinnies, drops, jumps).
    have you ridden one?
    do you know anyone who's ridden one in 'Eastern X-stuntry' type conditions?
    (serious question.. cuz i'd like to know myself)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Do you ride an Alpine, if so what do you think of it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    have you ridden one?
    do you know anyone who's ridden one in 'Eastern X-stuntry' type conditions?
    (serious question.. cuz i'd like to know myself)
    No I don't. But I do own / ride an OnOne Summer Season. Its a fun bike, but not so good on X-stuntry. I have really hard time on skinnies / log rides with that bike. Its also not the easiest thing to wheelie drop. I can wheelie drop on my 5-spot with very little effort, while i really have to work to do the same thing on the SS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    The Alpine is also pretty sweet. Now I have to add that to the list....thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You mean an EWR. That's my fantasy bike, really want one but can't justify the cost. A friend has one and it's really sweet.
    oh no,far cheaper than a EWR and better looking for sure....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    oh no,far cheaper than a EWR and better looking for sure....
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the EWR's are great looking.

anyway, I give up.....what bike should I be looking at.

mtbr member

Evil Soverign
    Chromag Stylus
    Cotic BFE
    Transition TransAM

Of the bikes you listed, even throwing the dialled alpine into the mix, I'd go with the sovereign. The geo looks fun, and the adjustible dropouts make going SS easy should you choose to do so. Really any of the bikes on your list would be awesome, but I am leaning more towards being a little evil.
    Last edited by monstertiki; 12-20-2010 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monstertiki
    Of the bikes you listed, even throwing the dialled alpine into the mix, I'd go with the sovereign. The geo looks fun, and the adjustible dropouts make going SS easy should you choose to do so. Really any of the bikes on your list would be awesome, but I am leaning more towards the being a little evil.
    I'll post a picture,dont go for the pig,it dose"nt do the urban thing very well...I had a mmmbop for a few days and didnt dig it....it has a old school feel,way over hyped

mtbr member
    AMCAT - you talking about the NS Surge?

mtbr member
    No I don't. But I do own / ride an OnOne Summer Season. Its a fun bike, but not so good on X-stuntry. I have really hard time on skinnies / log rides with that bike. Its also not the easiest thing to wheelie drop. I can wheelie drop on my 5-spot with very little effort, while i really have to work to do the same thing on the SS.
    I know the 456SS isn't cutting it for you ATM, but how would you rate this bike? I'm pretty much set on a 456SS, no X-stuntry here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast