Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Camelbak Consigliere vs. Camelbak M.U.L.E

I can't decide which pack to get, the 70 or 100 oz. doesnt really matter much to me. I just want a nice pack that I can take for 2-3 hour all mountain ride. Some days I ride xc and others I do shuttle and lift service.

Looking for opinions from ppl who have had one of either of the packs.

Thank you in advance

T.W.O
    I went from a 70 to a 100, still don't drink it all. Really it isn't the water size I was looking for, just a few more pockets that I could put tools and gels in. The 100 would be good for like a all day epic or something though, but it isn't necessary for a 2hr ride as you would be sucking down a lot of water and you would probably hurl.

I would just get the 100 though unless it is more like a hiking bag/back pack I can't imagine those would be fun to ride and would throw you off balance pretty easy.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a mule and its great, want to upgrade to the new antidote bladder with detachable hose so it can be cleaned better. I have always had a problem getting the hose clean even with the cleaner kit. Detaching from the bag would help a ton.
    I am now looking into Camelbak The Don because it is one of the few that has a full face helmet carrier spot.
    Anyways my mule is 5ish years old and going strong just a few bladder replacements since then.

mns
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have the consiglere and has fitted my perfect. 2lt is enough for 2-3 hours ride, it can carry the essential (knee/elbow pads + a couple of sandwiches and spare tubes). It can also carry a full face helmet without a problem.
    (I also wear it when snowboarding (and I can barely fit the shovel + probe).
    I think the mule can fit more stuff, but in my case it was not the main concern.
    The new bladder with the easy detachable hose is a very welcomed feature though...
    For me:
    consigliere: 3 maybe 4 hours max of ride, with the essential stuff
    mule: 4+ hours of ride and more stuff

hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would suggest the 100oz. On a hot lift day I feel like I want to suck down more water then riding trail sometimes. Besides if you don't need as much water just don't fill it up as much for a shorter ride!

I would also suggest a different pack.

http://www.wingnutgear.com/product_d...product_id=116

The lower placement of weight is a huge difference. You don't get the pack riding up your shoulders affecting your center of gravity or smacking your helmet if you are bouncing around. These are great quality packs, just need to buy a bladder of choice. The 3.0 pack is my choice of size. It compacts much nicer than other packs when not full of stuff and is lighter than Camel backs. I have even commuted to work with this pack filled with food and clothes. Other sizes available too.

Sorry to hijack and change subject, just wanted to share my pack experiences since this product really changed my thoughts on design/function/preferences for hydration packs.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mns
    I have the consiglere and has fitted my perfect. 2lt is enough for 2-3 hours ride, it can carry the essential (knee/elbow pads + a couple of sandwiches and spare tubes). It can also carry a full face helmet without a problem.
    (I also wear it when snowboarding (and I can barely fit the shovel + probe).
    I think the mule can fit more stuff, but in my case it was not the main concern.
    The new bladder with the easy detachable hose is a very welcomed feature though...
    For me:
    consigliere: 3 maybe 4 hours max of ride, with the essential stuff
    mule: 4+ hours of ride and more stuff

hope it helps.
    Thank you, solid and simple write up. I actually picked up a mule at LBS today and I'm thinking about returning it. The ability to carry a full face helmet is pretty sweet for shuttle runs and long rides up.

Tough Decision

Dinner for wolves
    I have a MULE and routinely strap my non FF helmet to it. Great pack. 100oz is the way to go, because you don't have to fill it up if you don't want to. Its true. MULE has stood the test of time and will not let you down. The Wingnut is intriguing, but costs at least 2x as much as what I paid for my MULE.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    I have a MULE and routinely strap my non FF helmet to it. Great pack. 100oz is the way to go, because you don't have to fill it up if you don't want to. Its true. MULE has stood the test of time and will not let you down. The Wingnut is intriguing, but costs at least 2x as much as what I paid for my MULE.
    Agreed, and I'd rather have a narrow pack to keep cool in the summer. I'm not going to be carrying a heavy load either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ordered a Consigliere after deciding that the ability to carry a full face helmet is a necessity. Thank you for everyone's help.

I'm with stupid
    I am very disappointed with my MULE pack, I find that when the bladder is all filled up (100 or so oz.) that it limits what i can carry by a ton. It also causes a monster round bulge in your back when you have it full with a days worth of food and jacket, map, first aid kit tube, pump and such. I find the water to take up most storage room in the main pocket.

Other problems are the is no outside cinch straps to strap leg and forearm armor on the outside. It is designed to skinny so it packs out ( away from back) instead of being a bit wider resulting in a thinner pack that does not pull out on shoulders and pitch side to side during riding. Just some food for thought, for anyone looking for a all day AM/ Free ride pack when armor is involved.

I found looking for new packs that i ended up pulling the "stuffing" out of one or two of the show packs on the rack and stuffing the pack im looking at to the zippers fight to close and then throw it on and see how it fits and feels cause they feel very different full, even with just stuffing. The employees might look at you odd, but hey after all its your money in the end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    I am very disappointed with my MULE pack, I find that when the bladder is all filled up (100 or so oz.) that it limits what i can carry by a ton. It also causes a monster round bulge in your back when you have it full with a days worth of food and jacket, map, first aid kit tube, pump and such. I find the water to take up most storage room in the main pocket.

Other problems are the is no outside cinch straps to strap leg and forearm armor on the outside. It is designed to skinny so it packs out ( away from back) instead of being a bit wider resulting in a thinner pack that does not pull out on shoulders and pitch side to side during riding. Just some food for thought, for anyone looking for a all day AM/ Free ride pack when armor is involved.

I found looking for new packs that i ended up pulling the "stuffing" out of one or two of the show packs on the rack and stuffing the pack im looking at to the zippers fight to close and then throw it on and see how it fits and feels cause they feel very different full, even with just stuffing. The employees might look at you odd, but hey after all its your money in the end.
    Thank you, I am going with the Consigliere and will post a review once I get the pack later this week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i have the capo and woudl reccomend it. I use it for 2-4 hr rides all the time and love it

cell phone storage perfect amount of space looks cool and great quality no leaks etc

very nice bag

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The consilgiere just arrived today and it looks like the perfect pack for what im looking for. I holds the bare essentials: pumps, tube, tools and lunch internally. on the outside it carries your full face helmet and armor nicely. Here are a couple pics (sry for cell phone quality):

mtbr member

Camelbak Consigliere: ventilation

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP125 View Post
    The consilgiere just arrived today and it looks like the perfect pack for what im looking for. I holds the bare essentials: pumps, tube, tools and lunch internally. on the outside it carries your full face helmet and armor nicely.
    I'm interested in the Consigliere too. My only doubt is ventilation. The back panel doesn't have a longitudinal channel for air flow:

Camelbak Consigliere vs. Camelbak M.U.L.E-back-consigliere-sml.gif

Instead, the MULE has this channel. Looking at the back, it seems to me that the MULE might allow a better air flow--especially the NV version:

Camelbak Consigliere vs. Camelbak M.U.L.E-camelbak_mule_nv_back_3_600.jpg

Could you please tell me how is the Consigliere on this point? Does it make you sweat your back? How does it compare with the MULE and the MULE NV?

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    I love my MULE NV. I can carry knee/arm pads with my Giro FF strapped, bladder about half-full, tools and some food.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    I just order a Osprey Raptor 14 today,,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaelin View Post
    I love my MULE NV. I can carry knee/arm pads with my Giro FF strapped, bladder about half-full, tools and some food.
    How do you carry your knee and arm pads? Do you strap them as well as your full face helmet?

I'd rather have a pack the size of Consigliere. I usually carry a multi-tool, a tube, a cereal bar. 2 litres of water would be enough. I have an extra tube and a small pump strapped on my bike, as well as 2 bottles of water--1 extra litre overall. So the Mule seems a bit oversized, also because I don't like to carry too much load on my back.

However I like the Mule NV for its back panel. Besides, i defenitely prefer how it looks.

Do you also reckon it's too big for my needs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got the mule 100oz with detachable hose and I'm amazed at what it can carry. I used to carry bottles on the bike be lost a couple whilst bouncing on rougher rides. Never looked back. Also I use five powder mixed with my water which I think replaces the need for energy bars and therefore storage of them.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I've been rocking the same MULE for 9 years. I use it for everything outdoors. Best piece of equipment I own.
    Last edited by curtboroff; 07-11-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I havent had any issues with the Consigliere and breath ability. I think what it boils down to is whether you want to be able to carry a full face helmet and if you need the 100 oz. resivoir. its a great pack and carry's everything you need and more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I havent had any issues with the Consigliere and breath ability. I think what it boils down to is whether you want to be able to carry a full face helmet and if you need the 100 oz. resivoir. its a great pack and carry's everything you need and more.
    I got the Mule NV last year and it can also carry a FF strapped to the back. In saying that, I picked up a Dakine Drafter so I can carry my armor on the bottom straps.

mtbr member
    I think I'll take the Consigliere. The MULE NV weighs 800 grams. To me it's too much.

mtbr member
    I'll try the mule, but in the military version;

Less fashion, but more practical in my opinion, their military gear are looking more tougher. I have currently 2 camelbaks, a thermobak and an ambush in 3 liters version. I'm very satisfied. On the mule you have molle attachments points so you can put pouches on it to satisfy your needs.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solitone View Post
    How do you carry your knee and arm pads? Do you strap them as well as your full face helmet?

I'd rather have a pack the size of Consigliere. I usually carry a multi-tool, a tube, a cereal bar. 2 litres of water would be enough. I have an extra tube and a small pump strapped on my bike, as well as 2 bottles of water--1 extra litre overall. So the Mule seems a bit oversized, also because I don't like to carry too much load on my back.

However I like the Mule NV for its back panel. Besides, i defenitely prefer how it looks.

Do you also reckon it's too big for my needs?
    I wrap the arm/elbow guards with the knee/shin guards and put them into the 'open' pocket.. then I stick the lower half of my FF into the top of the pocket and clip the straps around the cinches. Then cinch down tightly, and viola. Safe and secure.

The Mule NV IS kind of big though for something like a XC ride.. I have a Rogue for those occasions.

You can certainly cinch down everything on your relatively empty Mule and it won't occupy THAT much real estate on your back, but that defeats the purpose.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I'll try the mule, but in the military version;

Less fashion, but more practical in my opinion, their military gear are looking more tougher. I have currently 2 camelbaks, a thermobak and an ambush in 3 liters version. I'm very satisfied. On the mule you have molle attachments points so you can put pouches on it to satisfy your needs.
    You can also attach it to your gassmask, in case of chemical warfare attacks.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast