mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bonking ... not feelin' well camelbak the capo or m.u.l.e nv

hi there
    cant really decide between these 2 packs both looks grate and so on but cant make up my mind to pick one
    seems like both have same capacity according to camelbak website which is:

Hydration Capacity: 100 oz (3 L)
    Total Capacity: 854 cu in (14 L)

at first i wanted mule nv but lately the capo got my attention coz it feels like its smaller, more compact than mule. anyways what do u guys think about both of them and please share some thoughts about mule nv back panel. is it worth it ? i have strange feeling like its not comfortable but its only feeling from waching video reviews and such.

what do i want to pack in it: you know like all standard bike tools pump and so on and maybe some clothes which is rainproof jacket (very thin) and maybe a hoodie if its big enough, pack compartment that is.

thanks in advance and sorry for bad english

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    anyways what do u guys think about both of them and please share some thoughts about mule nv back panel. is it worth it
    I don't have the Mule NV but I have the HAWG NV. I debated whether or not I wanted the NV panel because those models cost more and I also wondered if it would make any difference. I finally bought it from REI because I figured if it didn't pan out, I could return/exchange it.

Before this HAWG I had 2 other Camelbaks (Blowfish and older model HAWG). I don't know if the NV panel helps you cool down faster but it's definitely not uncomfortable. Even though the panel is plastic, it doesn't feel like a board against your back because there is still the mesh material and then the empty space between that material and the plastic. So really, you're not touching the bag at all which should help to cool you (I just don't really notice I guess).

The problem with all packs is they get soaked with sweat.....not the NV bags. The sweat is never absorbed by the pack and so I don't find the need to wash the bag as often.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been using various camelbak packs for years but I don't like having to take them off to get to my gear. I'm thinking about using a mesh Load Bearing Vest with a bladder compartment and various size pouches on the front. Camelbak Delta 5 is mil-spec but there are quite a few less (and more) expensive ones out there.

mtbr member
    im going thru the same debate with myself. The thing with me is on my new stumpy i have nowhere to put anything so i need some sort of backpack for basic stuff, multi tool, energy bar, pump etc. And the plastic water bottles always taste like plastic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i love my capo! perfect size, not too big nor too small, plenty of storage, 100oz of liquid.

mtbr member
    If you ride in hot weather you need to give the Deuter hydration packs your consideration as well.
    Just saw one for the first time and was blown away by the all mesh frame. It stands out away from your body creating much more air flow than the camelbaks!
    I'm debating pulling the trigger on one myself. Dang mtb'ing is expensive! lol

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by staticuxo View Post
    i love my capo! perfect size, not too big nor too small, plenty of storage, 100oz of liquid.
    Agreed, the capo is sweet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I love my capo and my buddy loves his mule.... its really just preference

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

M.u.l.e. Nv

Been riding a new Mule NV for the last 4 months or so. The new NV panel works great (you don't notice it much until it's cold out and then you really notice how much it cools).
    As far as size goes, I guess that I like to be able to roll with a couple layer in the spring/fall and theres room for that along with another quart of water if needed. And the new lid on the reservoir is WAY easier to open/close.
    Camelback now advertises that there guaranteed for life so I got that going for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I also really enjoy my capo but I never did try the mule

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I love riding with my camelbak -Ive never used the capo but I have a MULE NV and had a regular MULE. I honestly dont think the NV is worth the price, i dont notice the difference at all with the ventilation and i still get a sweaty back. it also has a rain cover but ive never had any problem with rain penetrating my MULE (2-3 hours out in rainy VT beerfest). The extras seem a little gimmicky in hindsight.
    The new reservoir is the only 'new feature' i think i really appreciate, but of course they all have that.

Quote Originally Posted by H2o-Bar View Post
    Been riding a new Mule NV for the last 4 months or so. The new NV panel works great (you don't notice it much until it's cold out and then you really notice how much it cools).
    im sure its true, but i also stay cool and sweat less in general when its cold out. my 2 cents are to go with the standard MULE, good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks for all the replies guys
    i think ill go with mule nv and give it a try
    i was a bit worried about the nv back panel, if its gonna be comfortable or not since ive seen it only on the internet (youtube, web reviews and so on) and it looked hmm "weird" or maybe i should say different

mtbr member
    I have the Mule but I also have a Rogue. I bought the Mule for longer rides, just havent used it yet. But I bought the Mule over the Cado.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Camelbak Delta 5. 100z bladder. Something a little different. Can be set up to hold your gear on the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    JensonUSA has the Capo for $50 if that makes any difference.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the capo and really like it. I choose the capo bc I ride with a full face helmet 50% of the time and I like the way the capo holds my full face.