mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Bying a quality mountain bike

Hi members! I'm a Norwegian girl who just got separated from my lifelong love - a 12 year old mountain bike. This bike was of a famous, Norwegian brand (DBS "Intruder") which cost me $500 (on sale) 12 years ago. Two months ago I rode it in a 92 km long race, it worked like a charm!

The problem is that I've moved to USA, and didn't bring it. I am therefore looking for a new life companion of the same quality, a bike that lasts at least 10 years with only a few big "services" over those years. Since I'm not familiar with the American bike brands, I'm asking you! (Most of the bike tests online don't account for durability and quality over several years, which really makes sense.)

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I live in the UK but bikes here are similar. What is your budget?

What are you looking for, full suspension or a hard tail? Once you get to about $1,000 it is difficult to buy a bad bike, most are similar in basic specification.

Once people know your budget I am sure you will start to get plenty of suggestions. I recently bought a new bike after much deliberating over various makes, but my budget was the equivalent US$2,000 so there's no point in me advising you which bike I bought as I don't know how much you have available to spend.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz gets lots of love. pick out one of their bikes and do a "review" search for it on Google, youll see.

example... https://www.google.com/search?q=sant...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Last edited by nauc; 10-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

usually cranky
    $500 and 12 years ago so im guessing rigid? you can get 10 years out of a suspended bike but you will have to do service work regualry. if you wait until something fails you could be facing a big bill.

mtbr member
    I don't know what other brands offer a life-time warranty on the frame, but here in Canada, Specialized does. It's one of the reasons I chose it.
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

mtbr member
    Once you get to about $1,000 any bike you buy is going to be satisfactory, as long as you look after it.

The main issue is with low end bikes, say $500 full suspension bought online from supermarkets.

But you were not going to go down that road anyway of course.

mtbr member

Re: Bying a quality mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by maylinnp View Post
    Hi members! I'm a Norwegian girl who just got separated from my lifelong love - a 12 year old mountain bike. This bike was of a famous, Norwegian brand (DBS "Intruder") which cost me $500 (on sale) 12 years ago. Two months ago I rode it in a 92 km long race, it worked like a charm!

The problem is that I've moved to USA, and didn't bring it. I am therefore looking for a new life companion of the same quality, a bike that lasts at least 10 years with only a few big "services" over those years. Since I'm not familiar with the American bike brands, I'm asking you! (Most of the bike tests online don't account for durability and quality over several years, which really makes sense.)

Thank you!
    Just search for a good LBS or 2 in your area. You can always ask mtbr members to recommend one.
    Head in and ask lots of questions. If they are good, they will ask lots of questions as well. Be honest about the way how you are going to ride it.
    After you narrow it down, try the bikes and finally buy the one you are most comfortable with.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ibis, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Yeti and Specialized are some of the popular brands around my neck of the woods. I own an Ibis, and I have friends who own the other brands, and they're all very happy with their bikes. There are certainly many other great brands out there. Those are popular here because we're a relatively small town and that's what the local bike shops carry.

Good luck finding your next true love
    Don't listen to me. I'm too new to have an opinion yet.

mtbr member
    Well, the OP has not been back since that first post, so let's hope she returns some time to read the advice that's been given.