mtbr member
    May 2015

New question here. Buying a used SC Bronson

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to mountain biking and need some advice on a more serious purchase. I bought a Charge hardtail 6mo ago and has been a blast for most of the rides. Right now I'm ready to switch up my ride to an 650B AM bike. I was looking at Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, SC Heckler, Intense Carbine and finally the Bronson. I really wanted to get the Heckler as it was closer to my budget but none of the stores around San Diego seem to carry them. They did carry the 2015 Bronson C which had the same geo and felt pretty good but it was closer to 4k out the door. I found a used 2015 XL Bronson C R kit for 3k on Craigslist and was wondering if that is still a good deal for this bike and also how important is getting the receipt from the previous rider? Warranty purposes.

For tall riders, I'm 6'2" and most of the bikes seem kind of small from the stem to my face but not really the leg part. Should I make sure I get XL size or a different stem on a large? Also, when testing bikes out at the stores, I was getting the notion that some manufacture are getting the XL riders to be on a 29er? My hardtail is a 29er but for more aggressive riding I'm not that comfortable being higher up I guess.

Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So you won't get a warranty whether you get the receipt or not, as the warrenty is only for the original owner.

here is a copy of the warranty from santa cruz's webite. Buying used is a good way to get a good bike for cheaper than new but there is some expected risk to be had.

Five Year Frame Warranty

Santa Cruz Bicycles will repair or replace at its option any frame it determines to be defective. The warranty will be in effect for five years from the date of sale and applies to the original owner. This warranty does not cover custom finishes.

Lifetime Bearing Warranty

Santa Cruz Bicycles pivot bearings are warranted for life to the original owner of the bike. The return process is simple: send your used bearings back to Santa Cruz Bicycles in an envelope marked "Warranty Bearing Replacement", and be sure to include your return address. We'll turn your package around within 48 hours, and cover the shipping back to you. That's it!

No-Fault Replacement

Santa Cruz Bicycles will make replacement frame parts available to the original owner at a minimal charge in the event of a crash or other non-warranty situation for the life of the bike.
    For sizing try out both sizes and see which you like, The large comes with a 70mm stem and I wouldn't go any longer than that. Ignore the wheel size thing and just try bikes till you find one you like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Unless you have really short inseam the XL will be the size you want on the Bronson. Short stem with wide bars will feel very good on it. For a carbon frame, i'd definitely make sure there is no damage, specially in the downtube and bottom bracket area for rock strikes and the chainstays for excessive chain slap.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I checked my inseam was 33'. For the wear and tear I will have a look at the areas you mentioned when I go check the bike out. Also he told me he does a lot of DH racing and I'm afraid the bike maybe be more beat on then the normal rider. Just guessing on my part. None the less, it looks like he purchased it back in 7/2014 so he didn't have it long.

Would it be better to wait for the 2015 model to be pushed back and try to get a deal when 2016's come in? I hate to lose the warranty but then again I'm saving some money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Why not spend $3100 on a brand new Heckler with a Pike fork? You can buy the He kler directly from Competitive Cyclist, Colorado Cyclist, and some other internet sellers, somyou don't have to get it at a Local bike shop. You get a new bike with a warranty.

Call up The internet sellers and negotiate a deal, you may get it less than MSRP.

I have had a Heckler R since September, bought from CC, and love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Why not spend $3100 on a brand new Heckler with a Pike fork? You can buy the He kler directly from Competitive Cyclist, Colorado Cyclist, and some other internet sellers, somyou don't have to get it at a Local bike shop. You get a new bike with a warranty.

Call up The internet sellers and negotiate a deal, you may get it less than MSRP.

This.
    T275a

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    In case you are windering about size if you are interested in a Heckler from an online seller, I contacted SantaCruz before I bought mine and described myself and a bike that I have that fits me well and they recommended a Large for me. But their web site would have had me on a medium. The Large fits great.

When the bike arrived from Competitive cyclist there was very little to do to assemble, put the wheels in the dropouts, insert seat post, put on my pedals. They include a checklist of what was done to assemble it and they had a link to Youtube video on how to unpack the bike from the box and how to asemble. For me it was a great exoerience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Technically his local shop could order in a heckler and then he would have the support of his local shop.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If I get the heckler, with out too much experience in MTB, would I be losing too much benefits of using carbon and VPP?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Suspension is to some degree a matter of preference. I have ridden VPP in the past and it was fine but I can't articulate anything specific. It seemed okay and when I pedaled at times it felt like something was pulling back.

I went from FSR suspension to Single Pivot with Heckler. So far I don't think I am missing anything. The Heckler seems like a more efficient clinber, especially technical climbing. There is a review of the Heckler on MTBR by a user named KRob, who rode it at one of the big Bike Industry Demo events in Las Vegas and it gets more to your question of whether you might be missing something. Just do a search for it.

I did not consider a Carbon bike seriously because of my budget. I don't feel like I am missing anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You will have to scroll through the pages to fine the Heckler review at the link below, but you might also find another bike to consider in the process. Bible of Bikes videos might help you in considering other bikes, too.

KRob?s Outerbike 2013 Bike Demo Reviews ? Part 2 - Mtbr.com

2014 Bible of Bike Tests

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Heckler review is on page 6. Best takeaway from that review is to find a bike you like and enjoy riding, don't stress about all the latest stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think the Heckler rides well above its price point (I had a 26" version). The alloy frame and single pivot suspension are not going to hold you back. The VPP suspension will travel differently, but not necessarily better. Fit and geometry are much more significant than sp vs vpp. IMO.

Carbon is lighter and stiffer than alloy, both good things. But the frame material is not really going to impact your riding. Other factors matter more than frame material, especially on a budget.

I think the Heckler with a Pike is a great value. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for all the input guys, I ended up getting the used Bronson C. The seller brought the price down a bit more but could of lowered it even more due to it needing a tune up. Needed new derailleur cables, derailleur adjustment, chain and some play in the bottom bracket. I did take the advise and looked at the chainslap, downtube and BB for damage and didn't see anything but some normal scratches from riding. The brake pads and suspension was still good for a couple more months. My local bike shop confirmed no cracks on the frame. So $2600 + about $200 tune up fee, I guess isn't bad for my first used bike. The bike seemed to be used only for one season but the seller said mint condition which which it wasn't. I'm gonna have to learn all these things so I can tune it up myself.

The XL seem to fit perfect and felt pretty good for my 6'2" height.

Once I get the bike back I'll be super excited to finally take it out for a ride.

Buying a used SC Bronson-img_5987.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it. Sounds like you made a smart purchase by getting it checked out and lowering the price, so you shouldn't have any problems. I hear you on sellers putting their stuff up as mint or like new and then not being that way, it's just one of those things that's relative from person to person.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Congratulations and enjoy!

kind of a bummer about the seller misrepresenting the condition but at least it was discounted. personally I would pass on sellers like that, with limited information as a buyer it can make you wonder what else they are misrepresenting. on the other hand you can use situations like this to your advantage and it sounds like you did just that--ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sweet bike! Your gonna love it. I have the same frame. IMO that was a good deal. The VPP is sweeeet. Plus the color scheme you have can't be beat! Plus since you got a used bike down the road when you start dreaming of upgrades, your are totally justified.

Note: the Pike fork is bad-ass and the One-Up conversion is the best upgrade you can do (I think).

mtbr member
    May 2015
    You will have to scroll through the pages to fine the Heckler review at the link below, but you might also find another bike to consider in the process. Bible of Bikes videos might help you in considering other bikes, too.

KRob?s Outerbike 2013 Bike Demo Reviews ? Part 2 - Mtbr.com

2014 Bible of Bike Tests
    Great!