mtbr member
    May 2011

Buying a used bike: yeti575 vs. Cannondale Rush 3

I'm looking for a used bike in the 2K budget frame. Checking the local craigslist I'm down to a couple of options:

Cannondale Rush 3 Carbon atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bik/2417466864.html
    Yeti 575 atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bik/2456963984.html
    or the Rumblefish: atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/bik/2451886225.html

leaving the pricing factor out how would you prioritize the choices? Yeti seems to have the best parts but it's also quite ridden... Rumblefish is a 29er (tried only a Tallboy and loved it) and also has the most simplistic parts.

My style is mid-length cross-country trails (12-20miles), not for too long and not with crazy jumps. I'm upgrading from my first hardtale so I'm positive i'll enjoy any full suspension bike and I'm not looking for racing or competing bikes. The carbon frame is nice but not required.

Thoughts? What do I need to take into account? Certainly I'll test ride them all...

T.W.O.
    Both are XC bike. Rush has 4" travel and Yeti has 5.75" travel. I'd still consider Yeti XC bike because the XC geometry, but it's a very capable tackling some rough descend compare to Rush. If you throw Prophet in the mix the Prophet would feel slacker and more trail bike like than Yeti even with less travel at 5.5" It's not a bad or good thing for Yeti it's just the way it feels, many riders love that including myself.

Rush is a good ol' singlepivot design, 575 is a linkage driven singlepivot design, a bit more hightech on a trusty design. Rumblefish is a modified singlepivot another variation of SP with the aid of ABP, to isolate brake stiffening suspension.

When it comes to size though the Yeti would feel almost one size bigger than Cannondale. A medium 575 would be almost equivalent to large Rush. If you fit the Runblefish it would be my first pick. Check it out and test ride is highly recommended before you buy one.

mtbr member
    Doesn't the Yeti have a 68 degree headtube angle? That's not very xc. My prophet has 67.5 in freeride mode and I don't use it because of the lower BB and pedal smacks.

Rob
    Get the Yeti and don't look back. One of my best friends rides a 575 with a Talas 120/160. Here is the North East its ride up(120) and bomb down(160mm). It does this very very well. It was my second choice over my Mach 5(just liked the fit better). If your worried about the head angle.. Cane Creek makes the adjustable one. Its not a "Me too" bike either. Where ever we ride you don't usually see another one.