mtbr member

Buying a used bike...

Hey guys I need your help! I am going to buy a used bike (just waiting for a good deal) I want to know the most important things to look for? Ecxept checking if the brakes and derailleur are working..Anything about the rear suspension ? It's my first FS.. And where are the cracks often located on the frame ? Thanks for your help!

What could go wrong ...
    the first thing to look for in any bike is the fit ... if it doesnt fit you then its not a deal no matter what condition its in
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Thanks ! Assuming it fits me?

mtbr member
    Take this as dogma, it doesn't matter how good of a deal it is, if it doesn't fit you do not buy it. What is your budget?
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    May 2005
    -NO frame crack/ding. Check pivots.
    - Suspension are expensive to rebuilt
    - Worn chainring/cassette
    - Wheels lateral play
    -

perpetual pucker factor
    There are plenty of obvious things, like bent rims, poor shifting, cracks in the frame... all that stuff. But I'm sure you know that, so moving on.

I would suggest going to a local shop before anything. Take some time talking to the sales rep about how to size a bike correctly for yourself. Test ride bikes, and don't just think about how smooth and nice it is to ride. Pay attention to where your knees are in relation to the handlebars when turning. Think about how far forward or far back you are sitting, and whether or not that will be comfortable for long hours in the saddle. Things like bar height, head tube and seat tube angles, etc are pretty important. Small changes make a lot of difference. Testing out bikes and knowing what fits you best will be your biggest asset.

In terms of suspension, most modern bikes (let's say 2006 and newer) will be pretty darn good. If you stay with one of the bigger brands like Fox, Rockshox, Manitou, Marzocchi, etc, you will have a good quality setup. In terms of suspension design, I personally like the feel of what are called 'floating pivot linkages.' I think they climb better while still remaining soft and smooth when things get rough. Some examples of this type of suspension are Santa Cruz's VPP, Giant's Maestro, Pivot/Ibis's DW Link, and Canfield's One Suspension. The only suspension design I just do not care for is Kona and Ellsworth's older Horst link.

Oh, and stay away from anything from 2008-2010 with Marzocchi forks. They feel so good, but they had a lot of trouble with reliability in those years. They're fine now, but those years almost bankrupted them they were so bad.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I approach buying a used bike like buying a used car. Check everything carefully, ask a ton of questions (how many miles, what kind of trails, when was the last time it was in the shop, what have you replaced and why, etc), do research on what I'm buying and what others have to say about the same bike, ride it and really pay attention how it rides, and don't be afraid to walk away if it doesn't feel right.

mtbr member
    Lots of things to check are frame specific so youd have to wait to you saw a bike come up for sale then google the model and year check if there were recalls or common problems IE gian reign x fom 2010.

Push on the cranks perpindicular to the frame and see if it has play in the pivots

Some people say dont buy used FS cause its a crap sgoot. Sometimes we got no choice

I would say since your phyisical inspection is about worthless just buy somthing off pink bike.

mtbr member
    +100 on fit. Frames and wheels are biggies. I would not sweat the drivetrain. That can be sorted out in a tune up. Would not let a worn out chain or crank scare me out of a good deal. If you are unsure about components, find someone that does to check it out. Full suspension bikes require more upkeep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Push on the cranks perpindicular to the frame and see if it has play in the pivots
    what is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    I would say since your phyisical inspection is about worthless just buy somthing off pink bike.
    why?
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    heres some advice of a bit different nature but I think is true:

look for sellers that give you a good amount of pictures and details about the bike they are selling. these types also tend to be more responsive to online inquiries. to me, this demonstrates that they likely know enough about what they are talking about and take pride in what they do (not always the case but has worked out most times for me). in my experience, this also indicates is that they know at least basics on how to maintain a bike and are motivated to do so.

i get pretty detailed in my listings and just love bikes. i honestly do feel a responsibility to make sure the buyer is taken care of simply because they share the same passion as myself

not saying a "heres my bike, buy it" listing is a guaranteed disaster since sometimes these guys just want to get rid of nice stuff; theres just more left to chance

also if you can get some detailed pics it is pretty easy to assume how much general use time the bike has seen...looking at general condition of downtube, chainstays, cranks...can tell you an indication of how much of a beating it has seen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    what is this?why?
    play is basically any looseness or wiggle that can be felt in the bike...ideally you want zero play anywhere on a bike. push/piull on cranks with foot and tug around in different directions with one hand on rear swingarm and one on front triangle; also check headset/cockpit and wheels/hubs...if you feel noticable wiggle anywhere ask the seller if he can explain, but in general you probably want to walk away

some play can be solved with new bearings that isnt that expensive, but if the place the bearing sits in is worn away at all, that creates permanent play that basically cannot be solved

mtbr member
    Thanks guys I just found a great deal (I think) on pinkbike it's a 2012 Giant Trance X3 2012 and it's 1600$ it seems in realy good condition

mtbr member
    Price is way too high. You can get a 2013 new for less than that.

Giant Trance X3 - Bicycles and gear for every type of riding - Giant, Santa Cruz, Diamondback, Raleigh, Felt, Fox & more

This is from a bike shop in my area.
    Trance X 3 - 2013
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 08-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    thanks alot how much should I ask?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailrider2013 View Post
    thanks alot how much should I ask?
    Can't tell, you didn't post the ad. For the price, you're really better off buying new and getting a warranty with it. Being that you can get a 2013 for 1200-1400, I wouldn't pay more than 1k for it. If he tells you to go piss in the wind, then you have your answer.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Trance X3 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

The bike is looking new in the add <---- just saw that the photo was taken when he got the bike.. LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Price is way too high. You can get a 2013 new for less than that.

Giant Trance X3 - Bicycles and gear for every type of riding - Giant, Santa Cruz, Diamondback, Raleigh, Felt, Fox & more

This is from a bike shop in my area.
    Trance X 3 - 2012
    The bikes you listed me were 2013 the 2012 is this one Trance X3 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

perpetual pucker factor
    yeah, and for the X3, that seems a pretty steep price. My brother just sold a flawless 2011 Reign with really high end components on it, and $1500 was all he could get. For 1600, that bike should come with at least some X9/XT components and higher end brakes. But the bike is still a good one though. Best of luck
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    everybike on pb has only been ridden once or twice, whether it is indeed true is to be determined. just my 2 c

mtbr member
    Guys it's a 2012 not a 2013 check on the giant website I listed higher!

mtbr member
    No offense but what don't you get about a NEW 2013 for $1200-$1400 being better than a USED 2012 for $1600?
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    No offense but what don't you get about a NEW 2013 for $1200-$1400 being better than a USED 2012 for $1600?
    A new Trance x3 won't be better than the 2012, the cheapest 2013 (1500) has a rockshox tk with a coil and giant's rear suspension..

mtbr member
    Ah, I see now. I stand corrected. I didn't expect them to decrease the spec so much over 1 year. Still that price is several hundred dollars too high for that bike.
    LMB

mtbr member
    1400$ is that good?