mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Buying a Gary Fisher HKEK, What Size ??

I went to ride them the other day. Im by no means a tall guy at all....Im about 5'7", maybe 5'8".

I drove the 17.5 frame and it just felt kinda small....Almost like my other bike did..Like I have TOO much control almost... I rode the 19 around and it defiently felt bigger and better just a bit less control than the 17.5.

Im coming off a junk GT mountain bike with a really small frame that Ive owned since about 1998 so bare with me guys....

I just kinda wanted to make the thread to see what people are riding?? If you are inbetween sizes, if you went up a size or down a size. Its a huge decision since is $1000.

Anyother question, how do you like the bike ?? Of course the question comes up of, do I go with rear suspension or not. Im kinda leaning towards NOT.

-matt

Is the HKEK a Good choise among the array of bikes out there ??

mtbr member
    The Hoo Koo E Koo isnt a All mountain bike, its about as cross country as beer drinkers get. Ive spent a good bit of time on one and i wouldnt take it off a 3 foot drop more then once or twice. Thats not to say its not a good bike, its an awsome cross country bike that i love to ride. I use a ThudBuster seat post for that extra little bit of comfort on long rides, it works great so you dont need full suspension.

As far as sizing goes, Its what feels right to you. Id say that the 19 would just take some getting used too.
    Floridas Other Crazy White Guy....http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php

mtbr member
    Definitely the wrong place for this question... But here's my $0.02. I'm 6' and ride a 18" (18.5?) Tassajara. I'm sure that you could ride either one, but you need to decide. What's the difference in standover height? Would you be compromising the family jewels if you slipped off the pedals on the 19.5"? Do you feel too cramped on the 17.5"? I'm not sure how much the geometry changes between the two, but those are the questions I would ask myself.

HTH

Freshly Fujified

get the 19

Quote Originally Posted by mattymax
    I drove the 17.5 frame and it just felt kinda small....Almost like my other bike did..Like I have TOO much control almost... I rode the 19 around and it defiently felt bigger and better just a bit less control than the 17.5.

-matt

Is the HKEK a Good choise among the array of bikes out there ??
    The first sentence above says a lot. If it feels better, I say this is the size to get. My guess is that as you get used to the bike and become a better rider, you'll learn to control the bike better. This is something that can be learned. On the contrary, there isn't a whole lot to do about buying a frame that is too small. The only options you have are getting a longer stem and/or a setback seatpost to minimize the cramped feeling.

As for how good the HKEK is, like carnage said, it's a good bike, but probably not the choice for all mountain riding.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    I like riding larger frames. I am 6'2" barefoot with a 34.5" inseam and I loved the feel of the XL Fisher Cake. It was fast and stable and I thought the bike was perfect. When my skills increased and I started tackling obstacles (logs, jumps, steep sections) the bike felt out of it's element. I was stretched so much it was difficult to control. I moved the seat forward and bought a 90mm stem (original was 105mm) to shrink the cockpit. This helped a lot but climbing suffered tremendously from the shortened stem. My front wheel would lift at even the mere thought of a incline. Needless to say a L Cake and Genesis Geometry would have been a better combination for me.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage
    The Hoo Koo E Koo isnt a All mountain bike, its about as cross country as beer drinkers get. Ive spent a good bit of time on one and i wouldnt take it off a 3 foot drop more then once or twice. Thats not to say its not a good bike, its an awsome cross country bike that i love to ride. I use a ThudBuster seat post for that extra little bit of comfort on long rides, it works great so you dont need full suspension.

As far as sizing goes, Its what feels right to you. Id say that the 19 would just take some getting used too.
    The Hoo Koo E Koo is a $1000 bike. What other hardtail mountainbike would be better in a $1000-$1200 range ??

I Figured the HKEK is a MOUNTAIN BIKE.

-matt

mtbr member
    There's a difference between a "mountain bike" and an "All Mountain bike." What the other posters are referring to is the categorization of mountain biking into various groups that are defined by the type of riding done. There are several main groups: XC or cross country, AM or All Mountain, FR or freeride, and DH or downhill. The HKEK fits well in the XC group, being built for riding fast offroad, but not necessarily for jumps, drops, and the like. There are very few hardtails that are designed for AM use. Most people in this area are looking for 4-5" full suspension (or maybe even 6") in a 30 or so lb bike that is almost as good at climbing and better at descending than an XC bike.

Make a little more sense now? As suggested, I'd take the question over to "What Bike to Buy" or maybe "General Discussion" since the only XC forum seems to be focused on racing.

Once again, I hope this helps!