mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Buying a 34 lb hardtail

This seems illogical to me but I've never owned a bike this heavy before. One of the benefits of a hardtail over FS is that they are typically lighter but this bike im looking at weighs about the equivalent of many entry lvl FS bikes. I am in the market for a used AM long travel hardtail with 26 in tires to take on some more technical trails here in Italy. I've been scouring PB for the past month or so and the only thing that has caught my eye is a kona steely which i'm liking everything about except the fact that the stock weight is 34 lbs. The guy wants 550+ shipping. My initial plan was to try and build a bike up but im considering trying to just upgrade this bike piece by piece to my liking but im not sure if i'll end up spending a lot more $$ this way than buying a better bike in the beginning. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    What, are there no "long travel" hardtails in the 40 pound range available? Actually, if all of your riding is such that you ride a cog train or something up the hill, I suppose it doesn't make any difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Steely has pretty good geometry and a durable mix of components - its a good place to start, but gives you plenty of room for upgrades. You will absolutely be able to get that thing under 30 lbs without much effort, and $550 is very affordable. I'm a huge fan of the "upgrade as you go" plan - it gives you incremental parts to work for, and the bike becomes a longer term project.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Plan to spend $2k+ to get it under 30lbs though. At minimum you'll need a new fork and wheels.

The steely might be good though- if your rough on bikes.

I'd check out some of the On One stuff, very affordable and great specs.

On-One 456 Evo 2 Shimano Deore Mountain Bike | On - One

Super Dad
    i have an on one 456 i built up, 31lb all said and done. doesnt feel nearly that heavy. i think alot of it depends on set up and what type of physical coniditon youre in. mine doesnt bother me the slightest