Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Buying a 26"

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9

    Buying a 26"

    This might be part of a never-ending debate...
    but since the year end deals are giving great prices on 2013 bikes, I was wondering if buying a 26" is a bad idea now that most manufacturers have moved to an all 27.5" lineup for 2014?

    There's a great deal on 2013 Lapierre zesty at my LBS, and I have my eye on the full carbon 514 (at 25% off the original price). But now I'm thinking it may be better to wait for the 2014, and maybe pay full price for the less equipped model, the new 327 AM (alluminium), but with 27.5" wheels...

    What do you think? will I find myself "stuck" with the 26" in a few years? (i.e. trouble finding replacement parts, impossible to sell, and feeling outdated on the trail?)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    363
    If you're happy riding it, I'd snap it up. if anything, consumables should probably drop in price since demand will be lower. If the parts set is what you want, you should need upgrades, provided you take care of your new baby. I'd say go for it. All the new wheel sizes will have at least a few years of newer optimized geometry coming out (which means, they don't have it dialed yet) each year. Conversely, there's been how many years of figuring out the 26" geometry. Get 26" and you get the best 26" has ever been.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,834
    Just buy the darn thing. 26" rims & tires aren't going to disappear anytime soon, and if you're worried about that you can easily hoard some spares. Let me put it this way, I'm riding a bike with an 8 speed drivetrain, 8 speed was killed off nearly 15 years ago and I can still easily find parts for my bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    158
    As 26" is on its way out with most manufacturers and the discounts are good, I would snap up a bargain.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thiago7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    62

    Re: Buying a 26"

    In august I boght a Focus FSL 3 carbon with xo and x9 componets, dt wheels.
    Original price $5200 I payed $2300. Just buy the bike.


    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying a 26"-uploadfromtaptalk1387028703423.jpg  


  6. #6
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,465
    If you want a 26er go for it.
    The only things that you wouldn't be able to replace in time are the fork, tyres, and wheels. Everything else can be replaced no matter what happens to the 26er.
    If and when they stop making 26" forks and wheels, then convert the front to 27.5 and keep the front wheel and tyre in case you need to replace the rear.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

    Forth Eorlingas!

  7. #7
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Just buy the darn thing. 26" rims & tires aren't going to disappear anytime soon, and if you're worried about that you can easily hoard some spares. Let me put it this way, I'm riding a bike with an 8 speed drivetrain, 8 speed was killed off nearly 15 years ago and I can still easily find parts for my bike.
    8 speed is still around today, just not for top of the line bikes.
    In 2001, Gary Fisher still used 7 speeds, so I don't know where you got your data.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

    Forth Eorlingas!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by asafchar View Post
    I was wondering if buying a 26" is a bad idea now that most manufacturers have moved to an all 27.5" lineup for 2014?
    Well considering Specialized don't even offer a 27.5" I'm sure you'll be right with a 26er. I don't think 26" wheels will ever completely go away, they offer a higher strength to weight ratio and high volume tyre castings allow for larger rolling diameters.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,438
    26" wheels aint going anywhere. the 29/27.5 thing will cool down in the next 5-7 years or so and a lot of people will be back on 26ers
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  10. #10
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    26" wheels aint going anywhere. the 29/27.5 thing will cool down in the next 5-7 years or so and a lot of people will be back on 26ers
    I wouldn't be so sure about that.
    The debate is between 26 and 27. They are practically the same wheel size. Have you seen any large numbers of 29ers replaced by 27.5? No! Have you seen large numbers of 26ers replaced by 27.5? YES!
    If anything, 27" is just the new 26" and 29ers will live happily ever after.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

    Forth Eorlingas!

  11. #11
    Ow!
    Reputation: clydecrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    697
    Buy the 26". The only items that make it a 26" are the frame, rims and tires. The frame you will have. The rims and tires will be around for a long time (a decade or more). While rim and tire manufacturers are including 27.5 and 29 more and more, the majors (like Mavic) are not about to stop production on the 26ers. Even if there are fewer 26" forks, you can still use a 27.5" fork (no matter what Fox says).

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10
    Don't be so crazy, why would you buy an outdated dinosaur of a 26 inch wheeled bike, don't you read all the mags, you will be 25% faster on a 27.5, have more contact patch for faster turning and accelarate up every technical climb. Seriously as others have stated when you are out riding your 26inch bike just think of all that money you saved and you will soon forgot about some bogus 27.5 wheel.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by asafchar View Post
    This might be part of a never-ending debate...
    but since the year end deals are giving great prices on 2013 bikes, I was wondering if buying a 26" is a bad idea now that most manufacturers have moved to an all 27.5" lineup for 2014?

    There's a great deal on 2013 Lapierre zesty at my LBS, and I have my eye on the full carbon 514 (at 25% off the original price). But now I'm thinking it may be better to wait for the 2014, and maybe pay full price for the less equipped model, the new 327 AM (alluminium), but with 27.5" wheels...

    What do you think? will I find myself "stuck" with the 26" in a few years? (i.e. trouble finding replacement parts, impossible to sell, and feeling outdated on the trail?)
    So, you're willing to pay more for a downgraded frame ( Alu vs. carbon), and lower parts spec, because you'll get a wheel that is 1" larger in diameter?

    You will not notice the rolling diameter when it's "newness" wears off, however you will likely replace many of the down graded parts that were spec'ed just so you could be " current". Perhaps a stiffer wheelset will need to be built to compensate for the additional lateral flex. Just how bad was the 26" wheel treating you before 650b came on the scene?

    26"rims and tires aren't going away, and as stated, you can easily run a 650b fork on a 26" frame...especially for all mountain, where people have been over-forking their rides for years.

    Save your money, the cost to benefit just isn't there in your shopping situtation.

  14. #14
    Redcoat
    Reputation: Brockwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    988
    I just bought a 26er 2013 trigger 2 carbon frame. i have no doubts ill be able to keep the components stocked for a while to come yet.

    buy it.

  15. #15
    Redcoat
    Reputation: Brockwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by ndog1980 View Post
    Don't be so crazy, why would you buy an outdated dinosaur of a 26 inch wheeled bike, don't you read all the mags, you will be 25% faster on a 27.5, have more contact patch for faster turning and accelarate up every technical climb. Seriously as others have stated when you are out riding your 26inch bike just think of all that money you saved and you will soon forgot about some bogus 27.5 wheel.
    You just made two contrasting statements as one statement...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,107
    I'll ride a 26" until they no longer make parts for them. Just buy the 26" bike. You'll have a hell of alot more fun with smaller wheels.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9
    Thank you for all the replies (especially the cynical ones, which made me laugh). They helped me make my decision whole heartedly.

    I bought the 26" carbon zesty last week, and have so far immensly enjoyed it! Amazing bike!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    288
    Ditto, I rode a 29er for a while and went back to a 26er, so much more fun. I'm thinking that's what it's all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    I'll ride a 26" until they no longer make parts for them. Just buy the 26" bike. You'll have a hell of alot more fun with smaller wheels.

Similar Threads

  1. Buying 2013 Specialized Crossroads for first "big boy" bike...
    By CoastalBiking in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 04:17 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 07:25 AM
  3. For all your "Buying a Bike" questions...
    By TikiGoddess in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM
  4. Is buying your first "nice" bike always this hard?
    By marcymarc in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
  5. the "stop buying $#!^ before Christmas" Blues
    By RobinGB in forum Passion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •