mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Buy used or cheaper bike ou there?

I've really been looking at the all mountain category for my next mountain bike, i have a rockhopper and found i'm skimping and going around drops and jumps when one faces me.
    So I started looking around and it seems like the average is around 2400$. I simply cant and wont be able to afford one of these, so the question comes, buy used or are there other options?

edit: sorry about the title

mtbr member
    I wouldn't count out buying used at all. There are great deals to be had on craigslist and other sites. Some people are selling their rides dirt cheap because they need quick cash.

mtbr member
    Well I decided about 2 years back I was done buying anything new, at least toy wise. I've bought 3 used bikes, and a bunch of camera gear. The amount of money I've saved is astonishing. If you're a bit patient, you can find practically new gear for really good deals.

Sir Hurt Locker
    I just bought a used AM bike and I got an amazing deal, I bought the bike from a bike shop mechanic so it is in tip top shape and I am very pleased.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow used is looking good after you guys. What about something new if i don't end up finding something used?

mtbr member
    I checked your profile and see you're from Dallas. You'll find something used on Craigslist easily. If I were you, I would keep an eye on the Austin Craigslist as well. If you're looking for something new, just check all the local shops and see what is on last years closeout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You can check out RScycle. They have some good deals on IronHorse stuff. If you want to go the more "trail" side of AM you can get a MK III and if you want to go the more freeride side you could get a 6point4 or 6point6.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    +1 used; I just finished building a used Yeti 575 frame. I also found a used Pike 454 for it and I re-used my wheels and crank, everything else is new. It feels great and went together for an amazing price.

Gnar
    There is also the option, depending on the condition of the parts on your Rockhopper, of just getting a used frame and transferring your parts over. Of course, you need to have some knowledge and tools to do this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Don't discount the idea of buying closeout/forgotten bike from your LBS. I bought a 2007 never been ridden bike this past winter for about half of the original price.