mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Buy new used 2013 Reign 0 or new 27.5 offerings but at lowest spec?

I'm in the market for my first full suspension bike, and most of the guys I started to ride with have All Mountain bikes, so that's what I'm shopping for.
    I ran across a hardly used 2013 Reign 0 for $3000, and I'm kinda gravitated towards it because of the Maestro suspension and how it climbs well. I'm not the fittest and I have little experience in mtb so I thought the Maestro's attributes(from what i read) would benefit someone like me. That and it's already spec'd with high grade components so I don't have to worry about upgrading later.
    But then I am also kinda interested in the new 2014 27.5 offerings from Trek and Giant, but if I do go that route I would have to resort to the lowest spec models at $3500+ because of my budget.

Also, at my height of 5'6", would the 26" Reign be a better fit, or not?

What route would you recommend I go?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I say demo the bikes and go for what feels good. I passed on 27.5 frame for a 26'er due to a killer deal and I have no regrets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, don't go a 27.5. Just don't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Be aware a barely used Reign 0 will still have no warranty.

mtbr member
    I have a Reign 2 that is closer to a Reign 1 now and couldn't be happier. l am also your size if that makes a difference. $ 3000 may be a good price but I would benchmark against end of summer sales at your LBS since the 2014 models are being rolled out.
    Last edited by tiltedworld; 09-13-2013 at 03:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're set on a reign check out Jenson USA. The reign 1 is about $2800 and will come with a waranty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jk025 View Post
    If you're set on a reign check out Jenson USA. The reign 1 is about $2800 and will come with a waranty
    Speaking of warranty, the Reign did have some linkage / pivot issues a year or two ago, if I recall correctly. I think it has been resolved prior to the 2013 bikes, but I'd still be interested in a warranty on an expensive bike / frame like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Speaking of warranty, the Reign did have some linkage / pivot issues a year or two ago, if I recall correctly. I think it has been resolved prior to the 2013 bikes, but I'd still be interested in a warranty on an expensive bike / frame like that.
    That was the 2010+ Reign X, pretty sure the Reign didn't suffer from linkage issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    That was the 2010+ Reign X, pretty sure the Reign didn't suffer from linkage issues.
    Thanks for the correction!

gravity fighter
    At your height, 26" just makes sense being (potentially) cheaper, stronger, lighter, better parts for less $ etc...

mtbr member
    go demo as many as you can. buy what you like the best
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    no man............ havnt you heard.................... 26 is dead and gone.............. extinct............outdated.............. and will soon be obsolete for parts. I would definatly go 27.5 or 29..

what do you do for a living? where you can throw 3g's at a bike; and your new to mtb and not even sure about it. if you really dig mtb, the bike; so much wont matter. while it can make differences in performance, its rather riding whatever, that gets you stoked or not. spend half that on something used and see if your still riding it in 6 months. if your not, sell it and get most your money back. if you are, sell it and upgrade. and you will have a total better idea of what it is your looking for in a bike, and be more exposed to whats what at that point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    no man............ havnt you heard.................... 26 is dead and gone.............. extinct............outdated.............. and will soon be obsolete for parts. I would definatly go 27.5 or 29..

what do you do for a living? where you can throw 3g's at a bike; and your new to mtb and not even sure about it. if you really dig mtb, the bike; so much wont matter. while it can make differences in performance, its rather riding whatever, that gets you stoked or not. spend half that on something used and see if your still riding it in 6 months. if your not, sell it and get most your money back. if you are, sell it and upgrade. and you will have a total better idea of what it is your looking for in a bike, and be more exposed to whats what at that point.
    That is probably the best advice I have seen on here for someone like me looking into getting a Mtn bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Yeah, don't go a 27.5. Just don't.
    Please return to posting on Pinkbike, STAT.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Thanks for the correction!
    Then problem was allegedly a weak drive side lower link caused by the cut aways for the ISCG tabs. The 2013 Reign has ISCG tabs. Mine is fine but it hasn't done a lot of miles yet and they may well have beefed up the linkage.