mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Butcher control/Purg control for hardtail

Anyone running butcher control front and purgatory control rear on their all mountain hardtail?

Any input appreciated... specifically the butcher control as a front tire on a trail/all mountain hardtail.

usually cranky
    i am but on a fs 29er. fantastic setup though i recommend a ground control in the rear over a purg. faster and lighter.

EDR
    I'm running a ust purg up front, it's good for my terrain....loose over hardpack. No way I'd use control series tires ever again though in the rocky desert....GRID UST for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Butcher control isn't overkill for trail riding right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hell no. I often run that as a front and a prgatory control rear on my (drumroll) sanat cruz Butcher.
    Great combo. Both are light and grippy tires. But like EDR said, keep the Control casings away from sharp rocks, haha
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

Trips for Kids Denver
    I love my 29er 2.4 Purg on the front of my FS Rumblefish and I have been getting away with a 2.2 Captain Control out back but I've scraped the sidewall on the Captain a few times and now there are micro stan's bubbles all over the sidewall. Never seen that before. I'm talking hundreds of them in little rows.

Grid UST front to back from now on.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The butcher is a a pretty slow and heavy tire, but I would say it is definitely very grippy. Great winter tire, or heavy trail tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Butcher sx with a tube: 925 + 190 grams: slow and heavy
    Butcher control tubeless...760 grams..not that heavy. Sure its no xc race tire but since the OP said trail/am I think its fine for that, especially on teh front with a faster rolling tire like the new Purg on the back. I pedal mine all over the place. Hell thryre my lightest tires!
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the butcher control is a pretty good tire up front and in the control casing its not heavy or slow. for the rear i like the new ground control WAY better than the purgatory. rolls great, handles great, and has better climbing traction than the purgatory.

@twowheelfunman: the control tires have a tendency to do that once in a while, but i have never noticed it causing any adverse effects.
    Juice

RideDirt
    Get the Butcher in SX casing

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Anyone running butcher control front and purgatory control rear on their all mountain hardtail?

Any input appreciated... specifically the butcher control as a front tire on a trail/all mountain hardtail.
    Not a HT, but I run a Butcher Control front / Purg Control rear on my 5-Spot.

Butcher is an absolute winner up front, IMO. Not at all "too much". Not the fastest out there, but it makes much less difference on the front than on the rear. Been running it for about a year.

Not sure why you are so concerned with HT-specific experience on a front tire.

I just mounted a Purg control on the rear. Only had two rides, but I like it OK. Rolls well enough. Not as fast as the Ground Control it replaced, but much better traction (drive, braking, and cornering)
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvpr View Post
    The butcher is a a pretty slow and heavy tire, but I would say it is definitely very grippy. Great winter tire, or heavy trail tire.
    compared to other similar tires like the hd and minion not at all.

RideDirt
    Rolling resistance should be your main concern , not weight .

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Not a HT, but I run a Butcher Control front / Purg Control rear on my 5-Spot.

Butcher is an absolute winner up front, IMO. Not at all "too much". Not the fastest out there, but it makes much less difference on the front than on the rear. Been running it for about a year.

Not sure why you are so concerned with HT-specific experience on a front tire.

I just mounted a Purg control on the rear. Only had two rides, but I like it OK. Rolls well enough. Not as fast as the Ground Control it replaced, but much better traction (drive, braking, and cornering)
    No specific reason regarding HT specific... just trying to build up my trail hardtail a bit more aggressive to handle some of the same trails as my FS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm running clutch control on both F&R of my AM HT. They last like forever. I do have butcher controls on my FS, and found that they are narrower than clutch control and chunder control(discontinued). Same goes for SX and DH casings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I'm running a ust purg up front, it's good for my terrain....loose over hardpack. No way I'd use control series tires ever again though in the rocky desert....GRID UST for me.
    x2 as I have tore two control purg controls AND two purg armadillo control casing this past year and only tore one butcher control up front (now has tube and is fine). Would definitely go UST casing at least on back of AM hardtail as tires/wheels take a pounding or Butcher SX front/back tubeless as that is about same weight as control casings w/tubes with no pinch flats to fret. Control casings don't last that long out back, unless it is a Clutch Control which is the only one I have yet to kill prematurely, but is fairly slow tire.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=jgusta;10007159]x2 or Butcher SX front/back tubeless as that is about same weight as control casings w/tubes with no pinch flats to fret. QUOTE]

I will say, Ive had very good luck running the sx butchers tubeless (on ust rims...but can only recommend doing that on the back, i never trust "ghetto" tubeless on teh front.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dwyooaj;10007378]
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    x2 or Butcher SX front/back tubeless as that is about same weight as control casings w/tubes with no pinch flats to fret. QUOTE]

I will say, Ive had very good luck running the sx butchers tubeless (on ust rims...but can only recommend doing that on the back, i never trust "ghetto" tubeless on teh front.
    I'm running Stans rims so can run just about any tire tubeless w/sealant to seal the pores as needed. I am running a 2.3 Purg UST on rear right now with no sealant and pretty stoked that I haven't lost any air over past few weeks, even with pretty hard riding. The casing and tire just feels stiffer and tougher to me than a Purg control with no perceived increased rolling resistance with the added rolling weight and even added some more grip/traction due to being able to run a little less psi due to thicker casing than control version. Was running Butcher Control w/sealant with no probs for a whole year and Enduro season until I got a small tear at the bead from landing a good sized drop in the rocks at speed a week or so ago that sealant wouldn't hold. So got tube in it for time being since much tread life left and no races to sweat pinch flats with this time of year. Curious if the SX's require sealant to hold air or thick enough to seal without?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good information in this thread everyone. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=jgusta;10007691]
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post

Curious if the SX's require sealant to hold air or thick enough to seal without?
    IME, need sealant.
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    I have the Butcher Control 2.3 and the Purgatory 2.2 on the back of my Banshee Rune and I love it! It rolls pretty fast and so far has had plenty of traction up and down.