Thread: Burping Tire

I like bikes

Burping Tire

Hey everyone. I keep having trouble with my tubeless set-up on my RM Slayer. I am running Maxxis Ardents tubeless. My rims were tubeless ready, but not UST.
    I ran them tubeless last year, but didn't get to ride the bike much after doing so. Anyway, I have lost the bead twice while out riding. Both time was on a 4' drop to
    flat...which I landed heavy on. The second time was at the bottom of a steep hill and the lateral force from me adjusting my direction at the bottom of a G-out to hit
    a step-up on the other side, "Popped" the bead like a gun going off!!!

Am I asking too much from my tubeless set-up? Would a wire-bead vs. Foldable prevent this? It is my first time trying it. I like the feel on single-track, the Zero pinch
    flat factor, but the bigger hits are making me question wether or not I should even run tubeless in the rear. Thoughts?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What pressure are your tires at? You could be a little under-inflated or that particular tie & rim just may not work well together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What pressures are you rubbing? Too low pressures can cause it. You using sealant?
    Wire beads area significantly sturdier, I wouldn't run non-wire bead tubeless personally.

I like bikes
    I think I am gonna run the tube for the season in the rear and replace the tire next season with a wire bead and give it a go. Thanks for the replies.

insert sarcasm here
    Don't give up on tubeless yet. Try some true UST tires first (assuming your Ardents aren't UST). The burly sidewalls and bead should allow you to run low 20's without burping.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    Don't give up on tubeless yet. Try some true UST tires first (assuming your Ardents aren't UST). The burly sidewalls and bead should allow you to run low 20's without burping.
    You know what else does that? A tube.

My tires keep falling off but the internet says tubeless its awesome so imma keep doing it. Dumbest fad in the last 10 years.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    You know what else does that? A tube.

My tires keep falling off but the internet says tubeless its awesome so imma keep doing it. Dumbest fad in the last 10 years.
    No need to be a prick about it.

For some it is a great solution. When I rode with tubes I flatted nearly every ride, even at 35psi. Granted I was on a hardtail at the time and ride pretty aggressively, but it was also not on super gnarly terrain. I had rim strikes on the rear tire at 27psi, so no way in hell I could run low 20s without pinch flatting.

In the two years since that I've been tubeless, I've only flatted twice due to sidewall cuts. And I also don't break traction on steep uphills as easy as I did at 35psi.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    No need to be a prick about it.

For some it is a great solution. When I rode with tubes I flatted nearly every ride, even at 35psi. Granted I was on a hardtail at the time and ride pretty aggressively, but it was also not on super gnarly terrain. I had rim strikes on the rear tire at 27psi, so no way in hell I could run low 20s without pinch flatting.

In the two years since that I've been tubeless, I've only flatted twice due to sidewall cuts. And I also don't break traction on steep uphills as easy as I did at 35psi.
    It's frustration. There are several of these threads going at any one time and I just don't get it. It's dangerous.

Try a tire with a good sidewall such as EXO or snake skin, a high quality lightweight tube and baby powder. I worry about denting rims not pinch flats.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    It's frustration. There are several of these threads going at any one time and I just don't get it. It's dangerous.

Try a tire with a good sidewall such as EXO or snake skin, a high quality lightweight tube and baby powder. I worry about denting rims not pinch flats.
    Fair enough

mtbr member

Re: Burping Tire

What's the baby powder for?

mtbr member
    It allows the tube to move inside the tire. It greatly reduces the chance of a pinch flat. Old BMX trick.
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    It also reduces friction between the tube and tire. Fat bikers use the same trick as well.

If your setup keeps failing, you shouldn't keep using it, so some change is in order. It could call for a different rim or tire, perhaps a rim strip, another round of rim tape around the wheel... It's certainly not the same as "keep doing it" as DJ Giggity suggested.

A tube is one option as well, but setting up a tubeless that doesn't burp in your use is certainly not impossible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have had 100% success with tubeless with reasonably aggressive riding but:
    1) I don't go for too low pressure - minimum 28 front 30 rear or tires start to feel too vague;
    2) I use only UST or UST compatible tires;
    3) Rims are true UST.

But frankly if I have ever had blowout landing jump I would not give tubeless second chance

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    On the second thought I don't understand how just adding soft and flexible tube with all other factors equal will help in a case of bead separation. Being immune from pinch flats made people able to ride ridiculously low pressures - I have read about 18 psi and even lower. It just does not work with flexible tires and aggressive riding. May be stiffer downhill casings would help.

I like bikes
    Thanks again for all the replies. I'm not wanting to give up on tubeless. My wife has been running tubeless for two seasons, at it works well for her. But she doesn't hammer her bike as much as I do.
    I do like the feel of tubeless. It is a noticeable difference for sure. As I stated earlier, it is only when I go into "Freeride" mode that it has done this. I ride a lot of technical rooty
    singletrack where I live, and tubeless works well here. I think I will look at the wire-bead/UST tire options for the rear and see what's available at my LBS.

mtbr member
    Try an additional round of tape around the rim first, it'll be far cheaper and easier to try than new tires.

mountain biker
    what rim are you using? tire bead could have stretched a little. I run tubeless for xc riding (though I have a 160mm bike and like to get aggressive), and tubes for DH. My experience has been that I can't trust tubeless when really pushing the tires hard: high speed berms, cutties, drops to flat, landing sideways from a whip.... I'd say it depends on your weight, riding style and terrain...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had a similar experience running an Ardent 2.25 folding tire (non-UST) with a Mavic Crosstrail UST wheel setup tubless...

I landed a jump at high speed and the rear tire blew completely off the rim. Sounded like a 20ga shotgun! Luckily, I was able to get the bike stopped without landing on my a$$ (ever tried to stop on only front brakes at speed, going downhill? Lots of fun) and the damage to the rim was minimal. Im a bigger guy, and it was the first time I had really hucked the bike with the Ardent on the back, so Im not really sure why it happened other than the tire not being a true UST. I was running 38 psi, and the landing was pretty soft...anyways, I swapped out the Ardent to a Bronson 2.3 UST and the performance is just as good if not better (even with the heavier tire), and Ive hit the same jump at the same speed at 35 psi with no issues...

mtbr member
    Well, I for one made the switch to tubless and haven't looked back. I had a run of tube issues, three different issues in three different rides. I used to race DH, with the older IRC Missles, so I know how to keep air in tires, LOL. That said, the stan's setup on UST rims has been bullet proof for me, save one bad jump landing that ripped the chords on the sidewalls of some very pricey Conti Trail Kings.. My fault, you land crappy, stuff's gonna happen.

So my question to the OP is this, how long has the Stan's been in your tire when you started burping? Assuming your using a sealer.. The non usb rims can have a ton of varring issues.. tubeless ready should work though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    1- I have read report of blown Ardent due to slack bead. So try other tyres, TR or UST.
    2- Your rim is perharps TR, but did you use a flap since your tyres are not?
    3- Use more air. And use a good combinaison like TR/UST rim with TR/UST tyres.

I had a true blurp on my setup (Maxxis advantage, fulcrum red power XL with noflat kit), but it was only partial and I still had more than 20psi after it. No I am moving to a UST/TR setup.

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    So my question to the OP is this, how long has the Stan's been in your tire when you started burping? Assuming your using a sealer.. The non usb rims can have a ton of varring issues.. tubeless ready should work though.
    The Stan's was in the tire for a week. I am running Maxxis Ardents (foldable). My rims are DT Swiss M 480 Tubeless Compatible. As I stated earlier. I think I am going to use UST tires next go around, and see how they do. Having a tire come off the bead is unacceptable to me. Running a tubeless tire at over 40 psi is just about as useless....kinda defeats the purpose of running tubeless for me. I had 35 PSI in the tire pre-ride. After the many great responses, I think it is the foldable bead. If I end up having more issues I will just buy some ENVE Carbons to make up for the dam tube weight!!! lol.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Welp, I don't know if it helps, but I feel your pain. I have a friend who has the tricon rims and he was running the racing Ralph's, he was rolling the rear and burping it every ride. He went to the cross king and has been fine. He also is getting a set of enve's and he'll throw on the Ralph's to try them again. It might come down to a rim tire combo that for what ever reason doesn't work.

Good luck though! Tubeless for me has been awesome, and I won't ever go back to tubes.