mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Burly Chain and Rear Derailleur?

Well I went through 4 XT's last year and just lost my first X.9 of the season this year (most likely due to yet another chain snaping on me mid climb).

Any sugestions on a burly chain and RD for a 6 foot 5 240 lb guy.
    Last edited by jynxfactor; 08-07-2006 at 01:59 PM.

Out Of Control
    Sounds like yer a big dood and snapping chains is gonna be part of the game for you. May I suggest a motorcycle chain? SRAM make a great chain (991) I have one of them on the DH and have absolutely no problems with it. It also has the power clip (removable) which is super nice on the trail. Maybe try one of the Saint or XO (with the steel cage) rear derails to compliment the chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    learn how to spin and stay in the seat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sounds like you need to look more closely at your riding style. Are you shifting gears when the drivetrain is heavily loaded? Or maybe your chain is simply too short?

I certainly wouldn't suggest investing in an X0 rear mech at this stage!!!!!

BTW I use Sram chains with an X9 mech and weigh close to 200 lbs. Never broken one yet.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    534287haroZXN3543- Spinning is for people that don't know how to mash!

UK - wasn't shifting at the time (well this last time) and it shouldn't be the chain length, I was in 1,4 at the time. there should have been plenty to spare even if the chain was short.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    saint stuff is supposed to be pretty bombproof... i'd give that a try, with a highend SRAM chain

i run Saint cranks, and they're the fockin shnitzel!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What chain do you use ?
    If Shimano : Did you puted the special pin correclty
    If Sram : Switch to shimano chain

Last edited by Megaclocker; 08-08-2006 at 08:30 PM.

baggin ho's
    I've broken EVERY shimano chain that has EVER been on my mountain bike. Seriously, every one.I have scars to prove it. My suggestion is to buy the cheapest SRAM chain you can find and replace it often you can buy 2-3 cheapo's for every 991 you buy and the quality of the 991 isn't better it's just lighter. shimano chains IMO are crap, made by KMC. actually KMC branded chains are pretty good too, they had the first "powerlink" design and are pretty bombproof, but the $20.00 SRAM's are better.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I always recomend saint stuff too but no one listens...for 6 mechs you broke you might consider upgrading.

Its not blingy its just black.

x-9, xt, xtr, xo all look nice but they still bolt on the hanger.

Oh but beware its rapid rise. But notice the cable placement. Its at the top so when there is a hit there is no tension with the cable. As well as the arm that attaches to the axle absorbs much of the hits. This is a hone on saint.

Also try checking of your front mech is shifting properly you can jam the chain at the top ring and it breaks the chain. This happens on a partial shift and the mech goes back down on the second ring with the chain firmly planted between the outer ring and the mech arm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SLX; 08-09-2006 at 12:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jynxfactor
    534287haroZXN3543- Spinning is for people that don't know how to mash!

UK - wasn't shifting at the time (well this last time) and it shouldn't be the chain length, I was in 1,4 at the time. there should have been plenty to spare even if the chain was short.
    Yeah, but the damage was probably already done earlier if you know what I mean. Seriously 4 mechs per year means something is wrong. How often do you ride? Do you often smack them on rocks etc? Stuff breaks, but not that often.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]